Dual Survival

I don't know but he should be using a flint blade or a rock with some vines tied around it for a handle. They should also make him grunt and point as if he cannot articulate our language as he hops around on his knuckles.

The story could be that Joe found him in a glacier when he was assigned to an arctic outpost and thawed him out. He's Joe's best friend now and helps him survive the harsh terrains where only Matt could feel at home.

And Matt never fails to convey a deep moral message that Joe couldn't grasp earlier on in the episodes but by the end of each of their adventures, Joe finally gets it and is growing as a human being throughout the season thanks to his neanderthal partner.

LOL. You gotta admit that letting the boa go was stupid.

I liked Cody, I talked to him a few times and he seemed like a nice guy.

However, Matt Graham seems interesting. I like that he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get rescued, and he also seems genuinely happy. He might be a bit too much of a hippie at times.

I don't like Joe. I understand the need for such a character on the show, since a lot of folks probably identify more with him. I'm an anthropologist, so I find primitive skills fascinating. The way Joe talks and acts is a bit irritating, just a personal opinion.

I know the show is scripted (I run a translation company as a side business and have done work for Discovery's "reality" shows), I watch it for pure entertainment. I don't expect one of the blokes to starve to death or get eaten by an alligator.

I finally got to watch the new episode with Matt Graham. His bow dill did look good. Not sure why he just didn't make a hand held bearing block, maybe scripted theatrics? The larger spindle, fireboard and bow of his setup made it visually easier for the audience. Also, granted it's scripted Joe looked like an even bigger goober than he was with Cody. Once again it is scripted. Still I wonder how much influence these people have over the script? I am FAR FAR from being an expert on anything but if a bow drill was in the script I would probably suggest it be done using methods from my own marginal skill set. Who knows? In any case the show wasn't 1/2 bad. Still despite DC's inability to be honest him and Cody were more entertaining.

I don't expect one of the blokes to starve to death or get eaten by an alligator.

Maybe the Discovery team would film them while starving ( material for two or three seasons ) or being eaten by a Croc (10 minutes for Matt, 20 for Joe, with lots of BEEPs from each) ?

Actually, I wouldn´t be surprised if they get something to eat and drink from the cameramen from time to time, like the corner of a sandwich or a gulp from a bottle.
Who cares anyway ? As long as the basics like shelter, water, fire and body temperature protection are taught a little to everyone, the show serves a purpose.
But I deeply miss Mykel Hawkes often repeated instruction from his man-woman show : "Always carry a lighter!"

If Matt becomes too great, I am sure the producers will air an episode soon in which he "compromises the mission" and only the 20 years of spec ops commando of the other guy will save their butts and allow them to complete "the mission".

Actually, I wouldn´t be surprised if they get something to eat and drink from the cameramen from time to time, like the corner of a sandwich or a gulp from a bottle.

I think what happens is the director says...CUT take 15 for lunch. They both sit down with the crew and eat. During the physical activities they're given water or somekinda sports drink off camera as needed. The drinking on camera of boiled water etc is just for show as it is so little. If dehydrated they couldn't keep to the script and it would slow down production.

n5hr1i.jpg

This is exactly why Joe, Cody, Matt, and Dave should enter a special Naked and Afraid episode. To prove they really are survivalists.

Each one of them should be dropped at different locations on a distant and very inhospitable island buck naked. Primitive death match style without the death. See who's the last standing after 21 days.

I like Ed Stafford's show he seems legit. Matt also seems very unique and knowledgeable. This last episode was the first time in a long time when teaching took place (camera paused for Matt to explain his bow drill technique and his latex sap technique). I think episodes with Matt be interesting because he seems to have no interest in actually finding rescue.

Speaking of Naked and Afraid, Manu Tiogo, the Australian chick, has designed her own knife, and seems to be getting prepped for her own show...

An actual copy of a script from "Dual Survival"....

Co-Star demonstrates wilderness survival skill

Teti says something dumb, screams "OUR MISSION IS COMPROMISED" and beats the nearest small animal to death.

ROTFLMAO. I couldn't have said it better. And just to reiterate what I said on bshcrUSA: Matt = awesomeness. Keep Matt, ditch Joe for John Hudson or Terry Schappert, and we will all have a hell of a show. I'm current military, Army Captain, and wouldn't want Joe as a civilian tag-along let alone anything else.

As for Naked and Marooned; likish Ed Stafford. I like his skills, I like his realism, I dislike his very childhood demeanor often depicted. That is probably something to do with a deeper personality conflict, but I will keep watching. I did a 7 say solo with nothing on course a while back (no knife, no shoe laces, no belt, etc), and can say, he definitely has a lot to teach me / I have a lot I can learn from him regardless of our couch-TV relationship personality conflict.

Last edited:
Way too busy. How many stitches when striking a ferro rod? I bet someone buys them so they can sue the manufacturer. It could be used as a prop in a TV show.

Yep. I can see it on a sci fi movie.

Looks like a dogs breakfast

Looks like a dogs breakfast after it's been through the dog.

Matt has definitely rekindled my interest in the show, and I look forward to seeing how Joe tries to stay relevant.

I doubt if any maker is willing or capable of combining all these grinds and machining processes.
apparently, not a single thought was spent on manufacturing. Who cares if it can be made for a reasonable price, after 21 days in the jungle ? this looks like the batmobile from the 50s.
the people living in these regions of the world have not come up with these designs. they are stupid, i guess.

Back