Cloak & Dagger Exotica

eek.gif
whoops...almost forgot the JSP Bandando - wonderful, wonderful item!
biggrin.gif

Dear Don,
in reference to your earlier post on weird laws in Canada and attempting to sue the government for violating a persons right to carry a pocket knife, a woman just tried to sue the police for not protecting her. It seems that she was stalked by her ex-husband who everyone knew was a potential danger. The
court gave out a restraining order, and of course the creep ignored it. He tracked down the ex-wife, broke into where she was staying
and shot dead her best friend, maimed her daughter and then killed himself after setting the building on fire. I am so disgusted in so many ways. I feel so sorry for the woman, but jeez, when will people learn that the police can only react to a situation? Not to slam cops in general, but I wish that they would admit that they're not going to be around when Joe Sixpack needs them.
In an attempt to get back on topic, I just received my Omega 3 from Sniperboy (thanks a lot by the way) and it is everything you have said it was! Definitely not the blade I
would pick, if I knew I was going to be in it for my life, but a damn sight better than
any other hideout blade I've seen in a long time. This one stays with me everytime I walk out the door!

Hey Don, What is the item on the far left of the 3rd picture (H.G. Long & Co. Daggers) in your photo-album?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bandit:
Hey Don, What is the item on the far left of the 3rd picture (H.G. Long & Co. Daggers) in your photo-album? </font>

Third picture counting from left to right across the top row of pics, that would be a coiled leather wrist strap for the sleeve daggers.

Is that what you are referring to?

I've tken a particular interest in covert weapons, would any of you guys know anything about a watch that contained a retractible garrte wire. I know it was used bythe oss, and i think it's in Keith Melton's book on oss weapons. It was also seen in one of the James bond movies. but this is all i know. also I know they were sold bby some sort of spy company earlier in the 90's, but they have been discontinued. thanks

I don't think Melton Published more than four books. I have four and the first one was the hardest one to get.

I know what you are talking about in the Bond Films, I have never seen them in Melton's Books though...

------------------
Usual Suspect
Ipsa scientia potestas est aut disce aut discede
Some of my Knives and other neat things

Mr. Fred Perrin is making some dynamite (but very pricey) Covert Weapons in the spirit of the SOE/OSS! Thanks for the heads up Jonas!

Here is a link and a couple pics from the site.
Click here.

WHOOO-YAAAAA!!!!

That's some serious sh*t there dude! I especially like the first pic; talk about nasty suprises!

My oldest is starting high school, and I hate the idea of him being "unarmed" so other than a BANDANDO, what else can he carry? A neck knife is an obvious solution, but what kind, etc.??

That first pic looks just about right.

Now I just need to take up a collection for his V-Gar system... :)

Mr. G,

You know what I would truly like to see? I guess I will have to buy a damned grinder and make them myself...

I would like to see a Steel Spike that looks like a pencil. Even if you have to paint the damned thing.

Yellow, red eraser, paint the wood area brown and the "lead" (point) black.

Talk about simultaneous evolution,
I've been thinking over the very same thing here lately. Would like to see the tool carried point down yet somehow make it safe enough to carry in the breast pocket of a dress shirt or clipped into the placket of a polo. It would be accesible from a high clinch position or if you were mounted on the ground. I thought about contacting one of the high end auto makers to see if they could build something into a quality ink pen, but the project would probably be to cost prohibative for mainline production. Any thoughts?

South,

Well, earlier in the Thread you might recall the discussion of The Guardfather which was a Spike in the form of a Pen. The Original Guardfather™ was quite a piece of work. The Originals were marked, "Made in Italy" on the pocket clip and on the other side of the clip, "Pat. Pend."

The Guardfather IV is currently made by SWAT in Arizona.

I was simply talking about a steel spike painted like a pencil in this current post.

Gotcha Don,
I guess I was looking at something a little more innocuos; something that did'nt look as "tactical" as the Guardfathers do. I'm also a little unsure as to the accidental opening issue with the Guardfather (whether that's real or perceived). I lighted up when I saw your post because there is no doubt in my mind that the efficacy of the concept of a "hide in plain sight stabbing tool" is valid, especially if carried high on the trunk of the body. No cover garment, immediately accessible, snatch and stab,(pakal grip, mind you)! I recall a correctional officer in our county jail a few years ago who was stabbed in the cheek with the officer's own Cross pen as he (the defendant) was signing a medical certification. I remember thinking at the time if that pen would have had a real point this guy would have been even more seriosly injured than he was. It was a nasty wound regardless, as the intent was definitely there
I guess I've been tossing around the idea on whether it should be fixed or retractable, so on so forth. How do you envision the pencil spike tool being carried consistently and safely? Should something cover the point? What if you fall? This is a project I'd like to see actualized.

Well, what I envision is something that really looks like a good ole Number Two Pencil. Meaning, red eraser and silver band, painted if necessary...and then a yellow body...

Now a word about "covert."

Sometimes, you look for your car keys, and you know that you have been to three usual places, you check them what seems to be countless times, and then start in the not so usual places, then you find them in one of the three usual places...I have seen this time and time again with people.

This is pretty much a Psychological Thing...

I believe in "Covert," meaning, "Concealment & Cover." But I also believe the way my friends in the Bujinkan do...and that is, sometimes the Overt becomes the Covert.

Sometimes, putting something right in front of someone's face and daring them to see it, works quite well.

James Keating has spoken of Symbols, and how Symbols control us on a subconscious level, and that is what I am speaking of.

If you are a Law Enforcement Officer, which you are, if you see a #2 Pencil in someone's pocket, you immediately register, "That could be in my eye or neck, really quick." The pencil is the preferred instrument in some Correctional Facilities, it is something dirtbags are very familiar with...so, that is a threat.

But if you are a criminal, and you see someone with a yellow pencil, or if you are a regular guy who just sees one, well, you could think back to High School. It is a tricky thing...a Psychological Ploy that goes to the heart of the way we look at Symbols.

Pretty deep.

A <font color=yellow>YELLOW</font> #2 Pencil is going to attract attention because of the color and in most cases, be immediately, mentally discarded as innocent.

How do you carry it safely? I've been putting some thought into this as well.

I think what I have come up with is about the best solution, and that is a small, Kydex or Concealex Sleeve that only covers about 2 inches of the end of the "Pencil."

Attached to the end of the Sheath is a simple, but sturdy, safety pin. You pin it in the bottom of the pocket. It might rip the shirt pocket deploying it, but if you ever have to deploy it, the least of your worries will be a torn shirt.

The Kydex would not be like that for a knife, where you need this incredible, friction fit. Just enough to hold it in place so if you fall, as you suggested, you do not impale yourself...

Steel might become a weight issue, making the pocket sag a bit, so Titanium is about 40% lighter than steel and since we are not talking about an edge, but a point, I think Titanium would actually be better than steel, no problem with sweating or anything like that.

Instead of painting the eraser on [red], with a silver band, like a regular pencil, it would seem that a slip on eraser head, again, like we had in school, would do the trick. It would add a little bit of cushioning to on hard palm thrusts, or in reverse grip, something to thumbcap...

James can do a gold anodizing, and I wonder if he could get one yellow...I'll have to ask him. Because that would be the way to go.

Hmmm... I like it.
I agree with you about the power of symbols and association. I would like it to be versatile enough to be clipped into the placket of a polo shirt, though. I guess that's why I gravitated towards the pen as opposed to the pencil. I think you're dead on about the pencil being dismissed by even the predator. I was originally thinking along the lines of two pieces of Ti anodized in dress pen like colors (black, Forrest green, etc). The "cap" or shorter piece would actually be the handle of the spike. The "barrel" of the pen would have a clip mounted low on it's body that ran up the length of the barrel, past the edge where it actually ended and then bent back down thus creating the "clip". When the spike rests in the barrel the illusion is created of the "cap" having the clip attached. The clip could even stabilize the cap a bit. If the clip were anodized gold or silver and perhaps even filigreed it would look like a high end (Mont Blanc) dress pen. This would probably be pretty expensive though if there was that much hand detailing involved. I think you're idea is certainly more cost efficient and just as effective. Talk James into making the pencils and I'll buy one. Great thread progression!!!:)

South,

I'm going to have a talk with James about it. Soon...

Eda,

No, that was my own stupidity. When I saw one amount and then saw the word, "Euro," I assumed (and you know where that word leads us...) that the amount other than the "Euro" would be our price.

Apparently, they are a steal. The problem then becomes, as I stated in the Emerson Forum about these tools...

Will Customs allow them in?

What's the conversion going from Euros to the good old American dollar?? I really like these- they're clean, almost surgical looking, very sleek!

1 USD = 1.8 EUR (or 1 EUR = .85 USD)

1 USD = 7.76 FRF (or 1 FRF = .13 USD)

Subject to change at any given moment

John

First off this is my first post in the JSP forum, so be gentle with me! ;)

I love the idea of a Ti pencil. I personally think the pen idea isn't as good in many ways, primarily because of those crappy $2 "knife pens" you can get everywhere drawing unwanted attention to the pen as a weapons.

But the pencil.... that's great, after all what can be hidden in a pencil? ;)

Now I've had an idea about "Don's stealthy stabbing pencil", it's probably impossible to manufacture my idea, but I think it's a cool thought anyways. Put simply it's this - take a regular pencil, and replace the exisiting lead with a thicker Ti or SS "lead" with a lovely sharp point on the end. Now to be even more discrete I'd imagine you could get a nice soft pencil and rub it over the tip of the Ti/SS so it'd be the correct colour and it could possbily even write a tiny bit then I'd imagine (although I expect it'd rip up the paper depending on the sharpness of the point). ;)

Anyways it's just a thought...

Back