Carothers and Guns

I looked into the models which I texted you about. Local gun stores have literally been ransacked in the COVID pandemonium so I will now bid my time. If the sky doesn't fall, I expect to see some of those first time buyers who purchased heavy calibers, may end up consigning back to the retailer. Maybe there will be some great deals on unfired & only fondled handguns. For now, I think that I will just buy some more ammo and magazines whenever I can.
I have no doubt that there will be deals to be had, and that goes for everything including vehicles etc.

The current void of not owning a full size semi-auto handgun bugs the sh*t outta me! I've gone all back and forth with bolt action rifle, semi-auto rifle, lever action rifle, etc... No use and not much interest anyway in which I dice/slice this. I'm not a hunter least of which because of where I live! I supposed if one day, I end up living in the sticks, I will just buy a cannon for a rifle: a hard to manage and relatively inaccurate lever-action 45-70 because I luv to challenge myself at how much I reallysuck and enjoy going hungry...

I just enjoy handgun shooting as a sport man! So back to this full-size conundrum, I keep coming back to a .45 ACP 1911. Once things open up, I will be seeking the best that I can get here in Cali: a Dan Wesson :thumbsup: We only have a couple of his models here as an approved on the CA DOJ roster and they ain't cheap at $1500+ possibly 2K plus once buy ammo and holster and other fees. This decision will most likely force me to sell off a couple of very very noiyce CPKs, sorry Nathan!

The current void of not owning a full size semi-auto handgun bugs the sh*t outta me! I've gone all back and forth with bolt action rifle, semi-auto rifle, lever action rifle, etc... No use and not much interest anyway in which I dice/slice this. I'm not a hunter least of which because of where I live! I supposed if one day, I end up living in the sticks, I will just buy a cannon for a rifle: a hard to manage and relatively inaccurate lever-action 45-70 because I luv to challenge myself at how much I reallysuck and enjoy going hungry...

I just enjoy handgun shooting as a sport man! So back to this full-size conundrum, I keep coming back to a .45 ACP 1911. Once things open up, I will be seeking the best that I can get here in Cali: a Dan Wesson :thumbsup: We only have a couple of his models here as an approved on the CA DOJ roster and they ain't cheap at $1500+ possibly 2K plus once buy ammo and holster and other fees. This decision will most likely force me to sell off a couple of very very noiyce CPKs, sorry Nathan!

If you go Dan Wesson (which I highly recommend!), think twice about their Stainless model. There are instances, unfortunately, of them galling on the slide rails. Their black, proprietary armor coating is quite frankly amazing how it holds up. And it prevents the galling. My black VBob is about 8 years old, and has been carried daily much of that time and looks basically new. Can't say enough good about Dan Wesson!

If you go Dan Wesson (which I highly recommend!), think twice about their Stainless model. There are instances, unfortunately, of them galling on the slide rails. Their black, proprietary armor coating is quite frankly amazing how it holds up. And it prevents the galling. My black VBob is about 8 years old, and has been carried daily much of that time and looks basically new. Can't say enough good about Dan Wesson!

Let me look at that DOJ roster limitation again! Thanks T :)

Only these two and both are in SS finish: the 4.3" barreled Commander Bobtail (01912) and the 5" PM7 (01900)... I like the former with the shorter barrel better.

Absolutely! I will not be ordering online... Willing to pay more to the retailer who will have one in stock :thumbsup:

Well, you are armed with intelligence now. Buy with confidence, and absolutely(!) follow the break in instructions. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if that's all I had access to. Without a doubt one of the better 1911's out there for the money.

Only these two and both are in SS finish: the 4.3" barreled Commander Bobtail (01912) and the 5" PM7 (01900)... I like the former with the shorter barrel better.
CA's laws are a little confusing.

Just to clarify, are you saying that those are the only ones the LGS has in stock, or are you saying that the CA approved list is as picky as specifying specific finishes (i.e. the black finish recommended to you isn't listed, therefore it's SS or nothing)?

CA's laws are a little confusing.

Just to clarify, are you saying that those are the only ones the LGS has in stock, or are you saying that the CA approved list is as picky as specifying specific finishes (i.e. the black finish recommended to you isn't listed, therefore it's SS or nothing)?

I am no expert on CA laws and statutes WRT guns but I do know that one of the cardinal rules is the magazine capacity of 10 rounds when it comes to any new guns being legally offered for sale in CA by an FFL retailer. Now once in a while certain aspects of this law get challenged in the CASC which at times creates what some refer to as a "freedom week" when they order higher capacity magazines for their compatible arms which out of state and online sellers can legally deliver to those buyers. Something like that!

Now I am not aware of any 1911 which fails the 10 round mag capacity law so then the rest of it comes down to what I like to refer to as push-pull BS between the state legislature and the gun manufacturers. The legislature probably puts some nuanced and confusing law on the books WRT to certain aspects, say I dunno, trigger whatever BS and then the manufacture resists for their own political reasons to offer that feature for "CA". The CA DOJ asks for the model to be sent in for inspection and the manufacturer flips the bird. In this political push-pull way of playing the gun-laws game, we end up losing the pleasure of being able to buy certain models even if the mag capacity limit is well within the statute. Shrugs!

ETA: I have found certain models which exist on the roster but can not buy from the online seller because he "believes" that they are not on the roster! I provide evidence that, "hey look, it is fu*king there in black and white" and the answer I have gotten is, "can't do" because the model name does not say the magical CA after the numerical sequence. Then I call the CA-DOJ for which they can confirm, "yes, it is on the roster" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
yes Cbob only comes in Bead blasted/SS and the PM7 as well same finish.

I have always wanted a Cbob or PM7... I've also had my eye on the Ed Brown Kobra Karry for quite a while.

the color thing is subjective, to submit a gun to the roster it has to meet all the qualifications and the micro stamp qual has killed the market for new guns, it's not possible which limits the guns allowed for sale.

the colors are considered separate model numbers so therefore they require an additional "Application fee" (extortion fee) and most manufacturers or retailers only pick one popular color instead of multiple colors to save money.

Good luck sir, if you can find a second hand Vbob, that is one amazing gun it's easily one of my grail guns right next to a S&W E class.

Last edited:
Good luck sir, if you can find a second hand Vbob, that is one amazing gunm it's easily one of my grail guns right next to a S&W E class.

I have 2 1911's - a VBob and a S&W E series. Both fantastic pistols for their respective prices! I actually shoot the E a little better, maybe, but it doesn't carry quite as well. CC'ing a full size 1911, is no easy feat, so the VBob is the better choice in that regard.

... NVM, didn't like their (Springfield Armory) looks!

Last edited:
Back