Edge Pro Matrix resin bond diamond stones

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Diemaker, Jun 14, 2018.

1. RustyIron

RustyIron

Dec 4, 2019
    That’s great advice. Most of us don’t have the magnifying capability to see an edge that close up. For the longest time, until you touched upon it in another thread, I couldn’t understand why some of my stropped edges seemed less sharp than they were before I started.

I have this stuff called nanocloth, that I bought early on because people smarter than me said to. It’s a little squishy, which I’ve come to think might not be such a great characteristic.

2. Flogger

Flogger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2020
    What kind of glass is recommended for flattening the diamond matrix stones. I’ve got the 240 grit aluminum oxide but not sure if I need float glass or plate glass or?
    Also should I flatten the diamond matrix stones before the first use?

I’ve got the complete set coming and I’m really looking forward to using them on the tsprof ko3.
    Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Lots of great info here.

3. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    @Flogger
    I think any kind of flat glass will work too however.

Diemaker and Flogger like this.
  4. Flogger

Flogger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2020

Crap, not sure how I missed that.
    Thank you greatly for the info sir!

5. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    :)

Flogger likes this.
  6. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    I the guy I got the stones from sold me a whole set that he used only 3 times when I got them I tried using them the way they were then I tried dressing which didn't help and it was with 240 aluminum oxide powder that the guy go from edge pro's site when he ordered them.

I had a full set of your stones and tried them all,I used light pressure when sharpening with the Matrix stones and I never like to use a lot of pressure when sharpening with any stone as I feel it give poor result's.
    I like to use trailing edge strokes when finishing with most of the stones I use and I did the same thing with the Matrix stones.

If you go to Edge Snobs on Facebook and look up Scott Gunn he did a review on them a while back,he doesn't think your stones are terrible and he found the same thing that I did that the Matrix stones don't give the edge as much bite as the Venev stones,Scot won't care if you join the group and reach out to him.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
    Diemaker likes this.
  7. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    @wade7575 Could you edit your post to insert the
    Code:
    [QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    tags? It's pretty confusing reading it right now.

8. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    I've done it...no content was changed.

Glock Guy and Mr.Wizard like this.
  9. Diemaker

Diemaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2017
    It sounds like you did everything right so I will just chalk it up to you like a different flavor of ice cream. If we all liked the same thing there wouldn't be nearly as many stone choices to play with. Keep in mind the lightest pressure a Venev will still cut at is the most pressure you want to use on a Matrix stone, they are totally different in this regard. As for "bite" what grits did you finish with and why not just step down a grit, or two?