Fiddlebacks and Food

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Dcaggie06, Feb 12, 2014.

1. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    The Protagonist helping with the spaghetti sauce this morning. And helping confirm that asking for brightly colored handles on the knives for the cook book was a good idea, in just how the birch disappears into the cutting board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aardvark

Aardvark Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 26, 2002
    You're looking at it wrong: you need a micarta cutting board!

Nice looking sauce.

B Griffin likes this.
  3. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    LOL, perhaps but it's too late now. I've spent the last few years testing, buying, gathering, and making wooden cutting boards of different colors for this cookbook. In the tests I've noticed that very few foods are blue, so a friend from years ago, pre-blade forums days, who has been making some nice kitchen knives the last few years offered to make me a couple of blue handled knives just for this cookbook. I think the blue will pop.

4. Aardvark

Nov 26, 2002
    Is it OK to ask about the status of the cookbook, and its theme, or does that jinx things...

B Griffin likes this.
  5. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Well...the status is that the text is still slowly but surely being written but the images are sort of in limbo still. Waiting on the knives and bowls and some other things to be made, now that they have finally been sorted out and designed for this project. I've been seeking and making cutting boards and cool bowls and plates and cups for this project for about four or five years.

The theme I'm going to hold onto because it's somewhat unique and I want it to stay that way if possible. LOL, one of the things I learned the hard way in almost 20 years of writing professionally, is to never discuss details of projects with other writers, or write those details where they can read them before you're done.

6. Aardvark

Nov 26, 2002
    Be aware that you need a khukuri in there somewhere. Holler if you need one.

If there are things that can be done (pre-reading, volunteer editing, etc), I for one would be happy to help.

B Griffin likes this.
  7. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
  9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :) . As much as I love the Khukuri design, not sure I could fit it into this lol. But I do think it's pretty cool that I am going to get to use the knife I designed years ago, back when I was developing some of the recipes under some interesting circumstances in fact, in the illustrations for them in the cookbook/calendar project. I'm pretty stoked about that.

10. Rufus Magnus

Rufus Magnus Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Interesting to see Protagonist being used in the kitchen ... guess it can wear different hats lol I am liking the model ... and would like to try one ... have seen only one come up on Friday since started following . Best of Luck with your project !!!

B Griffin likes this.
  11. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Well, there haven't been a lot of Orcs or wargs in the shire lately...so I have to use it where I can :D I figure the kitchen makes at least as much sense as bushcrafting with this model... I don't see me EDC-ing downtown any time soon, and I want to enjoy using it since I have it :) And thank you!!!

Rufus Magnus likes this.
  12. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Post-surgery liquid diet.
    [​IMG]

Bmurray, Tristndad and Rufus Magnus like this.
  13. Rufus Magnus

Rufus Magnus Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2019
    ^^^
    Speedy Recovery :thumbsup::)

B Griffin likes this.
  14. Aardvark

Nov 26, 2002
    Gute Besserung.

Please provide your address. I need to know where to ship the rock candy.

15. Tristndad

Tristndad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2020
  16. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Tristndad likes this.
  17. James River

James River Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2019
    [​IMG]

Had a long run in the mountains yesterday. Heavy breakfast this morning.

18. Khanvoy44

Khanvoy44 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Eat your heart out Bob Evans!!!

B Griffin and James River like this.
  19. Aardvark

Nov 26, 2002
    Looks damn fine. Love the skillet.

James River likes this.
  20. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks guys. Jonathan only cut out the last of the uppers last Monday, which means no more possibly deadly infections in my upper jaw now. He's doing the last of the lowers Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to this phase being over with.

Bmurray and Rufus Magnus like this.