GEC 39 Old Sheffield Jack

The 39 is really a great pattern, to me that little curve, slight swell at the end and being slightly larger than a 15 makes it just a little bit better than a 15. Can't wait to see what they do with it in the future, would love to see a 2 blade with sheepsfoot main. Love the length of the spear and absolutely no issue with pen blocking nail nick, thumbnail falls naturally to forward part of long pull.

IMG_0267.jpegIMG_0268.jpegIMG_0271.jpegIMG_0275.jpeg

2yLrqoL.jpg

Another Pioneer bone arrived yesterday. Really like this one, the bone is very uneven, lots of texture, has a full length crack on pile side. Pretty much everything GEC Pioneer bone or Primitive bone should be. You know you are a real knife nut when you are happy about cracked bone. 😁

IMG_0281.jpegIMG_0284.jpegIMG_0286.jpeg

The 39 is really a great pattern, to me that little curve, slight swell at the end and being slightly larger than a 15 makes it just a little bit better than a 15. Can't wait to see what they do with it in the future, would love to see a 2 blade with sheepsfoot main. Love the length of the spear and absolutely no issue with pen blocking nail nick, thumbnail falls naturally to forward part of long pull.

View attachment 2030398View attachment 2030399View attachment 2030400View attachment 2030401
Or a Lambfoot!!

I am pretty pleased with the Pioneer Bone that I received. LOTS of color and surprisingly, a fair bit of polish - makes it a little tricky to photograph.

The pulls aren't as stout as the Bunny Knife but it has good action nonetheless and will only improve with use. As I expected and was hoping for, the thicker bone makes it feel more substantial in hand, which is something I appreciate in a smaller knife. I think I will drop this one in the pocket for today - first knife of 2023.

KOPvg0c.jpg

6WnSKMz.jpg

I am pretty pleased with the Pioneer Bone that I received. LOTS of color and surprisingly, a fair bit of polish - makes it a little tricky to photograph.

The pulls aren't as stout as the Bunny Knife but it has good action nonetheless and will only improve with use. As I expected and was hoping for, the thicker bone makes it feel more substantial in hand, which is something I appreciate in a smaller knife. I think I will drop this one in the pocket for today - first knife of 2023.

KOPvg0c.jpg

6WnSKMz.jpg

Very nice and unique !

There are no makers that I'm aware of who produce an entire run of a bone handled knife where every single knife is consistently colored.
The Rough Rider "A Stroke of Luck" series were pretty consistent across the patterns. I had, but gave away, a trapper pattern of the same series. The covers on the trapper matched those of the stockman and canoe perfectly.
I verified with a red hot pin the covers are bone, not plastic.

I don't know why, but the trapper pattern never called out to me like the Moose (same Clip/Spey blade combination on a lot of them) does.
View attachment 2035181View attachment 2035182
IMHO, Case's Amber Jigged Bone is pretty consistent, too. I only have one; the canoe with CV blades. However, in the 'Case Passaround GAW' thread, there was a Case Amber Jigged Bone canoe and large stockman. In the photos, the coloration of the two matched, and, it looked like they matched mine.
The covers on my canoe match side to side, as well.
View attachment 2035192View attachment 2035193

Last edited:

KOPvg0c.jpg

6WnSKMz.jpg
That pioneer bone is so good looking 👍👍

Back