CRKT/Knifecenter Hootenanny: Not actually S30V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't want one. CRKT thought this was S30v and probably HTed as such. Unless HT for S30v and 1070 are the same, and something tells me that's not the case, who knows how this would perform.

Crkt doesn't heat treat anything. They don't make anything. They're major problem is that they contract stuff out to the lowest bidder in order to maximize profit. This is the result.

Its scray to think how often does this happen. Its very nice Crkt is making it right but if i bought a knife frim them i would always be skeptical. Also how many other companies like crkt have been dooped too.

Good read. Glad this issue is getting sorted.

I wonder what Onion is gonna say when he hears.

I am glad that this issue got worked out and that CRKT is taking full ownership of the problem. However, where is the QC from CRKT? They don't periodically take random samples of their product and test their functionality and makeup of the components? Not even one of them? On a knife I would think the blade steel would be of utmost importance. Obviously some great work comes out of China, however there is just as much fraud along with suspect manufacturing practices that QC becomes extremely important. This worries me... I don't know how many more CRKT knives I will be buying in the future.

Thanks to Knife Center and CRKT for getting this sorted out so quickly! I really appreciate the way both parties have confronted this problem and dealt with it honestly.

In terms of manufacturer bashing, until we know the entire story it's best to not assign heinous motive to what may be a simple screw up. The one claim that can be made is that this happened as a result of lacking QC and QA, an admission that CRKT has already made and pledged to address.

It's a nice looking knife and it's clear that things are being made right. That's all that matters at this point.

This highlights why it it good to buy knives from established knife retailers. Imagine calling up Amazon and trying to explain that S30V should not stain (Amazon has good customer service, but I doubt they know much about blade steels).

I hate to say this, but this confirms what many have said about Chinese products.

This highlights why it it good to buy knives from established knife retailers. Imagine calling up Amazon and trying to explain that S30V should not stain (Amazon has good customer service, but I doubt they know much about blade steels).

I hate to say this, but this confirms what many have said about Chinese products.

I wouldn't lump them all together. The past couple years have seen a ton of small Chinese companies stepping up and doing some amazing work with verified-source top-end materials.

Is there a hell of a lot of counterfeit product made in China? Absolutely, yes, but while it does make working with Chinese contract manufacturers more of a challenge, I don't see why even a widespread problem should be used to condemn all Chinese products. Reate or WE or Kizer are in no way the same as Chinese Government Industrial Facility #231.

On the other hand, gosh, this is definitely a popcorn-worthy saga.

Also why my next blade will come from KnifeCenter!! It is good to know they go your back!!

Wow, what an interesting resolution, I hope CRKT drops that OEM, subbing a carbon steel for S30v is pretty inexcusable. I'm kinda shocked that the OEM had the stones to sub it, using a steel that different from S30v would have been discovered quickly every time.

Not to harp on CRKT too bad, but I hope they really do follow through on their QC promise, between this, the "titanium squid" Blade HQ second run that turned out to be stainless steel, and the not well disclosed peel ply carbon fiber issue on the actual Ti squids, their transparency about materials on their knives could be seen as iffy.

I have two orders currently being processed by Knife Center, and this thread makes me feel good about my decision to purchase through them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It doesn't confirm anything about China. It's anecdotal at best. I guarantee you there is some skeezy American manufacturer somewhere that would pull the same stunt.

Do we think Chinese tanks are made from cardboard?

Any country can make quality and any country can make trash.

This whole ordeal is pretty wild tho :eek:

i never buy CRKT because of quality issues.
even after they stated they care about quality. never again crkt.

i bet this is 8cr13mov steel.

Last edited:
Wow, what an interesting resolution, I hope CRKT drops that OEM, subbing a carbon steel for S30v is pretty inexcusable. I'm kinda shocked that the OEM had the stones to sub it, using a steel that different from S30v would have been discovered quickly every time.

Not to harp on CRKT too bad, but I hope they really do follow through on their QC promise, between this, the "titanium squid" Blade HQ second run that turned out to be stainless steel, and the not well disclosed peel ply carbon fiber issue on the actual Ti squids, their transparency about materials on their knives could be seen as iffy.

Its because like Craytab has said CRKT doesn't make any knives. They don't even design knives. They market them. For example: Onion designs, cheapest shop they can find in China (the inherent problem) makes the knives, CRKT markets and sells. Outsourcing everything is what opens the door up to things like this. Especially when you're going cheap to cut costs (read: sketchy manufacturers).

I wouldn't lump them all together. The past couple years have seen a ton of small Chinese companies stepping up and doing some amazing work with verified-source top-end materials.

Is there a hell of a lot of counterfeit product made in China? Absolutely, yes, but while it does make working with Chinese contract manufacturers more of a challenge, I don't see why even a widespread problem should be used to condemn all Chinese products. Reate or WE or Kizer are in no way the same as Chinese Government Industrial Facility #231.

On the other hand, gosh, this is definitely a popcorn-worthy saga.

I would agree about lumping all Chinese manuf together.
I recently picked up a WE 603a and 2 Kizers.......to say the build quality is amazing is really an understatement.
What it boils down to, IMO, is CRKT MUST have an actual presence in the plants they deal with........and I hate to even think it, but can this be the first and only time this has happened??
Joe

CRKT is consistently pretty terrible with regards to their quality. Doesn't surprise me one bit. Glad it's all working out for you and the others who have purchased this item, OP.

Not to stir up controversy (well, I guess that is unavoidable), but upon giving it more consideration I don't know if I'm really impressed with CRKT's response (or lack thereof) in this situation.

This forum thread, along with their message to Knifecenter, will probably reach less than 1% of their consumer base. They've made no effort to warn their consumers on their pretty substantial social media platforms, which means the bulk of their customers won't know about the whopping QC failure here, or on the "titanium" Squid. I don't want to go as far to call this a "cover up", but Knifecenter is handling the brunt of the damage here while CRKT is able to keep it's non-enthusiast consumer base blissfully unaware of continuous material issues.

Furthermore, this incident is probably going to do some irreparable damage to legitimate Chinese manufacturers, who I have been a strong proponent of since the very first Reate knife was released. I hate to see this thread get trotted out like that picture of the Emerson HD7 with the failed framelock every time someone mentions Chinese made knives.

i bet this is 8cr13mov steel.

I doubt it. I have the Hootenanny in 8Cr, and it doesn't stain like that. I think knifecenter is right that it's some sort of carbon steel. I actually would love to have a Hootenanny in carbon, but not if it's marked "S30V." :D

Not to stir up controversy (well, I guess that is unavoidable), but upon giving it more consideration I don't know if I'm really impressed with CRKT's response (or lack thereof) in this situation.

This forum thread, along with their message to Knifecenter, will probably reach less than 1% of their consumer base. They've made no effort to warn their consumers on their pretty substantial social media platforms, which means the bulk of their customers won't know about the whopping QC failure here, or on the "titanium" Squid. I don't want to go as far to call this a "cover up", but Knifecenter is handling the brunt of the damage here while CRKT is able to keep it's non-enthusiast consumer base blissfully unaware of continuous material issues.

Furthermore, this incident is probably going to do some irreparable damage to legitimate Chinese manufacturers, who I have been a strong proponent of since the very first Reate knife was released. I hate to see this thread get trotted out like that picture of the Emerson HD7 with the failed framelock every time someone mentions Chinese made knives.

I'd have to agree with you. What exactly are "improved Quality Assurance process for all CRKT products"? And Re-confirming our supplier certifications? Certifications are cool and all but they don't bar you from pulling shady shoot.

Yeah, it does show a couple of big brass ones. It'd be one thing to sub in a way cheaper stainless steel. But you gotta figure that somebody was gonna notice their "S30V" was rusting the second it started raining within 100 miles.

truf. THEY KNOW there has been quality issues for a long time. this incident wont make them do better. they get you with the gimmicky knives.

however Reate, WE, and a few others are the cream of the crop of Chinese craftsmanship. you cannot compare them to these other factories. i would say there are many different TIERS of manufacturing in china. you cannot lump them into one. Kizer is better than crkt and boker chinese knives but no where near the quality from WE, Reate, rike, steadmond, etc. then you have the shops in china that are on DHgate, alibaba etc, these are overall piss poor in comparison to the rest. however there are a handful of good vendors who make worthy products that keep popping up more recently.

IF crkt had reate, We, etc manufacture any of there knives i might actually buy them. im so disgusted with the knives ive already bought from CRKT that i wont ever buy crkt ever again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back