Carothers and Guns

If /when I ever have to get a CCW, it'll most likely be a DA S&W .357, probably a the mid size J-frame 60 Pro model :)

I agree Mat. I’ve been carrying my trusty old Ruger SP101 with Remington 357 Mag SJHP. Much less firepower than my Glocks, but I just like carrying a revolver for some reason.:thumbsup::)
4dKbKnE.jpg

I knew about CA (and a few other states) with 10-rd restrictions, but thought it was just a restriction on higher capacity magazines.

I hadn't heard about CA's DOJ needing to individually approve specific models (and in this case, merely newer generations of the exact same model) of firearm.

The gen4 Glocks have been out for years at this point (and even the G5 has been out for a bit now), which means they're really going slow at adding anything to the list. It's not as if the G4/5 Glocks suddenly added full auto to the features or anything. It's mostly small changes (many of them cosmetic, like finger grooves vs no finger grooves etc.).

Yup, that's the whole thing. The manufacturer will have to submit application or whatever paperwork it is for all the nuanced or just subtle little changes, as you have mentioned for CA-DOJ to scrutinize to approve/disapprove. There's too much red-tape and PITA so most manufacturer's just say fudge it! OTOH, G17/G19-Gen3 are still old-school faves of some :D

Last edited:
Yup, that's the whole thing. The manufacturer will have to submit application or whatever paperwork it is for all the nuanced or just subtle little changes, as you have mentioned for CA-DOJ to scrutinize to approve/disapprove. There's too much red-tape and PITA so most manufacturer's just say fudge it! OTOH, G17/G19-Gen3 are still old-school faves of some :D

I may be wrong, because I read about the requirements a long time ago. The approval process also includes third party physical tests (including things like a drop test), and is quite expensive.

I would think that companies like Glock, would make the expenses back on future sales. But it sounds like it really is a major PITA. Mike

I may be wrong, because I read about the requirements a long time ago. The approval process also includes third party physical tests (including things like a drop test), and is quite expensive.

I would think that companies like Glock, would make the expenses back on future sales. But it sounds like it really is a major PITA. Mike

Well in addition to a million dollar extortion fee there is also the drop test, Mag lock, Loaded chamber indicator and external safety requirements. most importantly though is Microstamping which makes it impossible so the CA DOJ essentially prevented all new semi auto guns to be approved. The revolver "loophole" as they call it is pretty simple, it just needs the clinton locking device hole. one of the dumbest ideas to ever be approved but alas we are in even dumber times currently. the goal is not safety, it is and always has been prevention of of supply.

After what seems like months of working on this in spare moments I finally finished up my lightweight woods walking rig. With the exception of the aluminum strap adjuster I used all titanium hardware that's not very visible in this picture. The pistol is a S&W .22 kit gun, and of course the CPK Light Chopper.

IMG_3480.jpg

Very nice work sir.

What do you use to space your stitching holes?

Thanks!

There's a little "stitch spacing" lever on my commercial saddle stitcher :)

It's a modern version of an almost 100 year old design so stitch length is a combination of lever position and leather thickness, no a numeric value. It's a mechanically set length determined by the position of the lever in relationship to the spacer wheel. Simplified: if you leave the lever position the same the stitch will be shorter on thick stacks and longer on thin ones. I have a second one coming soon that has finer control over stitch length and style but won't punch through as thick of a stack of leather, so it's more versatile in some areas, less in others.

I'm not a fan of kydex when it comes to my pricier toys (CPK / handguns). It doesn't make sense for me to ship out a handgun but darn Chad does exquisite work. Almost tempted unless Chad also carries a mold/model of every handgun :D

I've looked around for my CZ P-01 and the most recommended mass production leatherwork which I've seen were from HighNoon Holsters.

After what seems like months of working on this in spare moments I finally finished up my lightweight woods walking rig. With the exception of the aluminum strap adjuster I used all titanium hardware that's not very visible in this picture. The pistol is a S&W .22 kit gun, and of course the CPK Light Chopper.

View attachment 1261644
That looks awesome!

I might have to contact you about a rig like that for my MC, but in black :)

Argh.

I wish I'd never seen that kit gun now that I've seen the price.

Trade you for a behemoth chopper prototype?

The Ruger LCR22 can do the job, just not nearly as pretty when doing so- but it does come in way cheaper.
I’ve used a Colt Woodsman, Match Target, with a 4 inch barrel, then moved on to a Walther P22 ( cool gun, but kinda junk ), then on to a Ruger 22/45 Lite when I bought my Dead Air Mask, and have since settled on a S&W M&P 22 Compact. The S&W is just about perfect for not being a revolver. It’s accurate, reliable, mags are cheap, and my suppressor pairs with it perfectly.
I still have the itch for a nice TRUE to form “kit gun”, a revolver, but like you pointed out- they’re not inexpensive. It’ll stay on the want list with the S&W Mountain gun in 44 mag until funds arise or I find someone willing to trade for something else I can live without.

Last edited:
Back