GEC Huckleberry Boy's Knife

I don't believe they were ever meant to be a child's knife. "Boy's Knife" is just a name borrowed from an old catalog. As for the tight springs in the knife,40 years from now,the GEC will still have a good snap when closed,while other knives won"t have any snap. In my opinion.

Yes, I tend to agree with this.

Looks a very nice knife in all the variants I've seen here, more like a compact pocket-knife/Gent's knife really. If money weren't so scarce at this end of the year I'd be after one of those Glowing Handles, first rate niche:thumbup::D

Thanks, Will

Mine arrived in the mail today. It's going into a boy's stocking from Santa, but I'll tell you a bit about it before I set it away for a few days.

The jigged bone handles are incredible. The fit and finish is impeccable. The action is super-smooth and includes a solid half-stock. My only grievance, to make this a functional tool for a young boy, Great Eastern should have softened the action or weakened the spring. It's not the stiffest spring ever, and it's not too stiff to be uncomfortable for a Dad or Grandad, but there's no way a small boy will be able to manage without assistance.

The spring is stronger than a Queen S&M Heritage, but not as strong as a File & Wire. It's quite a bit stronger than a typical Case or Old Timer. If that makes sense.

Odd thing is, I actually have a couple old Imperial Boys knives, the kind with the metal handles and bail with chain and suspender button loop. These are a slightly smaller (3") knife with single spear blade that sits in the frame just the same as the GEC knife. The blade pull is just about the same as the GEC, stiff but not unmanageable with a proper half stop, and still strong as it was when made.

Maybe its not the knife. Maybe boys today should be opening more pocket knives and fewer Happy Meals .

Finally had a chance to take some pics. I really like these knives. My only other barlows are from Queen and I was expecting a thicker/wider knife.
IMG_3750.jpg

I must have one of these ebony Huckleberrys. I have not lusted after a knife like this in some time. I may have to start dropping birthday hints to my wife...

Odd thing is, I actually have a couple old Imperial Boys knives, the kind with the metal handles and bail with chain and suspender button loop. These are a slightly smaller (3") knife with single spear blade that sits in the frame just the same as the GEC knife. The blade pull is just about the same as the GEC, stiff but not unmanageable with a proper half stop, and still strong as it was when made.

Maybe its not the knife. Maybe boys today should be opening more pocket knives and fewer Happy Meals .

I suppose I was comparing the Boys Knife to the knives I had as a boy, like Imperial Barlows and Old Timers.
My own little boy is six years old, and rather than a pinch or cut should he have an accident with the knife folding, this Great Eastern would be more of a guillotine. :)

So the knife is put away until he's a bit older, maybe ten or twelve like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer were.

I'd sure like one of those Barlows for myself too. ;)

I had to order a single blade in ebony. I haven't fallen in love with a knife for quite some time but this knife just sings to me

Does the nifebrite acrylic covers need to be charged in order for it to glow in dark? I was wondering if it similar to lume in watches.

Does the nifebrite acrylic covers need to be charged in order for it to glow in dark? I was wondering if it similar to lume in watches.

Of course they do, they aren't tritium. The handle material is pretty much the same as whats been used in any glow in the dark kids toy made in the past 50 or so years. Its a phosphor impregnated plastic that is activated by exposure to a visible light source.

Finally had a chance to take some pics. I really like these knives. My only other barlows are from Queen and I was expecting a thicker/wider knife.
IMG_3750.jpg

Hi,

I don't have the Barlow, just a ebony Jack, but I do agree about the unexpected sleekness and great balanced between brawn and gracefulness. The only other GEC I own is a #25 Barlow. A really beefy little pug of a knife that seems to lack a bit of the gracefulness I was expecting from it.

I think I screwed up though. I should have ordered both the Jack and Barlow. But the early photos of the Barlow left me a bit cold. But now you guys are posting your knives, I was sadly mistaken about the Barlow. It is a beauty in it's own right. I'm going to need to get one of those too I guess.

Dale

Yep, they do need to be charged. I'm not sure what GEC is using, but I can reasonably say isn't Seiko Lumibrite ;) Most likely a zinc sulphide type rather than a strontium aluminate type. Holds a charge for awhile, but I haven't done the overnight test yet.

I brought my two blade jack to our Scout meeting last night and showed the boys who are knife nuts, I didn't think I was going to get it back :D

What a great knife!

Dear friends, can you tell me what is the lenght of the smaller blade?
Thanks a lot.

Dear friends, can you tell me what is the lenght of the smaller blade?
Thanks a lot.

Welcome!

The pen blade is 2 1/8" (5 cm) from measuring from the tallest point of the rounded bolster.

Hope this helps.

~ P.

Another Boy's knife with Patina. Nice pair Mike!!
That #15 pattern, in its various forms, is going to be in a lot of pockets in 2013 - you watch!!

Left front pocket, back pocket and cargo pocket. Right front pocket, back pocket and cargo pocket.

:D

Any news from GEC when the new barehead spear point jacks will be out?

I'm very pleased with my ebony,single clip blade, barehead. My first GEC and it's a keeper:thumbup:

Here's my barehead Boys Knife with clip blade and ebony covers alongside a Tom's Choice barlow with clip blade and ebony covers. I personally like the barehead version of the Boys Knife over the capped version - makes for a nice long ebony slab.

gectidioutebktcebonycov.jpg

gectidioutebktcebonycov.jpg

Hi,

I like your bare-head Jack. It gives it a longer and more slender look than my capped Jack version. The lines of these models are just so right, they just flat out look incredible no matter what.

Dale

Thanks Dale. I also like the fact that these Boys Knives have no shields.

I got rather unlucky with this knife I'm afraid. GEC's UK dealer had the red-bone version, which when it arrived was an absolute beauty, except for the fact that I was unable to open the main blade without first opening the pen. It wasn't that the pull sat low, it was completely covered by the pen blade, the kick on the main blade clearly having been overground.

Since Charlie was online, I dropped him a PM for advice, and he was extremely helpful (and his knowledge quite fascinating). His educated hypothesis was that a loose filing or 'crumb' had fooled the cutler into grinding a bit too much off the kick, then when the 'crumb' was blown out the blade sank too low (as you can see on the third and fourth pic, the blade sits low in the frame). It seems that this knife was a one-off.

With the nail-nick of the pen close to the frame, I didn't think enough could be ground off the kick of this blade to expose the pull on the main blade. I very reluctantly returned it to the UK dealer, who agreed about the kick. Unfortunately though, there's no chance of a replacement, for the moment at least, so I've had to exchange it for another knife.

Just thought you folks might like to see the pics. Many thanks again for your help and advice Charlie :thumbup:

Back