Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Just got home from hunting up in Colorado, what beautiful country up there and thin air haha. I got drawn for private land deer and cow elk then I bought an over the counter bear tag. Unfortunately the weather wasn’t in our favor and we had 60% + moon every night but three of us got lucky, very little fresh sign of elk and one bear roaming around but couldn’t catch him out and about.

Since I had a private land tag it was either sex so I held out as long as possible but ended up getting a doe Thursday evening. I gutted and skinned her out with my DEK1.

FclJvlE.jpg

9wZOuv5.jpg

VOjsm61.jpg

Had to bring the Medium Chopper just in case

qlhiX2n.jpg

Also had to throw in a pic of my truck

f2MTakR.jpg

My Cousin and I both filled out tags on opening day. I still have plenty of meat left over from last year vacuum sealed in the freezer so I wanted a nice young Doe to fill the little bit of space that I have open. I ended up with a button buck, took it with the bolt action 44 mag with the SiCo Octane 45 on the end, shot was 173 yards. Deer ran 30 feet and crumbled.
My Cousin said to me in the morning “ let’s go shoot a big buck, oh I hope we see one. I want to shoot once and drop it”. He’s been after a buck for the 4 years that he’s been hunting.
It was his lucky day. Big 6 strolled in, he made his best shot ever, and I mean ever. He hit it at 175 yards with my 44, broadside in the bottom of the neck, and it collapsed where it stood.
It was a 400 yard drag to the truck for both deer and since I’m disabled and he’s even worse I got right to work field dressing them both to make them lighter. It was a bit more than I should’ve done and I’m still paying for it physically, but, the jerky has been worth the pain.
I used the FK2 for both deer. It started out looney tunes, hair splitting sharp. It ended up ever so slightly less so but still shaving sharp- very impressive!
Left it covered in blood and fat, wrapped up in a bloody latex glove, for a day. Slight black spot under the scale but otherwise held up as well as S30V did when I did the same to my CRK Nyala.
The 3V is a very interesting steel. Now if Nathan would just make me an FK2 with a 3.75 inch blade for deer processing id buy 3.

Thank you to CPK for such a fine tool to take into the woods.

Filled both my white tail tags. Didn't bother with pictures as they weren't anything to look at, just happy to have some venison. Did up the doe heart with caul fat, habanero, and coffee/ brown sugar rub. Can't be beat.
Fantastic! Had my first venison heart last month after hearing some folks rave about it. I’ll never let another one go to waste. Marinated ours in balsamic and olive oil, some basic seasoning. A few minutes on the grill and it was competing with the tenderloin. Haven’t run into anyone else who’s even tried it.

Congrats mb, it's cool to take one on your own place I bet!
Thanks brother. It’s hard to describe, but it’s a different level of satisfaction than any public or private land hunting I’ve ever done. Pretty special.

Congrats on your success as well!

On Nov 7th I posted that I missed a big buck while archery hunting so for the gun season opening day, I decided to hike back to that area and sit on a spine overlooking the top of a steep drainage. 15 minutes into sitting at the spot I decided on, I was able to get a great buck, my biggest yet. The trusty .270 didn’t let me down.

00aXihi.jpg

JhWfqFQ.jpg

On Nov 7th I posted that I missed a big buck while archery hunting so for the gun season opening day, I decided to hike back to that area and sit on a spine overlooking the top of a steep drainage. 15 minutes into sitting at the spot I decided on, I was able to get a great buck, my biggest yet. The trusty .270 didn’t let me down.

00aXihi.jpg

JhWfqFQ.jpg

Yeah man, awesome buck!!!

Back