Fishing rods...huh?

Wow, got the rod in today and the build quality is absolutely amazing, can't imagine what thier 1000+ rod look like. I have only felt it in the hand, without the reel but I can already tell it is one of the most well balanced rods I have held out of the box. Can't wait to get the reel on it and realay try it out. I'll let yall know when I do

How do you like that xx wrap?! Ha it's something you need to see in person to appreciate huh? When you get it on the water it's a blast to fish with. Hope you catch a new personal best with it!

I doubt I will brake my 12.50lb pb EVER but you never know. Yea, that wrap is pretty sick, it has a really textured feel to it, pretty rough. It is killin me waiting on the reel. Already ordered the handle knob bearing kit for it from hedgehog too.

Ordered the 9.1 lefty today, I have been fishing out back with a lefty reel for the last 3 days for about an hour each time and finally decided for a pitchin jig worm rod I could do it. So I guess in about a week or less I will have good pics really showing the wrap detail of the rod and reel pics

The transition from right to left wasn't even a issue for me. I wish I would have done it sooner. I can still use a right hand reel but switching hands after a cast is just dumb. Makes more sense to just keep it my hand at all times haha. Can't wait to see the pics

I learned with a righty and it feels fine like that I prefer to use my right hand to do the cast control or drag adjustment and in the rare occasion there's a hit before the switch thumb the spool....If it ain't broke I ain't fixing it lol. But I learned to reel spinning gear lefty....speaking of which I just picked this up. It's pretty sweet for 80 but after a deal, Amazon credit I only paid $25 out of pocket. It's pretty much a better looking supreme xt, the paint has blue flake in it. With the red trim it is pretty cool. Might get an Eva Abu knob for it. Looking for a rod this weekend.
646806c16303b1dd7bdaec79ba36d901.jpg
cf4afe4b9420ef517232004fb96b9f80.jpg

I always find it interesting how folks that own "bass boats" will try to find an inexpensive rod & reel set up. Everytime you take that thing out it costs you $100 at least. No criticism intended about the boat. It was just a comment. The falling it was pretty funny by the way. I keep tossing around the idea of buying a boat..... pontoon, "bass boat", reg size pontoon, small size pontoon, big motor, little motor, aluminum vs fiberglass...... and I never get an satisfactory answer. Wife wants to just cruise around the lake and I would want to mostly fish.... there lies the personal dilemma.

I always find it interesting how folks that own "bass boats" will try to find an inexpensive rod & reel set up. Everytime you take that thing out it costs you $100 at least. No criticism intended about the boat. It was just a comment. The falling it was pretty funny by the way. I keep tossing around the idea of buying a boat..... pontoon, "bass boat", reg size pontoon, small size pontoon, big motor, little motor, aluminum vs fiberglass...... and I never get an satisfactory answer. Wife wants to just cruise around the lake and I would want to mostly fish.... there lies the personal dilemma.

Hahaha....that is my EXCAT delima as well with the boat decision and I imagine the cost of the thing is why they are trying to find cheap rods and reels...lol

Btw, you COULD have it both ways. Buy a pontoon and set it up for bass fishing. They are SOOOO much smoother on the water. I am a welder fab guy and plan to do some fabing with alum to get it the way I want it

Last edited:
20160425_195929_zps3pbszhkj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hmmm...where to start...
The reel is pretty freaking awesome, SUPER smooth. Cast great, the light stuff is where it really shines. It is taking a bit of learning curve as this is my first diawa and mag force reel.
Now onto the rod..
It is definitely lively. Really seems like it is a high strung kid with adha is the best way I know how to put it...lol
VERY sensitive, I fished with it for about half an hour, caught a 2 lber from the pond. It does have a lot of backbone bone. It was actually worrying me at first because it is such a strong rod but then rigged up a wacky worm and was getting 75ft cast with it, that is the crazy thing about this rod. I really thought when I was throwing a 1oz jig with a trailer it would not even think about a wacky but it worked so I was relieved. I was beginning to think I should have gotten the emtf.
It also is taking a learning curve because of the length and the backbone, again, not used to this kinda rod. The sensitivity is absolutely there. With the jig, I could feel every little bump and tick, I could totally see being able to detect the tiniest bite with it. The only weired thing is it makes a really funny noise when you catch a bass on 50lb pp slick 8 line, almost like a speaking sound from the line on the eyelets but I think that may just be due to the fact of new line.

Would I say this is worth 600.00, no, the reel is worth the 250.00 to me, but honestly, the rod is great, but not worth 300.00. I would say there is not a big enough difference in a 120-175.00 rod and this one. Granted, I have only fished with it a bit but from what I can tell I could catch just as many with a cheaper one. I think you get better parts on the more expensive one but sensitivity is not worth the extra 150.00, just my initial thought

I think that is about all I can come up with for now

Last edited:
Glad you like the combo so far! After you use it a bit more only use that one if you can...then go back to the old one after a few days on the water and you will just how much of a difference there is. I too was like you once long ago lol. The more time you have with it the more little things you will notice.
The sound of that braid screaming through the guides is totally normal. Once the line gets broke in it would be so raspy.
Sure is a nice looking combo you have there! Now go get another 10lber so I can hear how it manhandled the sow :0

Yea, I'm sure the more I use it for better it will be. I have been using braid for the last 10 years and I know the normal kinda screaming sounds but this is one I have never heard. I'll see if I can get a video or some of it. I imagine it just has something to do with the eyelets material reading differently with the braid since these are a different guide than I am use to.

It could be a mix of that and the fact that the blank construction is thinner walled and completely different material than your other rods too.

The more I use the rod the more I am warming up to it. There was just such a big difference factor it is taking a bit to learn the ins and outs of it

20160425_195929_zps3pbszhkj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hmmm...where to start...
The reel is pretty freaking awesome, SUPER smooth. Cast great, the light stuff is where it really shines. It is taking a bit of learning curve as this is my first diawa and mag force reel.
Now onto the rod..
It is definitely lively. Really seems like it is a high strung kid with adha is the best way I know how to put it...lol
VERY sensitive, I fished with it for about half an hour, caught a 2 lber from the pond. It does have a lot of backbone bone. It was actually worrying me at first because it is such a strong rod but then rigged up a wacky worm and was getting 75ft cast with it, that is the crazy thing about this rod. I really thought when I was throwing a 1oz jig with a trailer it would not even think about a wacky but it worked so I was relieved. I was beginning to think I should have gotten the emtf.
It also is taking a learning curve because of the length and the backbone, again, not used to this kinda rod. The sensitivity is absolutely there. With the jig, I could feel every little bump and tick, I could totally see being able to detect the tiniest bite with it. The only weired thing is it makes a really funny noise when you catch a bass on 50lb pp slick 8 line, almost like a speaking sound from the line on the eyelets but I think that may just be due to the fact of new line.

Would I say this is worth 600.00, no, the reel is worth the 250.00 to me, but honestly, the rod is great, but not worth 300.00. I would say there is not a big enough difference in a 120-175.00 rod and this one. Granted, I have only fished with it a bit but from what I can tell I could catch just as many with a cheaper one. I think you get better parts on the more expensive one but sensitivity is not worth the extra 150.00, just my initial thought

I think that is about all I can come up with for now

That's exactly how I felt about dobyns. I see its growing on you, I think you'll be happy in the end though.....I can't see the pics on my phone, I'll check em tomorrow can't wait to see this combo.

Back