Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

Setting up to cook a venison chili today when our electric can-opener bit the dust. Looked in all the kitchen drawers for the old mechanical can-opener - no one has seen it in years! My wife says, ‘don’t you still have a Scout Knife’? What an opportunity - with five cans to open I can do a comparison. The Imperial Scout is the WW-II and later design while the SAK has a unique front-cut design. Opened two cans with each tool - the Imperial is much smoother and makes a cleaner cut but is slower. The SAK will cut on a forward stroke or on a back stroke. However, it works best when cutting back towards you - it‘s much faster than the Imperial, but not as smooth functioning. It was a fun comparison, either will get the job done, but with a lot of cans to open the SAK is quicker. I opened the fifth can with the SAK. The chili was great. OH
Can-openers.jpg

Can-opening-with-Imperial-BSA.jpg

Can-cut-edge-smooth-with-Imperial.jpg

Can-opening-with-VIC-SAK.jpg

Can-cut-edge-rougher-with-VIC-SAK.jpg

Setting up to cook a venison chili today when our electric can-opener bit the dust. Looked in all the kitchen drawers for the old mechanical can-opener - no one has seen it in years! My wife says, ‘don’t you still have a Scout Knife’? What an opportunity - with five cans to open I can do a comparison. The Imperial Scout is the WW-II and later design while the SAK has a unique front-cut design. Opened two cans with each tool - the Imperial is much smoother and makes a cleaner cut but is slower. The SAK will cut on a forward stroke or on a back stroke. However, it works best when cutting back towards you - it‘s much faster than the Imperial, but not as smooth functioning. It was a fun comparison, either will get the job done, but with a lot of cans to open the SAK is quicker. I opened the fifth can with the SAK. The chili was great. OH

Can-opening-with-Imperial-BSA.jpg
I wasn’t going to post this, but your post inspired me to go ahead anyway.

The faint of heart may want to avert their eyes here, but I did this the other day just for old time’s sake, and to prove a point to myself:

It did dull the edge quite a bit, but no damage was done, and 3 or 4 minutes with a medium ceramic rod and a soft Arkansas stone brought it back to shaving sharp, no problems.

2wYbCfG.jpg

I don’t carry my Farmer enough but I keep it on the counter and it’s possibly my most used knife in the kitchen. Only can opener I use and cuts up Dino nuggets like no one’s business.

Couldn’t screw the back onto a remote fast enough for my little boy. Captured a mini breakdown. The crane toy is taller than him but he’ll break it before I finish this post.

l6FxfHpl.jpg

A new pattern to me. The Borromean knot. "The Borromean knot is composed of three rings linked in such a way that no two alone are connected. Only when all three come together does the linkage occur. In this case, to undo one is to undo them all."

Carving it from a 2x2x2 inches cube hasn't be easy. I have to refine the finish but that's enough to make me happy for today.

Dan.

Back