Emerson Calls Bullsh*t

Status
Not open for further replies.
stabman, what's the matter? The man is showing you the courtesy of addressing concerns and you spit on his efforts? Try to distinguish between the businessman and the fanboiz.

stabman, what's the matter? The man is showing you the courtesy of addressing concerns and you spit on his efforts? Try to distinguish between the businessman and the fanboiz.

I guess I didn't view it in that light.
I'll try to view it later with the benefit of less emotion.:)

ive bought, traded, and sold more than a few emerson knives.

ive been pleased with every one. that is not to say they are perfect or there is not room for improvement. i would like to see a higher degree of finish from the factory. as it is, like haze, i spend about an hour with each to fit the scales and put an even finish on the liners. i dont mind doing this, as i can be a bit of a tinkerer. but of course i would also like the knives to look and feel like they do now when i purchase them. this may be a huge problem for some, it obviously isn't for me.

they have released several new designs a year for a few years now, and i think that is pretty great. but i would also like to see re-releases of knives like the 12 and persian.

and i believe they are tough. i sent my 13 to ankerson to beat on for one of his videos. check the testing forum, watch the video, and see if you still think they aren't tough.

the tip is still in tact, there is no vertical play, and the lock engagement is pretty much where it was before his tests.

judge for yourself. i have.

i have also met and spoken to mr. emerson. there was nothing to indicate to me he is in any way arrogant or an egomaniac. ive posted this several times, but he spoke to me for over 30 minutes about various topics. never once did i feel i was wasting his time and never once did he try and dismiss me from the conversation. and never once did he try and sell me on the quality of his products or pressure me to buy something. in fact, i have not purchased anything from his table at shows.

he is friendly and engaging with everyone at the shows. you can say it was his job as a businessman and a salesman to do so. it is my feeling this is not the case, and he is genuine when he meets people.

ive been to the old shop in torrance. ive met and spoken to mary. ive sent coworkers to his shop to buy his knives. every one has been pleased with the experience and their purchase.

at the recent plaza cutlery show, i was standing in the lobby with charlie mike. ernie walked out in to the lobby, saw us, and walked over to say hello. i have no idea if he recognized me, or if he was just being friendly. and i dont care.

That last post made by Moritom would be a good place to lock this one down I think. Great way to end the thread.

-Tye

That last post made by Moritom would be a good place to lock this one down I think. Great way to end the thread.

-Tye

Well, yes and no.......

I have enjoyed and used Emerson knives for many years in my work as a forester/chainsaw operator/arborist and in my free time as a lover of the outdoors, praticioner of MA and just as a knife collector. Those knives have never point blank failed me but I have defo. had issues...........

"Where are those knives ?" Mr. Emerson has asked time and again.........well, they are either still in my possession having been fixed or are in a new home having been fixed. I'm not about to spend $40-$50-$60 to send a knife half way back round the world when I can fix it my self for free. That doesn't make me a liar or a bullsh!t artist as Mr. Emerson called me..... thank you very much.

I find this whole thing very dissapointing...............

Toker Blue- having owned and traded well over 50 emerson knives ive always been satisfied with fit and finish, again watch for fakes. Also fit and finish is highly opianated everone knows if you want a pretty knife of musuem quality you buy a chris reeve.
- You don't need to buy a Chris Reeve to see good fit and finish. You can look at other knives in the Emerson price range like Spyderco, Benchmade and Kershaw to find much better examples of proper fit and finishes.

When you look at the liner of one of the new Prestige knives, you would be happy paying a premium for this finish?
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8759986&postcount=22

If you want a solid hard use knife that your life could depend on, everyone knows get an emerson.
- I've never disagreed with that statement. I carry the CQC-10 and Combat Karambit for SD. That's the best endorsement I can give.

My gripe was simply that there is room for improvement in the Emerson line. If one of the common complaints isn't about durability and is simply about fit and finish, why not fix it?

scs95y.jpg

Premium.

Last edited:
Mr, Emerson, here's what the issue boils down to: as a manufacturer, you have the right to set your own internal standards for quality control and spec. But as consumers, we also have the right to decide what level of fit and finish is acceptable to us in any knife that we purchase. Whenever those two prerogatives come into conflict, the opinion of the consumer takes supersedence every single time because you are trying to sell knives to us.

As you astutely pointed out, the notion of "perfection" lacks objective quantification -- therefore it is entirely a matter of preference and it is pointless to argue about it. And frankly, few of us are looking for "perfection" in the knives that we buy anyways. But this discussion isn't about perfection, it's about expectations.

Gary Randall gave you some sound advice. One unfortunate side-effect of success is the resentiment and envy of others, and the anonymity granted by the internet will naturally augment the tenacity of such people by several orders of magnitude. But among those who exaggerate their claims are genuinely dissatisfied customers, and you must take care in distinguishing the two so that you can ignore the first and address the concerns of the second. And let's be honest with ourselves here: the trolls wouldn't exist at all if there weren't a sufficient number of real complaints to serve as a foundation for propelling their hyperbole into the spotlight.

The fit and finish of a great many of your knives has been substandard - and enough of your customers have had problems with Emerson fit and finish to bring it to your attention. When we, your customers, complain, you have a responsibility to take us at our word -- not for our sake, but for your own. Allow me to supplement the good advice of Mr. Randall with with these words:

You live or die by the goodwill of your customers. Never piss them off, because no matter how much it may appear to you to be otherwise, you need them a lot more than they need you. Fighting them, opposing them, or calling them liars may boost your bottom line today, but if you develop an adversarial relationship with them, you will be gone tomorrow. And no one will miss you.

Emerson Combat Karambit, newly purchased: $257.95

Liner coming off the scale and causing tension on the blade. I had a similar problem with a Super Karambit which I sent to EKI for repairs about a month ago.
emerson_fitfinish_karambit01.jpg

Deep gouges on the belly of the tang, covered with black coating. The gouges continue into the inside of the knife and are leaving scratches on the liner.
emerson_fitfinish_karambit02.jpg

Gouges continue to the other side of the tang. The back part of the knife that rests against the torsion bar has no coating whatsoever and is unevenly ground, causing up-and-down blade play.
emerson_fitfinish_karambit03.jpg

I've owned and then sold/traded a few other Emersons as well, and each had its generous share of similar problems. I never took pictures of them, but you can take me at my word.

Dear Members,

I recently became aware of a thread here concerning Emerson Knives QC problems. Inside the thread were several mentions of numerous knives, in fact a preponderance of knives that were being rejected, returned to dealers, couldn’t be sold, knives snapped in half, screws stripped, etc, etc.

Where are those knives? I repeat. Where are those knives?

Mr. Emerson this is mine . And because you haven't heard me the first time,I repeat - it is mine!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756545

Best Regarde
Lyudmil Lozov- bratlari
Sofia Bulgaria email. bratlari@abv.bg

Goodgawd! We're talking about a knife here! Get THE knife that makes YOU happy and that's it! The selection is huge!

Mr. Emerson this is mine . And because you haven't heard me the first time,I repeat - it is mine!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756545

Best Regarde
Lyudmil Lozov- bratlari
Sofia Bulgaria email. bratlari@abv.bg

Something is not right here!

New Graham is in Va, why does your ticket have a Durham NC address on the top part? Did you have this knife shipped to someone in Durham from New Graham then they shipped it to you because new graham would not ship internationally?

The screws on the clip look to be undone at one time or another!

I'm thinking of you had it shipped to a "friend" in Durham NC, he took your clip off and either put another clip he had on it and carried it for a few days before passing it on to you! ;) He may have took the clip off to not let it get marked up?

I know the New Graham crew and am pretty sure they would NOT ship that knife out and call it new. :)

Gentlemen,
Do not make me write again everything I already have written in that link. Just read it.
Mr. Emerson wanted to show him where these knives are and I showed him, not anonymously.
Do not search for a conspiracy here; the knife wasn’t use by me, nor by my friend. New Graham agreed with what I said and offered me 5 % discount for the next order because they knew what they have sold me. Emerson Knives said ‘Thank you!’.
I’m not an Emerson hater. Why didn’t I post such photos of my Emerson Commander that is a favorite EDC of mine for years!?

P.S. Repeat- I’m not an Emerson hater!

021054900.jpg

Well said, Ernest! Great knives, great guy! I'm going to go out and buy an Emerson this week now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back