Emerson Calls Bullsh*t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I won't be waiting on my invitiation to the barbeque!:p

i don't know.

i try not to make decisions about people based solely on a handful of forum thread interactions.

if i did, i would have put you on ignore a long time ago.

i don't know.

i try not to make decisions about people based solely on a handful of forum thread interactions.

if i did, i would have put you on ignore a long time ago.

Perfectly understandable.
I have myself on ignore so I don't have to read what I post.

So, E. Emerson is right :

Broken blades, defective parts, stripped screws etc. are not opinions. They are real, tangible, physical things. Again I ask; Where are they?

No pics, no proof, only words, words, and words again...

You're not agree? Don't speak but show them like TheBleedingEdge.

if I buy an Emerson, knowing beforehand that the liners won't be flush (as I have), then it's up to me to do the extra work to make them flush, and sand out the laser-cut ridges (as I did on my Combat Karambit).
- Can you tell me how and what you used to sand out the liners? I'm actually interested in cleaning up the appearance of my Emersons.

I have a few Emersons now, a super commander, super karambit, la griffe and a cqc-13 and they are all great. I love them. No problems here. As for fit and finish Emersons are supposed to be ugly, I would rather have Rambo save me over Brad Pitt.:D

- Can you tell me how and what you used to sand out the liners? I'm actually interested in cleaning up the appearance of my Emersons.

Just regular silicon carbide sandpaper.:)
I started at 220 grit and worked my way up to 2000 grit.
Most of the work was done at lower grits, and I sanded wet for the final step.
I sanded enough that the chamfering was mostly gone on the G-10, But folded over a few times, sandpaper can put it back on.:thumbup:
A side bonus was an enlarged retention ring for the Karambit; I always found the hole too small.

I did most of the sanding with the knife assembled, so I could get all the parts to match the way I wished. I just disassembled it after to clean all grit and round the inside edge of the liners.

So, E. Emerson is right :

No pics, no proof, only words, words, and words again...

You're not agree? Don't speak but show them like TheBleedingEdge.

There's the tang burn.
Perhaps Mr. Emerson took pictures of the stripped screw when I sent the knife for repair.
I didn't, as I didn't know I was going to have to appease random internet folks a year later.

Attachments

• SANY0420.jpg
    SANY0420.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 78
Just regular silicon carbide sandpaper.:)
I started at 220 grit and worked my way up to 2000 grit.
Most of the work was done at lower grits, and I sanded...

I did most of the sanding with the knife assembled, so I could get all the parts to match the way I wished. I just disassembled it after to clean all grit and round the inside edge of the liners.
- Much thanks. I'll have to give this a try.

back on topic:
I don't want to send in my emerson horseman since it will cost me too much to ship insured overseas and back. I'll keep the knife as is. I still like it. The ball of the ball detent is gone, and the liner has travelled all the way to the opposite scale.

Here is a thread I've done on my emerson horseman and there is a video that shows it.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722690&highlight=hard+beating+horseman

I really did not like the way Mr. Emerson interacted with the members of this forum in this thread and do not like the way he did so in the past. It seems it's only to market stuff that he's posting here and this thread is just too sarcastic, it really turns me off from the product too.

That said, Mr. Emerson seems to be a much nicer person when I see him on video. Some people communicate better in person than in written word.

My CQC-7 fails the spine whack test.

Not a super hard whack, but raising it 3 or 4 inches and tapping the spine on a padded 2 x 4 releases the lock after 3 taps every time.

I love the knife, still have it and edc it once in a full moon, but in an "Oh sh*t situation" the lock could fail. Just wish it was 100% secure.

(The liner also has slowly migrated towards the other side, hasn't touched the other scale yet, but is on it's way -kinda wished the liners were made from hardened 410 stainless ===> less wear than titanium).

Please educate me:

As I never bought an Emerson before:

I got it, they are rugged knives, the design is unparalleled.
They are supposed to be used as tools, self-defense-tools that is.

They seem to have some troubles when fit and finish ist concerned.
(what I see in pics so far.)

I have absoulutly NO doubt about the honsty and INTEGRITY of Mr. Emerson.

But what I´m not clear about is the following:
Are the blades worth my hard earned dollars (Euros that is, in this case)?

You have to acknowledge, we have to pay (give or take 10€ ) 150 Euros for a CQC 7 here....

Design is outstanding, no questions asked. Reputation isn´t questionable. Considering the pricepoint I get my doubts.

When I see the pics of blades and liners I would return in the blink of an eye, I ask myelf if i´m not better of with another Spyder or Benchmade?

I recently got an Endura-IV, ZDP189, hard rocked (2 tours in Afistan, remember, we are back in the game), still wearing dust from the sandbox, and its still good to go.

Why should I get an Emerson?

I dont question Mr. Emersons integrity (I´m a conservative myself) but I like my bucks to be well spend.

Especially if I pay 180 in a cutting tool, retail that is....

So, plaese educate me, I´m trying to learn, but i´m kinda stubborn ;-)

Handle some.

They have a heft...a solidness to them that when you open one and have it in hand it gives you confidence that you have a real tool at your disposal.

I like most Spydercos and some BMs but every Emerson I've handled is just BUILT for use.

Nonlocking liner separating from scale. 2009 Super Karambit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had this EXACT same problem with a Super Karambit also. Same place on the ring, same tension issues causing the blade to scrape the liner. It irritated me then, and it pisses me off now that it is happening AGAIN to my combat karambit.

Here's what it really comes down to though: it is very disappointing to pay top dollar for a supposedly high quality knife, only to find the fit and finish is substandard. Who wouldn't be disappointed? But you know what? I am willing to deal with that, because I can bring my complaints to the manufacturer, and they can take steps to resolve my issues.

What I will not tolerate, however, is a manufacturer who is so out of touch that he has the gall to call his customers bullshitters - the very customers who had enough faith in his integrity to give his product a chance. It is presumptuous, inconsiderate, and juvenile not to reciprocate some of that faith in OUR integrity by taking our complaints seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back