Compact tacticaL hawk...

Which Winkler? The Combat Axe?
So you're talking about a fighter/breacher, for under $300? Save some more cash and get an RMJ, they are meant for combat and breaching. Maybe find one used?

Have you looked at the Ontario RD Hawk? Or the Self Reliance Tools? I own the RD Hawk, and it can take a beating, I've tried to break it, I'm not strong enough. It can fight and breach, and it's only a little over $100. Spending more money can get you a much better hawk, better edge geometry, weight/balance, and a far better sheath. It's not bad for the price, but it's a slab of steel, in the shape of a hawk, IMO.
The Jenny Wren has a great feel, good balance, an excellent sheath, and just feels like it's made for fighting. That little sucker is the sharpest hawk I've ever seen, it will shave hair or slice through meat with ease.
the Winkler Sayoc is on another level, nothing compares to Dan's tapered tangs. The mass of the head and upper handle is where the concentration of weight/mass is. The craftsmanship and design allows the hawk to become an extension of you. It's weight is the perfect balance, enough for power, but not out of control during a swing.

If you choose to spend less now, will you still want a Winkler or RMJ down the road? Should you just get what you want first, and actuall save money in the long run? I ask this from experience, I wish I had not spent the money on several of my hawks. I don't use them or need them anymore, maybe I should sell a few?

Which Winkler? The Combat Axe?
So you're talking about a fighter/breacher, for under $300? Save some more cash and get an RMJ, they are meant for combat and breaching. Maybe find one used?

Have you looked at the Ontario RD Hawk? Or the Self Reliance Tools? I own the RD Hawk, and it can take a beating, I've tried to break it, I'm not strong enough. It can fight and breach, and it's only a little over $100. Spending more money can get you a much better hawk, better edge geometry, weight/balance, and a far better sheath. It's not bad for the price, but it's a slab of steel, in the shape of a hawk, IMO.
The Jenny Wren has a great feel, good balance, an excellent sheath, and just feels like it's made for fighting. That little sucker is the sharpest hawk I've ever seen, it will shave hair or slice through meat with ease.
the Winkler Sayoc is on another level, nothing compares to Dan's tapered tangs. The mass of the head and upper handle is where the concentration of weight/mass is. The craftsmanship and design allows the hawk to become an extension of you. It's weight is the perfect balance, enough for power, but not out of control during a swing.

If you choose to spend less now, will you still want a Winkler or RMJ down the road? Should you just get what you want first, and actuall save money in the long run? I ask this from experience, I wish I had not spent the money on several of my hawks. I don't use them or need them anymore, maybe I should sell a few?

I understand your point, in fact, that's how I try to convince people to spend the extra money on high quality knives. I just don't know if I'd even be able to push up to $800+ on a knife I'd use every day, much less a tomahawk which I'd probably use less often. Only reason I have two knives near the $500 mark is from trades.

My O1 Cassam hawk is a beast and held up well. I designed it and commissioned John to build it (has heavy influences especially in the handle from winkler"s work) and I can tell you it is a force. I did a meat test with it and it cut a frozen chicken in half with 2 swings. It is a bit on the heavy side at around 32 oz, but the tang is drilled and it is nice and head heavy. If you're looking to shed weight, opt for 3/16 an go for thinner micarta scales. Also, if you're looking for a fighter AND a breacher, ask John to leave the spike thick. I've got mine tapered all the way down which wouldn't hold up as well for demolition. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Btw, I'll also echo the advice and advise you to save for what you really want. One and done is the best way to go

My O1 Cassam hawk is a beast and held up well. I designed it and commissioned John to build it (has heavy influences especially in the handle from winkler"s work) and I can tell you it is a force. I did a meat test with it and it cut a frozen chicken in half with 2 swings. It is a bit on the heavy side at around 32 oz, but the tang is drilled and it is nice and head heavy. If you're looking to shed weight, opt for 3/16 an go for thinner micarta scales. Also, if you're looking for a fighter AND a breacher, ask John to leave the spike thick. I've got mine tapered all the way down which wouldn't hold up as well for demolition. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Btw, I'll also echo the advice and advise you to save for what you really want. One and done is the best way to go

How is the handling on it? Also, I'm almost considering just going with the LaGana, it seems to be able to do what I need it to. Ideally I'd trade my Mission MPK for one of the high end tomahawks/heavy chopping knives, but rarely do either pop up on trade forums.

handles great! like i said, definitely a bit on the heavy side as far as some hawks go, but it serves me as a good woods tool as well. For reference, I believe the following weights are more or less accurate:

Winkler sayoc: 22oz
rmj hawks: 24-27 oz
cassam hawk: 32 oz

i like it, but if you're looking for a lightweight fast fighting hawk it may not be for you. in that instance i would say the lagana would suuit you well

How about an HH LFT01?

TOOL_0000_LFT01.png

Last edited:
Does anyone have suggestions about where to get information about whether there might be import limitations on tomahawks like the HH LFT01 that Plasmio shows. It is a sweet looking hawk and their website has a few other nice ones.

Does anyone have suggestions about where to get information about whether there might be import limitations on tomahawks like the HH LFT01 that Plasmio shows. It is a sweet looking hawk and their website has a few other nice ones.

I found them when I googled. Just google the name and it should come up with USA sellers.

I have always liked the Max the mini ax design.
I have one of the early ones made by ATC.
01 steel, not the best fit and finish, but it is the real deal in an easily hidden hawk.Hawk Collection Grows, 11-11-09 015.jpgHawk Collection Grows, 11-11-09 018.jpg

Looks sweet! If you ever want to trade/sell it, send me a VM. ;)

They have two different Swamp Rat hawks up at their company store website for order. Use Google to find the website. There will be a wait before the charge and shipping because they haven't been made yet. That's just how they do their business IME.

I'm not promoting them, but I would like to see what the folks on this forum think of the design & price.

Last edited:
I'ma big fan of the Guild Knives and Tools CQB Hawk. I posted pictures somewhere on here a while back. I've yet to really test it, but measuring around 12 inches, it's nice and compact and still has a decent weight which could produce adequate damage. The maker is on here as Broe, and he is completely helpful in every step of ordering!

Back