Emerson Calls Bullsh*t

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased an Emerson Commander back in 2001 while stationed at Ft. Bragg. Those of you around that time will remember all the posts here about Emerson knives falling apart en masse and how flimsy they were that you could bend the liners and g10 with just 2 fingers. Of course anyone that has held an Emerson knife can tell you that's a complete lie.

Well, it's 2010 and I'm still here waiting on my 2001 Emerson Commander to fall apart just like they said it would in 2001. Although I did replace it with a new 2007 Emerson Commander only because I prefer the older design over the newer one and didn't want to chance losing it. Never the less, I will keep you all posted on my 2001 Commander Death Watch. Just don't hold your breath.

I purchased an Emerson Commander back in 2001 while stationed at Ft. Bragg. Those of you around that time will remember all the posts here about Emerson knives falling apart en masse and how flimsy they were that you could bend the liners and g10 with just 2 fingers. Of course anyone that has held an Emerson knife can tell you that's a complete lie.

Well, it's 2010 and I'm still here waiting on my 2001 Emerson Commander to fall apart just like they said it would in 2001. Although I did replace it with a new 2007 Emerson Commander only because I prefer the older design over the newer one and didn't want to chance losing it. Never the less, I will keep you all posted on my 2001 Commander Death Watch. Just don't hold your breath.

If you look through posts on this forum, you will not find many at all claiming that the knives will fall apart. I know I never have.
I said when things turned out well with the knives (like my first Comrade:thumbup:), and when they didn't (like the 2009 stonewashed Combat Karambit and second Comrade:().
I have no dog in the fight really. I just reported things as they were, whether good or bad.

Knives are tools.

If you are examining your knives under a microscope, you may have a deeper issue that goes beyond a small gap in your liner.

scs95y.jpg

Premium.

Return it if you are not happy. And I'll take it.

^That knife is not owned by the person who red-inked it. It is actually mystro's knife and he was very satisfied with F&F.

Knives are tools.

Yes, and they are tools that we pay $100-500 for. Is it so wrong to expect some difference for the additional cash we commit?

Something is distinctly wrong when knives like the Tenacious and SRM 710 have as good or better F&F than $150 knives, regardless of manufacture.

^That knife is not owned by the person who red-inked it. It is actually mystro's knife and he was very satisfied with F&F.
I don't doubt he's happy with it, but the picture does show the very rough finish on the liners that several of us were discussing.

Yes, and they are tools that we pay $100-500 for. Is it so wrong to expect some difference for the additional cash we commit?

Something is distinctly wrong when knives like the Tenacious and SRM 710 have as good or better F&F than $150 knives, regardless of manufacture.

Do those knives use premium steels and materials? That's the real cost difference.

You do have a point though, however unless the F&F effects the performance, there's really no need to bother with it. I'd hate to examine my SnG under a microscope, it doesn't mean it makes it any less quality of a knife.

If you use the knife, it's going to get scratched, scuffed, etc. The fit and finish really doesn't matter after a few years of real use. To me anyways.

that you could bend the liners and g10 with just 2 fingers. Of course anyone that has held an Emerson knife can tell you that's a complete lie.

I had a SpecwarA in 2004 and yes you could bend the liner with just 2 fingers. My current models of the Mini CQC8 and A100 you can not.

All do respect, I own quite a bit of knives from Benchmade, ZT, etc..... I have a very expensive watch and gun collection and I know what good fit and finish is. Most would call me very picky about my hobbies. My recent purchase of my Prestige CQC-7V has (IMO) very good cosmetic fit and finish. Real world toughness and reliability is what I buy my knives for. If you put a macro lens on anything, you will find some flaws. You got to ask yourself... "why am I even looking this hard for flaws to begin with?"
sign_redxpoke.gif

Lets remember this IS a Emerson forum and I would hope the reason we are all here is because we are fans of Mr. Emersons knives.

Emersonback-1.jpg

CQC7VandRaptor.jpg

Last edited:
If you use the knife, it's going to get scratched, scuffed, etc. The fit and finish really doesn't matter after a few years of real use. To me anyways.

I see where your coming from, but...

...it doesn't mean it makes it any less quality of a knife.

Here, you lose me. For example:

1. An S30V, Ti framelock folder with a slightly uneven grind, rough liner edges and unevenly finished scales. (Let's just say it's made by Benchmade)

2. A Sebenza. (Because, you know, this is Bladeforums after all.)

Let's pretend both are otherwise exactly the same, functionality-wise.

Which one would you say is better quality?

Last edited:
Which one would you say has better quality?

I should have been more specific. I meant quality as a user. Not F&F.

I'm just saying that my SnG may have the F&F of a Tenacious, but there's no comparison when you talk performance. The same can be said with my CQC-10.

I carry a LaGriffe everyday on duty. I trust it and that means a lot to me. Thanks for posting Ernie

Well now, there's FIT, and there's FINISH.
FIT affects how the parts mesh and function together.
FINISH is rather more how the sum of the parts look.
Are they related? certainly.
I have no problems with EKI's finish, per se.
The fit, however, is another matter altogether. Based upon my own, previously mentioned, experience, that is.

Only owned two Emersons and loved them both. Currently just have a Mini-CQC15 being pimped by Mr. Dobson (yeah, I'll post pics:D)

Zero functional issues and are just as good with fit and finish as other brands known for that....but are much cooler.:cool:

As for the rant, very little to gain, but alot to lose, Mr. Emerson....if that matters to ya.

But, only those who've had issues that Emerson Knives WOULDN'T fix or resolve carry any weight. How many fall into that category? Not many I think.

The rest is subjective fluff.

Last edited:
Emerson Combat Karambit, newly purchased: $257.95

Liner coming off the scale and causing tension on the blade. I had a similar problem with a Super Karambit which I sent to EKI for repairs about a month ago.
emerson_fitfinish_karambit01.jpg

I've got the exact same thing going on with my 2009 Super Karambit. The nonlocking liner is bending away from the ring.

But, only those who've had issues that Emerson Knives WOULDN'T fix or resolve carry any weight. How many fall into that category? Not many I think.

The rest is subjective fluff.

Not really.
Many of us do not live anywhere where we can try the knives in person before purchasing. Hence, we rely on the reputation of knife companies for quality to inform us when making internet purchases.
We all get that the finish isn't a concern with this particular brand. Get it, got it, good.
BUT, quality of the knives, as far as not needing repair right away, or having to send it back to the dealer right away, is another matter.
Maybe I'm weird, but I expect that when I drop $200 or more on a knife it will not need tweaking for function right away.
Read that again; function, not appearance. Function.
If I buy an Emerson, knowing beforehand that the liners won't be flush (as I have), then it's up to me to do the extra work to make them flush, and sand out the laser-cut ridges (as I did on my Combat Karambit).
But I have every right to expect proper function out of the box.
I thought that was the whole point of "Made in America quality."
I thought that was what justified the price.

Stabman,

Thats unfortunate. Its certainly not too much to expect that a knife function properly when new. No one's debating that.

Maybe one solution is to not buy high end knives sight unseen off the internet??

The Buy/Sell/Trade and Wanted ads here works great and even online I routinely speak with dealers and have them send me their "best one left". I've done that several times with Striders from reputable dealers.

I've bought thru private sale and online...and received in trade dozens of knives these past few years and have yet to get a lemon. Pics request and a little inquiry goes a long way to not getting a bad blade. Even online.

One aspect that cannot be overlooked is the value of the design.

I just happen to be one of the consumers who really likes Emerson's designs, and I pay the price;):thumbup:.

Seeing as how much I prefer his designs, I can overlook an imperfect F&F.

Its like he made the handle on the model 7 just for me. It fits my hand perfectly -the way I like a handle to fit. YMMV.

What am I supposed to do? Buy a knife that has better materials and F&F -with a design that does not appeal to me?

I don't think so.

Tonight I'm back in the middle east, again. I don't have an Emerson knife with me, but wish I did. I've carried one much of the time I've been here, and have a lot of respect for them. At the moment, without my favorite Commander or CQC-15, I feel a bit naked.

I have a lot of knives. I don't miss any of them so much as I miss having my Emersons right now, for what it's worth.

I'm probably one of the customers that Mr. Emerson casts aside with his comments, but I don't use his knives because I'm cultivating a personal relationship...just because they work and I trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back