Case Seahorse

As a matter of fact I did just that, for the rest of the folks, between the folded down belt loop and the body of the sheath, I glue in place a layer of leather, something for the belt to come in contact with when you go to draw the knife. I make it just high enough so that when I stitch down the side, I stitched into that layer two holes, the second hole I'll pull the thread back to the top of the sheath, then I'll rough up the leather on both the spacer and the belt loop and glue them into place, once dry/fixed I'll punch in the rest of the holes around the bottom of the sheath and push the one thread back through it's hole so it is again on the back of the sheath and continue to hand stitch around the sheath. When I get to the end, I back stitched two holes to lock the thread into place.

G2

Excellent job on the sheath Gary! Great form and function! And the color is great too. :thumbup:

Thanks, if I were better at video, I'd take a short one to show how it snaps into place, nice and solid. Some knives have that characteristic while others don't, the Buck 110 does it very well because of the profile of the knife closed.

I might have been able to come up just a hair higher, but you run the risk of having to force the knife into the sheath, which isn't a good thing.
G2

Well, I did it. I just couldn't take the "Moss Brown" coloring any longer. I love the knife so far (haven't whittled but it does everything else I need in an edc) and it is a great example of what Case can do with fit and finish. I love the worm groove jigging so the knife is great - except for the hideous murky swamp covering those gorgeous bone scales!

So, I followed this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/868446-Dyeing-Bone-A-Tutorial

I used the black Rit powder dye going for full black. It didn't come out full black, but maybe better? Very subtle swamp under the mostly black layer of death that has descended upon it.

Last picture before the transformation:

fGMmMF.jpg

It struck me that this is the best the knife has looked since I got it! When I'm about to bring it to a simmer! I wasn't fooled - it was a trick. (And, that WAS her good side.)

Now:

MpTl3r.jpg

The bolsters are the bonus - they have a copper look now.

CQX8Vc.jpg

UqbZ5F.jpg

Now she is easy to look at.

:)

Eric

So how does that big main blade feel in hand while using the smaller blades? Any hot spots?

Well, I did it. I just couldn't take the "Moss Brown" coloring any longer. I love the knife so far (haven't whittled but it does everything else I need in an edc) and it is a great example of what Case can do with fit and finish. I love the worm groove jigging so the knife is great - except for the hideous murky swamp covering those gorgeous bone scales!

I used the black Rit powder dye going for full black. It didn't come out full black, but maybe better? Very subtle swamp under the mostly black layer of death that has descended upon it.

fGMmMF.jpg

It struck me that this is the best the knife has looked since I got it! When I'm about to bring it to a simmer! I wasn't fooled - it was a trick. (And, that WAS her good side.)

Now:

MpTl3r.jpg

CQX8Vc.jpg

UqbZ5F.jpg

Eric

Eric,
Man you did a great job, it looks like it came from the factory that way :thumbup::thumbup:
I love the bolsters
Rick

Wow, just got home, can't reach the forums due to Web Marshall at work, so I can only view on my ipod touch :( but that looks really really nice!!!

G2

Indeed, that is a night and day change right there!

Reminds me of a line from the show Firefly

"if I could make you prettier I would..."

And with your knife, by golly you did :)

Folks have asked about whittling, one thing I noticed as I was practicing whittling, the main blade has it's nice thick spine, making it very handy for your thumb to press down on as you whittle, so that's a plus I would think.

G2

I tend to agree with you about cv Gary, I don't really go along with the chorus of it's fantastic. CASE stainless is very OK for pocket-knives aimed at pocket-knife chores, no batoning, cutting wire hawsers etc. :eek::D It will sharpen deadly sharp and stays keen for what I need, no corrosion, no imparting flavours on food, no constant attention..:thumbup:

I like the shield and bone on he one you've ordered. The master blade is thick and strong but it will slice for sure, it's naturally a Whittling pattern so it has this combo of blades and thicknesses to tackle carving. It's also a very beautiful pattern, a single spring two blade version would be a knife nirvana for me:cool:

Here's the one I got last year in Smooth Chestnut Bone. I bought 5-6 CASE knives new over the past year or so, all have been first-class in finish and detail, really good

Thanks, Will

IMG_0565.jpg

I'm not sure about the Nirvana part, but this is about as close to a 2 blade version of that knife that I've been able to find. Another fine blade if you can find one...the wharnies seem to be tough to locate these days.
mini copperhead.jpg

fGMmMF.jpg

Now:

MpTl3r.jpg

CQX8Vc.jpg

UqbZ5F.jpg

Eric
Very nice job indeed! Although, I will admit that I like the green as well

See post down below for new video I made.
G2

Last edited:
Thanks JD it was one I had to talk quietly plus used my ipod touch, I may delete that and try one using a 'real' camera thing and see if that comes out any better.

The knives snap into place depends a lot on the contours of the knife and also the leather and how tightly you form and how solid the leather is.

G2

I never could cotton to the seahorse I had, so I gave it to my little sister. She is not a knife person, but she keeps it in her car, it is her kit knife. I've been thinking about getting my sisters a multi tool, maybe a SAK, for their cars, but it would be better to get a small tool kit. I am just glad if they check their own oil, something myself or my little brother do for them most of the time (mostly my little brother).

She could care less about knives like I said, but she really likes that knife. It is a different type of knife, and she is proud to tell me when she uses it. We don't always get along, but we do love each other. I am proud to see that she uses it. She doesn't want me to sharpen it for her, I try to tell her a dull knife is more dangerous. I gave her boyfriend a sak, he keeps that in his Jeep.

I believe my little brothers words were when looking for some tools behind my seat and in my truck bed toolbox, I just kept finding knives! Needless to say it makes me proud that my sisters actually use their knives.

Yep, it's not for everyone that's for sure, a lot of people had never even heard of it until this thread I think.

Here's a little better video, better lighting and I wasn't whispering near as much but I'm definitely NOT a video photographer that's for sure! not everything would come into focus, didn't have time to try to do a lot of them but I hope this gives you guys and gals a good look at both the Case Seahorse and my Le Thiers Compact folders

[video=youtube_share;iB3COx-ogC8]http://youtu.be/iB3COx-ogC8[/video]

I'll take down the other one, ugh... ;)
G2

It's a vicious cycle there ;)

The new video was shot with my small Canon compact camera, so it is pretty high resolution, but of course the higher the resolution doesn't make the fuzzy bits any clearer :(

G2

Back