Emberlite stainless steal or ti.

Handy little buggers aren't they? And you wouldn't roast marshmallows on such short skewers over a campfire! :thumbup:

Codger your relentless posting and touting the emberlite is getting tiresome.......

You are making me nag the wife to order one soon!!

The coghlans extendable fork is pretty good, it can hold an entire sausage without bending or falling off easily, figured the stick through the lanyard for rolling pretty quick as well.

Brad, I do not get a discount or a kickback from the maker. I swears! But FYI if you care to look, the maker is currently doing a GAW and it will be ending soon. I think he has upped the ante to three units now, three weiners.

Handy little buggers aren't they? And you wouldn't roast marshmallows on such short skewers over a campfire! :thumbup:

I like the Emberlit is a useful cooking wood stove and a lot of fun . I don't really go out hiking for hours not experience in hiking . But I'm going to take it with me every time I have a chance . Some people will think I'm nuts or a grown kid but who cares what they think . Next time out I'm taking coffee and make it the way my grandparents use to make coffee in Puerto Rico over fire with something we call the coffee sock .

Got a chance last week to bust out the Ti Emberlite and my Ti Heavy Cover Canteen kit. Took the kids up to our farm house and didn't feel like cooking inside since it was so nice out. I decided to grill a few hot dogs and heat up some beans for the kids and I, both the stove and canteen kit worked flawlessly. I will say, that stove gets pipping hot and had the beans boiling quickly, if I didn't sit there and stir constantly I would have burned them on the bottom, which still happened a little anyway when I walked away for bit. All in all I'm real happy with the new gear, can't wait for the Fireant I have backed on kickstarter! Here are a few pics

Beans are upside down, opened them from the bottom on accident:D
i-734NL8t-L.jpg

i-JhPBWPK-L.jpg

i-Wfh8WM2-L.jpg

i-zRdcvLj-L.jpg

i-SvSfWPd-L.jpg

I am still waiting to hear from someone who bought an Emberlit and doesn't like it. Not too surprising that among the stove's biggest fans are kids. For the next outing, or even a treat at home, scour the stores for the old fashioned Jiffy-Pop popcorn in the aluminum pan with expanding top. It isn't in all stores, but it is out there.

All the reviews in this thread and elsewhere have got me quite excited to try it out, now got to wait for it to arrive...

All the reviews in this thread and elsewhere have got me quite excited to try it out, now got to wait for it to arrive...

I bought mine early on in production and didn't get the pot support crossbars... those became available later. I've only needed to support a smaller pot once and used a pair of steel tentstakes. Don't be tempted to use aluminum ones as the stove can get hot enough to melt them. Fluid in an aluminum vessel however will keep it cool enough to not melt. In fact you can cook bacon and eggs in a dampened (water or grease) brown paper bag over the Emberlit with just a bit of caution. Old Boy Scout trick.

Big :thumbup: up for the Emberlit . Love it and I'm not a kid I just like playing with man Toys .

Codger, you make a good point, I don't think I've seen any negative reviews on the Emberlit. I did a bunch of research on stoves when I was looking around and this one just kept leaping out at me, just a bunch of a positive reviews and ease of use. I had some cabelas points and it paid for the stove, can't beat that! Mine came with the crossbars and a orange tyvak bag. The stove arrived and I fired it up a few time and loved it so much I immediately backed the Fireant on Kickstarter, can't wait for that one to throw in the day back.

I never thought of jiffy pop, the kids will love that!

I have both titanium and SS versions.
The difference in weight is really not a factor for me.
For care-free maintenance, I recommend Ti.
My Ti one lives in my back yard, rain or shine. Ok, it's SoCal so it's mainly shine.
I make a fire almost every other evening - my 2 little boys love it.
Except for some warping, it's going strong and I'm not sure what can destroy this stove.

The warping could be from tap water, titanium is inert vs most chemicals and elements because it forms a protective Titanium oxide coating, except for a few things like chlorine and fluoride, chlorine causes pitting and increases the surface area and fluoride is absorbed and causes heat warping.

If you dont think tap water can have enough of either to cause it, the SR-71 blackbird had the exact same problem with its Ti sheeting and it was the tapwater, they had to start shipping in non fluoride/chlorinated water for washing the panels because once up in the air all the panels would start to warp once heated up by air friction.

As I said, my Ti Emberlit is one of the early production ones (flat plates, no embossing to enhance rigidity), but I have not experienced any warping. And I have heated it to astoundingly high temps using high btu wood (hickory), also I wash and scrub it after multiple burns using Fast Orange mechanic's hand cleaner and tap water. It cuts right thru the accumulated soot and resins without leaving a noticeable film.

Well it arrived and I tested it out just cooking some noodles...

Things I Discovered.

1.Does not seem to cook any faster then an actual camp fire... or slower.
2.It needs a wind shield for my local weather(60-100kmh wind gusts) untill it gets going, then the wind just acts as a furnace bellows.
3.Burns alot cleaner, burned some Banksia that leaves a thick sticky tar like residue all over my cookware in a normal fire, left just soot that wiped away easily with some detergent. Also produced very little smoke once established.
4.Uses bugger all wood one of its selling points and quite amazing the first time you try it.. I only made one trip to collect some wood.. and I had three times the amount I needed.
5.having your noodles froth over and half put the fire out is bad for the Emberlite(duh!), baseplate warped almost 45 degrees and popped out of one side. Bent back reasonably straight though afterwards.
6.The cross bars had a bur that managed to produce a small 1/2 inch but deep cut on my thumb, almost to the bone when I pushed them in, it was really tight fit to get them slot in the corners the first time and as the fire was going I was in a hurry to get my hand out of there.
7.Leukoplast standard medical tape really does work as a replacement for sutures, and far better then butterfly bandages for closing a gaping wound.

Despite the two little mishaps... which were both my fault, over filling my titanium Bot and not checking metal edges for burs on a new product... Love it... now I just need to convince myself I need 2.. so I can order the titanium version :)

I have one of the early stainless version before the Ti was available. It doesn't get as much use backpacking as my gigapower, but it's great for small backyard fires with the kids. At some point I'll upgrade to the Ti version and likely carry it more. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and have had no problems with corrosion.

My wife didn't want to build a bonfire so I got my ember lit out . Great time with the family .
a6346de9b5996ce2893742ccd0c7050a_zps05ca6918.jpg

Later on I warmed up some soup .
93332c365020590a85d5662371995ebe_zps0d439fda.jpg

Received the FireAnt this week, it's pretty sweet! Great little compact and practically weightless stove. I got in on the kickstarter and received the stove, carry bag and removable shelf that you can set fuel tablets on in lieu of burning wood. I haven't fired it up yet but hopefully I'll get it out this week along with my fullsized version and get some pics. Seems like a homerun to me!

I have both titanium and SS versions.
The difference in weight is really not a factor for me.
For care-free maintenance, I recommend Ti.
My Ti one lives in my back yard, rain or shine. Ok, it's SoCal so it's mainly shine.
I make a fire almost every other evening - my 2 little boys love it.
Except for some warping, it's going strong and I'm not sure what can destroy this stove.

I have a Ti and get a bit of warpage, and my guess is that they all warp a bit from heat. But out of curiosity, does the SS version warp less ?, or about the same. I used it a couple of weeks ago on a Boreal forest river bank. What are the maintenance issues that you mentioned in regard to the SS version ? Thanks.

Just my .2cents and maybe it been said but who cares if it rusts its not going to harm function and it would take many years before rust made it non function able. Same goes for firearms people worry about rust but with proper maintenance they still function 100% but look ugly. People these days have fallen into the looks good trap(myself included) far too much. If light is your goal go Ti if function is what your after get stainless or even regular steel. Once again my .2cents comming from a guy that owns stainless steel firearms cuz there SHINY

Back