Cult of the peanut , members

...Please leave out the half stops.

I like half stops as a concept, but when I bought my pocket worn harvest orange peanut I managed to cut myself while checking it out in the store -- thanks to the half stop. Yeah, might be best to not have them.

Last edited:
On such a small knife as the peanut, I find half stops a detriment. The pinched peanut does have an easy pull. Overall, I find it a hard knife to fault.

Ordinarily I love half stops too. The older I get, the more arthritis is affecting me. I can tell that the A. G. Russell pinched peanut is safer with my hands the way they are now. It is easy to manipulate without that feeling it is going to get away. I read jackknife’s experience getting rid of his beloved peanut because of arthritis, and I don’t believe that I will have to give up on my pinched peanut. Maybe we should get a collection together and get jackknife an A. G. Russell pinched peanut for all the good he has done us and let him test the theory.

waverave

The GEC Database, Photoshop and Tortoise Shell Guy
Platinum Member
Henry Beige Henry Beige I think that is why you don't see a lot more of those around :) I also went to go look them up and had to pump the brakes on that whole thing a little bit haha. I went through the same thing with the blue giraffe bone Peanut that just came out.
I am really hoping that the AG Russell brand continues and they produce more of those but in a different material perhaps. I wonder if they would do the possible BF Cult of the Peanut knife? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Henry Beige

Gold Member
Henry Beige Henry Beige I think that is why you don't see a lot more of those around :) I also went to go look them up and had to pump the brakes on that whole thing a little bit haha. I went through the same thing with the blue giraffe bone Peanut that just came out.
I am really hoping that the AG Russell brand continues and they produce more of those but in a different material perhaps. I wonder if they would do the possible BF Cult of the Peanut knife? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They do offer some handle materials that bring the price down considerably, to somewhere well north of the most expensive knife I ever bought. I was thinking more along the lines of Rough Rider. They have shown that they can do pinched bolsters, at least.

Fodderwing

Gold Member
The cogs are turning...I am going to look into this. It might not be a Case/Bose collab but I'd bet we can find something. I really doubt it will be a problem to get enough folks in on it.
I bid you God's speed Weedhopper. Count me in on the A G Russell mammoth (Wharnie please) Prince of Peanuts. However if Rough Rider is our maker of choice I offer nothing but praise for them. Rough Riders are giants in quality for your $$ and take a backseat to no-one, all things being equal.

I thought the Russell pinched peanut looked good until a look at the site reminded me of the price. Under the New Dystopia, some ordinary things are going to be meant strictly for billionaires.

I live on a Carpenters monthly paycheck and I'm certainly not a billionaire, but I don't buy more than maybe 4 new knives per year.
That means I could save up for the AGR Pinched Peanut in Mammoth and I'm now waiting for it to cross "the Pond".
Looking at the pic's & spec's tells the story of a very wellmade peanut, with more edgeholding and higher F&F than any alternative.
Maybe AG Russell will again offer the earlier, less expensive versions in the future, who knows.
97fac1c38f06a2a0c7611ca65b869478.jpg
As I don't have any knives in Mammoth, I thought now was the right time to correct that error.

Regards
Mikael

waverave

The GEC Database, Photoshop and Tortoise Shell Guy
Platinum Member
It doesn't sound like they will be offering in a different material...any time soon anyway. Since they have done this in at least two materials over time I would expect at some point to see them offered again and hopefully next time in something more affordable.
I contacted Mary Ann Kruger @ AG Russell to ask a few questions and she said there were only a few of the pinched peanuts left...in the mammoth ivory only. No mention of another material being offered and she confirmed they don't do custom orders/club knives...even if I sourced the materials. Bummer!

Ordinarily I love half stops too. The older I get, the more arthritis is affecting me. I can tell that the A. G. Russell pinched peanut is safer with my hands the way they are now. It is easy to manipulate without that feeling it is going to get away. I read jackknife’s experience getting rid of his beloved peanut because of arthritis, and I don’t believe that I will have to give up on my pinched peanut. Maybe we should get a collection together and get jackknife an A. G. Russell pinched peanut for all the good he has done us and let him test the theory.

I thank you very deeply for that sentiment, but I can't let you all shell out that kind of money. I've been getting along with what I call other 'peanut class' of knives, in reality watch pocket size pocket knives. I find the small knives with no half stops much more manageable, like the Buck 309 companion and 303 cadet, the Boker 240 pen knife, and the 74mm Victorinox executive to be nice carry knives for older arthritic fingers. Nice light and smooth pulls with no sudden half stops for cutting senior citizen fumble fingers.

I still come here the to admire the pics of the beautiful legumes that you all post, so keep on posting. I still think the peanut is one of my very favorite pocket knives of all times, and a lot of that was because I watched my dad get by so well with one. I will always be a peanut man in heart.

I was sure you would feel this way jackknife. However the sentiment was sincere. Your storytelling alone is worth the price of admission let alone the other contributions you make! I hope you are getting along fine with your small blades that you using now and they are treating you well!

Last edited:

hsherzfeld

Basic Member
Despite my previously stated (and still held) opinion on the ugliness of its shield, my blue bone peanut is becoming my most-used knife for whittlin' out of my three 'nuts, because the Corn Cob jigging grooves give me the most secure grip. Here is a small spoon that I carved mainly with Blue Bone (used the pen blade to carve out the bowl and the clip blade to shape the outside and handle).
IMG_0142.jpg

Despite my previously stated (and still held) opinion on the ugliness of its shield, my blue bone peanut is becoming my most-used knife for whittlin' out of my three 'nuts, because the Corn Cob jigging grooves give me the most secure grip. Here is a small spoon that I carved mainly with Blue Bone (used the pen blade to carve out the bowl and the clip blade to shape the outside and handle).
View attachment 1010607
Nice job. I really like the blue bone knives case does. Yours is a beautiful example.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC