Compact tacticaL hawk...

Thank you, I will definitely get one with a spike !
A whole new meaning to a piercing headache !

I like hawks and hatchets with a more rounded handle than some of the simple flat sandwich styles out there

I thought you all might like to read this US Army Airborne Ranger Creed order, lol, seriously, it's worth the time to look, and it’s about your hatchet.

Here’s the link to the Ranger Handbook
http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ranger.pdf

Then save the file to your computer if you want a copy
Scroll down (3 pages ((P i)), it's right near the first page)to where it reads "STANDING ORDERS, ROGERS' RANGERS" and read order #19

Lol, but seriously my friends, that’s what they teach!

Have you guys seen the Condor Tomahawk? It is about 13 1/2" long but it is built from one solid piece of metal. It is 3/8 thickness I believe. It is built like a tank. Total cost.........wait for it....................................wait for it .......................$40. They are made in El Salvador. They also have a throwing version.

large-condorwarax1.jpg

This is the throwing version.

The material is 1/4" thick 1075 carbon steel, heat treated and tempered to about 53 Rockwell (a measure of hardness). This finish meets and exceeds several military specifications from the U.S. and other countries around the world. When maintained with light oil, this finish should not rust or stain.

I saw one in person and was impressed. I immediately ordered the two you see above. I can't wait to throw one at my neighbor ;-)
4010BTthrowingaxe.jpg

I almost forgot to mention they seem to be popular. I have come across several dealers who have run out of them. Reviews have been very favorable :)

p1010224.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about one of these Ontario Ranger RD Hawks without the spike for an under the arm holster from redhill. Just kickin’ the idea around.
OntarioRangerRDKawk2.jpg

I’ve been thinking about one of these Ontario Ranger RD Hawks without the spike for an under the arm holster from redhill. Just kickin’ the idea around.
OntarioRangerRDKawk2.jpg

I have that one, it's tough as shit! I sanded the micarta a bit, for better fit and feel. Otherwise, I practice and throw it, alot, and very hard into dead trees. It really laughs at everything I've thrown at it. My only criticisms would be that it is just a hunk of steel. Whatever the weight is, it's mass distribution is not great. It does work.
I have a Winkler RnD on order, because I want something that is more balanced, and allows for the different grip positions. Yet, I won't be throwing the Winkler!

I have that one, it's tough as shit! I sanded the micarta a bit, for better fit and feel. Otherwise, I practice and throw it, alot, and very hard into dead trees. It really laughs at everything I've thrown at it. My only criticisms would be that it is just a hunk of steel. Whatever the weight is, it's mass distribution is not great. It does work.
I have a Winkler RnD on order, because I want something that is more balanced, and allows for the different grip positions. Yet, I won't be throwing the Winkler!
Sounds like fun. Winklers are up there for sure, congrats though did you get the kind with a spike on the blade?

Yes, I got this one coming... Borrowing Ed's pic...I should have it within the next few weeks, I hope, no rush Mr. Winkler!
I got the KG finish in black, with black micarta. The wood looks the best, but I like the toughness of micarta.

micartawinkler-1.jpg

The Condors are hard to get right now. You have to check different dealers to find what you are looking for. Most of the wholesalers are out of stock also.

Yes, I got this one coming... Borrowing Ed's pic...I should have it within the next few weeks, I hope, no rush Mr. Winkler!
I got the KG finish in black, with black micarta. The wood looks the best, but I like the toughness of micarta.

micartawinkler-1.jpg

Nice! I want one too, but it’s going to have to be a special gift to myself in the distant future... Maybe graduation, we'll see.

greaymatter.jpg

This is the Gray Matter tomahawk made by Dan Stanchfield (Tracker Dan). I got it from Dan a few months ago. It has a much slimmer profile that that of the Winkler hawk and the head geometry has its differences.

I have been carrying it with my dedicated aerial platform operations vest.

Et,

If you don't mind sharing:
What would be the immediate difference you feel with both Graymatter and Sayoc?

Is there a preference of yours on when to use? EDH?

Et,

If you don't mind sharing:
What would be the immediate difference you feel with both Graymatter and Sayoc?

Is there a preference of yours on when to use? EDH?

When i tight spaces like a small helicopter, i have to cut down on the bulk of what i carry. The graymatter is slimmer against my body, since i attach to my vest under my left arm, space is a factor.

IMG_5099.jpg

The Winkler Combat axe is also a grate hawk. One of the best out there in my opinion.

How do the weight and balance of the Graymatter compare to the Winkler Sayoc R&D and Combat Hawk?

The Graymatter hawk was designed from NSW feedback on the very first Sayoc spiked hawk that Tom Kier designed.

It is made of ATS-34, weighs about a pound depending on handle. Handle is 12" long and the hawk is 14" overall length. The cutting face is 3.25" and from front spike to rear spike is 6.25.

The overall length of the Sayoc Winkler is just over 13″ with a weight of 1 lb 6 oz.

Y like the handle design of the Winkler better, but the Graymatter is a lot faster in the hand.

Here are a few comparison pictures of the Sayoc Winkler hawk with rubber handles and the Graymatter Tomahawk with G10.

DSCN1627.jpg

DSCN1630.jpg

DSCN1629.jpg

Back