• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Cold Steel Strider rip-0ff

Can one of the Strider fanboys or anyone else please answer this very simple question then with a straight answer and not the usual run around.

I'd like to know the exact dates of Mick Strider's US Army service, and when he was discharged.

Its a new page so i thought I would throw this out again and see if I can get an answer this time.

Most wish you were also.:jerkit:

I just was brief with you Mr. Abbreviation. Unfortunately for your attention span, Mogadishu Mick has shovelled cubic yards of bullshit out to the public. Cleaning it up is a herculean task.

I would like to know also.

I'm with Boats, Oilman, DocArnie, Micky, and Spark. I just want to know what the truth of the matter is. None of the diversionary tactics employed in this thread, by knifemakers and others, are working. What's the truth?

Regards,
3G

jeyr said:
Indeed I was wise enough to NOT speak for others, nor attempt to stir up a situation for no other reason than to bring some meager limelight to myself.

Obviously you're not that wise at all, Jeyr, because now you're speaking for me. Suddenly, it seems, only after Ernest Emerson has made his own views known, you've become a psychic who claims to know what I think.

That's not the reason I raised the issue at all. I truly believe it's a design issue. I think it's a very insightful reflection into your character that you see other people's motivations in the worst possible light. In psychology, that's known as "projection". You're attributing your own petty motivations on to me.

The irony is your original assertion is also wrong. I never claimed to speak for Ernest Emerson. I pointed that out several pages back.

Vaako said:
When you're done all of that, please show where I claimed that Ernest Emerson did have an "issue" with being stolen from. I never said he did or didn't. I said other companies were stealing his design. I never discussed how Mr. Emerson felt about being stolen from because I know better than to make the mistake you did.

As it turns out, Mr. Emerson feels other companies aren't. My views on the knives in question were and remain entirely my own. Again, in your frenetic zeal to pin some kind of "blame", you've made yet another factual error.

And then Ernie was polite enough to put that particular arguement to rest for EVERYONE save perhaps for you. Now if you are inferring that Mr. Emerson is speaking falsely, or is in some other way being false, well then you are simply MISTAKEN, once again. Ernie is a STAND up guy, he will tell you what he thinks, all you have to do is ask.

Yes he is, he's told everyone he's friends with Strider Knives. Since he's a stand up guy, he stands up for his friends.

As for the strength of my convictions, well I have been following this thread since its inception, and I found myself in a quandry, should I make my thoughts known and further cloud or muddy the thread up. Further prolonging the inevitable revelation that your arguement was TOTAL bunk?

If you've been following the thread as closely as you claim, you seem to have joined many in avoiding one of my central points. No one has shown a knife of that profile made before Emerson. Mr. Emerson claims Strider didn't get the design from him. Fine. Who did they get the design from? Who made a knife like that before Ernest Emerson?

Not to mention, dragging the thread away from the original intent which was to bring to light, once again the deplorable marketing of Lynn Thompson

...which I myself pointed out repeatedly, along with his copying. :rolleyes:

and then politely point out that speaking for another person (Ernest Emerson and Emerson Knives) or even implying that they had been ripped off was in incredibly poor taste and showed a remarkably out of control ego?

...considering I never spoke for Ernest Emerson and my views were always my own, both points of yours fail. When is pointing out a maker getting ripped off "incredibly poor taste"? Everyone, including myself, has pointed out that Strider is getting "ripped off". Is pointing that out "poor taste"? Of course not. More projection on your part.

and yet your reply serves to once again begrudgingly get you a bit more of that amazing limelight..... I am more than happy to help you with your limelight needs.

On the contrary, I see no reason to humor you. You've had no involvement in this discussion except for taking the opportunity, now, to lecture me with your attempts at sagacity. Like I said, a carrion eater feasting on a dead issue.

If there's any "ego gratification" involved, it seems to be on your part, Jeyr.

You've adopted a self-appointed position of lecturer full of advice and whatever nuggets of wisdom you feel I should learn. No one else has, even those I heatedly and repeatedly disagreed with haven't done so. Only you.

You've even gone so far as to appoint yourself forum spokesman, truly speaking for others with such inane pronouncements as "You are forgiven, for your little rant about Emerson being ripped off... Now off with you to do something productive for a change."

Who are you to speak for others on the thread, administering collective forgivness? Or when it is given, or which people will give it?

...and here you are, still dispensing such good advice about "not speaking for others", about the dangers of "an out of control ego?"

Jeyr, you really should take some of your own advice before dispensing any to me.

And finally, after having pointed out how this thread manages to get off topic so frequently, I am more than willing to contribute to another thread preferably in the whine and cheese area so that Vaako and I can discuss our differences. I would really like to see this one get back to its intended purpose, which was to SHOWCASE, Mr. Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel fame, and his DEPLORABLE marketing and outright theft of design.

Oh get off of it, Jeyr. :rolleyes:

That's the oldest forum ploy in the book. You're not fooling anyone. If you really felt that way, you would have never started lecturing in the first place. You would have privately PM'd me with your great advice.

But you didn't. A private discussion wouldn't stroke your own ego, the way a public one does.

Nevermind Whine and Cheese, if you TRULY are dedicated to returning this thread to its original topic why not reply via PM?

--------------------------

Anyone want to lay bets Jeyr's sanctimonious dedication to returning the thread "on topic" is a sham?

Maybe he's going to "prove me wrong" by returning to the same mute interest he had before Ernest Emerson weighed in.

You think? ;)

I'm with Boats, Oilman, DocArnie, and Spark. I just want to know what the truth of the matter is. None of the diversionary tactics employed in this thread, by knifemakers and others, are working. What's the truth?

Regards,
3G
I would like to know also.

I fully understand why Ernest Emerson said what he did, Michelle alluded to as much several pages back, and out of my own personal respect for the man I'll abide by it.

First of all, I never "alluded to" anything regarding this issue. I stated the fact that a lot of knife makers, especially those who are friends, are in close communication with each other and make sure they are not stepping on each other toes, even if one's design has A similarity in some respect to anothers.

But rather than type those three simple words.... the words "I was wrong"... instead you have to insult Your Hero Mr. Emerson, by ALLUDING to the fact that he is being disingenuous, covering something up, or lying. If you want to hang your patard out there like that, be my guest. I don't think you have garnered any respect in this thread so you have nothing to lose. However, don't you try to attach MY NAME to YOUR delusions.

There are several here that I have disagreed with, on point, fact and theory, but you stopped being worth disagreeing with a long time ago. You refused to listen to logic then, and you continue to refuse to listen to the truth, even from Mr. Emerson's own mouth.

Dude, you've got more issues than Time Magazine.

m1

Vaako, please give this issue a rest. At this point no one is going to be convinced. I appreciate your points, and some of them have merit. If you would like to have a discussion on knife designs being stolen, copied, or borrowed from each other, please use the Blade Discussion Forum for it from this point on.

Michelle,
Since you are here now can you please answer ny question.
I'd like to know the exact dates of Mick Strider's US Army service, and when he was discharged.
If you don't know the exact dates maby at least the year he joined and the year he was discharged.
thanks

Michelle,
Since you are here now can you please answer ny question.
If you don't know the exact dates maby at least the year he joined and the year he was discharged.
thanks

Why? What business is it of yours?

Why? What business is it of yours?

That's what it comes down to, isn't it. What business is it of ours whether there's any truth to his advertising or not? Why should we care whether we're doing business with a hero or a liar?

I don't have any qualms with Mick nor his knives and I really don't care that he is an ex-con. He paid his dues and that is that. If his knives were more reasonably priced I would very likely own one. However, I do have a problem with Mick's recent claim that the US government offered to send him to Somalia in lieu of jail time with his pay forfeit. I would like to know why the US government would make such an offer to Mick. What special training and/or skills did Mick possess in 1993 that were indispensible and in short supply that would warrant such an offer. He has admitted that he has no combat experience and his time in the service was short and rather uneventful. What was it about Mick that caught the Fed's eye and led to this extraordinary offer? Personally, I don't buy it.

i'm sick of posting the same question every time and then either being attacked, getting hate emails or the runaround .. how difficult is it to just give a straight answer to a straight question

Oh goodness.... relax man! ;) Problem is, there are too many threads in this forum addressing the same thing........ but nothing is being cross referenced...

ugug..... contact this guy below, or head over to Badlands like Spark and others have.......... (but the long and the short of things are that you can be a combat vet withoug being in the direct employ of a US Military group).

Instead of posting more allegations or speculation of opinion on the forums, I made some phone calls, First to my US Senator's office, were I was able to obtain the phone # to the Pentegon ,Public relations and Human resources offices in Washington DC, under the Fair employment act most of the necessary info is public, they verified that Mick was in the Army, what years and that he was honorably discharged, thats all they can legally give. Next I called the special warefare center at Ft Bragg, in the past they have helped me contact old classmates of mine, I was referred by them to the Rangers.org web site (large alumni base info and records) that linked me to the U.S. Army Infantry website, that gave me the contact I needed at Ft Benning Georgia, to a Public Affairs officer and a operations officer incharge of the ACAP ( alumni and career placement), because of Mick's involment with the Ranger challenge and sponsorship they could tell me from a previous press release( a Bio) that they did on him ,the following info, His MOS was infantry, he graduated airborne training, graduated Ranger school, served in a Ranger Battalion and was honorable discharged. If you search there Army news paper archieve you will find the same info, also there is a photo of him and his graduating class and photo's of the Ranger challenge events.
I will report this fairly and unbiased though, no mention of combat service, I cannot confirm or verify the validity of that information.
I will stick to my original opinion, I like the guy, I have had good dealings with him, his products and the company, much better service and delivery times than half of the knifemakers I have been waiting three plus years to make and deliver a knife. He his doing a bang up job supporting our troops, law enforcement and the overall American way of life. I really dont care about what a man did 20 years ago, its what he is doing right now to make a differnce

Boats - you're an attorney. Color me surprised. :p I am glad you take great glee in "verbally tearing people apart" on a daily basis. You must be a very happy person. I would assume, however, that you do your due diligence before you enter a court of law. Or do you rely merely on the information given to you by your client, and then run with it? Or do you rely merely on the information your client DOESN'T give you and then run with it? Or do you rely merely on the information the Defendant doesn't voluntarily relinquish and then run with it?

Do you rely on hearsay?

Do you rely on documentation that is unsubstanciated or uncertified?

Do you "verbally tear apart people on a daily basis" based on what "your client heard on the internet"? Do you tell the judge "Your honor... I believe the Petitioner because the defendant's story, to me, sounds like bullshit"?

Do you go in Ex Parte to declare bullshit based soley your "sixth sense, perceptions, and perceived incredibly high IQ"?

Prolly not.

Spark. What's your bias? Just curious. I'm curious why you, as the owner of this place, have such a bias against Strider knives?

In a perfect world we would get a response here from not only Mick, but maybe Chris Osman too. Of course it would be nice to hear from Lynn Thompson.. but he never posts under his own name. Kevin McClung? Ditto... only posts under his name in his "very" controlled environment of TF, where people who disagree with him are not allowed.

NOTHING will be accomlished here short of some of the principle players coming i n here and addressing this. And even then, like Vakko, people will accuse them of being disingenuine or liars if the post doesn't fit their preconceived desire of what it should say.

So, at the end of the day gentlemen... what's the point? There are about 4 people out there still jumping up and down. What do you need? People want Micks dates of service. His DD214 was posted. Does that not suffice? How many people need to be spoonfed the information? How come more people like SkinnyDale aren't out there getting it?

And DocArnie (DentistAlmostArnie)...... hilarious post man. EVERYONE knows the history of that article and that there were recants done by both the writer and the editor for errors. Maybe that information hasnt made it out there yet.... way accross the pond.

m1

(but the long and the short of things are that you can be a combat vet withoug being in the direct employ of a US Military group).

See thats just it. NO YOU CAN'T. At least not after being a convicted felon. These people do not hire convicted felons as they can't leagily own or posess weapons. Supposidly Mick was also discharged on a medical. if this is so no contract company is going to touch him for field work.
If he was doing contract work before he was stealing cars, I guess he must have pissed all his money away that they get paid in the private sector.

So see how a simple answer of when he was in the Army can clear up so many unanswered questions and help to put this to rest.

Gentlemen :) ,

This Strider defense reminds me an awful lot of the Johnnie Cochran/O.J. Simpson defense.

Steve

I'm throwing a BS flag on this.

If Mick is saying what he did, then it better be backed up.

Hiding behind a cloak of secrecy, guv deals, ninja blah blah, doesn't cut it.

By the way, I flew on two space shuttle missions in the early 90's. But I can't talk about it but it had to do with DOD satellites..........

And DocArnie (DentistAlmostArnie)......
I never said I was a dentist. I'm a dentistry student. My nickname has nothing to do with it. Noone has to explain his nickname, but here we are: I had this online-nickname since I was still in (high)school. It's inspired by western movies and by my first name.
The most important thing is, that I never pretended to be something I am not, and I'm not even selling stuff like a certain person who wanted to boost his business by exaggerating his story.

Maybe that information hasnt made it out there yet.... way accross the pond.
Obviously it has nothing to do with the big pond. Most people never heard of these "errors" being corrected, as it seems.

I have a couple of things I would like clarified, as a Strider knife owner. This thread has been a clusterf#%$ from the beginning and it seems as if the same points and counter points have been reiterated over and over. So for the sake of those who have lost track, let me state a few things and let's see if we can get back to the point(s) of interest.

1. Evidently Mick Strider and the guy from TAG (Chris Osman) were associates that had a falling out and some things were said publicly (by Strider) that were detrimental to Chris Osman's business. A lawsuit ensued where Strider admitted that he was wrong (about the career of the aforementioned Chris Osman), and further legally proclaimed that he (Strider) was not, nor had never been, a part of spec-ops. (Am I right thus far?)

2. Then a few people felt it necessary to hire a P.I. to investigate Strider and post personal and private info on the WORLD WIDE WEB (this info included names and contact info for his children and other family members). This resulted in the exposure of Strider as an ex-felon who refused to "rat" on his friends and served time in the federal pen.

The timeline gets foggy here, because evidently there was a magazine article (American Handgunner) published that has Strider overseas in combat during the time he was actually in prison learning to make knives. ( I hope I am still on track)

3. This leads to a big controversy over whether Strider was a Ranger or not. Strider posts his discharge summary which suggests (along with Striders' Ranger friends) that he is a Ranger, but was injured before deployment.

This seems to conflict with some of Striders posts on various boards about being a "combat vet" and "charging a gunman with a knife". ( Still with me?)

4. The latest controversy seems to be that Strider says that he was supposed to be sent to combat in Somalia in leu of a prison sentence, only to have the D.A. change his mind and opt for the hard time. ( I hope this is a good "general summary")

Now, as a Strider knife owner, I would like to give my personal feelings/observations (if I may).

1. I am definitely NOT high speed/low drag. I have never had the HONOR of serving my country (I regret the decision every day). I hate the Tiger stripes on my SMF, and will have them polished off as soon as possible. HOWEVER, I do not own a more bomb proof folder. period. (until Busse steps up :) )

2. I am a member of the another forum and can say that I have never been a part of a board that has as much a sense of family and brotherhood as that one does. There are great people there such as Mr. Hossom, Michelle, Jeyr, Strider, Emerson, and countless others. I do not believe for one second that those caliber of people would ALL be taken in by a snake-oil salesman. That does not make me a STRIDER fanboy. Actually Busses and Sebenzas are my absolute favorite knives.

3. Yes, there are certain issues about this whole mess that I would like to see put to rest, i.e Strider's combat experience. But until Mr. Strider adresses that issue, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

After all, I prefer to see someone as innocent until proven guilty. Until someone can PROVE that Strider didn't "charge a gunman with a knife", or have a chance to go to Somalia as part of a plea bargain, I will take the man at his word.

I bleed TG.

Back