GEC Huckleberry Boy's Knife

I got rather unlucky with this knife I'm afraid.

Drat, I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the illustrative pictures. Knives like this make me wonder how fast some of the runs are zooping through the factory on a given day; in the various steps after the kick was ground, how did no one notice this knife was not open-able?

Issues are of course compounded when the customer is overseas. How disappointing!

~ P.

Well, that is a shame Jack, because it does have very attractive bone handles.

Is it not possible for the dealer to return it to GEC for a replacement main blade?

Drat, I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the illustrative pictures. Knives like this make me wonder how fast some of the runs are zooping through the factory on a given day; in the various steps after the kick was ground, how did no one notice this knife was not open-able?

Issues are of course compounded when the customer is overseas. How disappointing!

~ P.

Thanks P. I have wondered how nobody picked up on the fault. On the bright side, the blades were sharp and well ground! :)

Jack Black said:

I got rather unlucky with this knife I'm afraid. GEC's UK dealer had the red-bone version, which when it arrived was an absolute beauty, except for the fact that I was unable to open the main blade without first opening the pen. It wasn't that the pull sat low, it was completely covered by the pen blade, the kick on the main blade clearly having been overground.

Did you try to push down on the pen blade a bit in order to slide your thumb nail into the main blades nick? Works in most all cases.

I can understand why you sent it back, Jack, but I wonder... could the pen blade's kick have been filed down a little, to allow access to the main, while still keeping the pen's nick above the frame?

Well, that is a shame Jack, because it does have very attractive bone handles.

Is it not possible for the dealer to return it to GEC for a replacement main blade?

Sorry, missed your comment before Doug. Yes, it's a nice-looking knife for sure. Probably not ecconomically viable from their point of view. More reason to check knives being sent internationally before shipping them.

Maybe it's possible, to make an "EZ Open" version out of it ?

Perhaps, but not by me, and it'd be a very different knife.

Did you try to push down on the pen blade a bit in order to slide your thumb nail into the main blades nick? Works in most all cases.

I did try that Ed, I read this whole thread looking for tips.

I can understand why you sent it back, Jack, but I wonder... could the pen blade's kick have been filed down a little, to allow access to the main, while still keeping the pen's nick above the frame?

I don't think there's enough space for that, neither does the dealer. I have a Kabar Peanut that Pete very kindly sent me a while back, the original owner filed down the kick on the larger blade only to find that he then had to file down the kick on the pen to stop the pen blade blocking the nick on the larger blade. This means that the nick is only barely acceessible. If the kick was ground down on the pen of this knife it'd have to be almost under the covers to expose the pull, and I really don't want that. I think it's worth pointing out that, as with many other knives, GEC knives cost about twice as much here as they do in the States. It's disappointing to get a new knife and then having to think about filing down kicks, and what have you, to compensate for errors made in its manufacture.

Sorry, missed your comment before Doug. Yes, it's a nice-looking knife for sure. Probably not ecconomically viable from their point of view. More reason to check knives being sent internationally before shipping them.

Seems to me the burden of cost should fall to the manufacturer since they released a defective product.

A GEC that actually came with sharp blades and it has a defect. It is always the opposite for me.

Thanks P. I have wondered how nobody picked up on the fault. On the bright side, the blades were sharp and well ground! :)

My lovely #15 arrived in the mail today. It's a perfect size and has a good, solid heft to it for a 3.5" knife. Snap is a nice 7 out of 10. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a great relationship...

151ii.jpg

152bm.jpg

153sy.jpg

I don't think there's enough space for that, neither does the dealer. I have a Kabar Peanut that Pete very kindly sent me a while back, the original owner filed down the kick on the larger blade only to find that he then had to file down the kick on the pen to stop the pen blade blocking the nick on the larger blade. This means that the nick is only barely acceessible. If the kick was ground down on the pen of this knife it'd have to be almost under the covers to expose the pull, and I really don't want that. I think it's worth pointing out that, as with many other knives, GEC knives cost about twice as much here as they do in the States. It's disappointing to get a new knife and then having to think about filing down kicks, and what have you, to compensate for errors made in its manufacture.
Ahh, I see. Yeah, in that case, best to send it back. Bummer about that one. Sorry, mate.

If I could get the shadow pattern in a single blade configuration, that would be enough to bring me back in the fold of GEC owners.

Thanks to a tip from Blaine in a PM, I have placed an order, and will soon be returned to the GEC owners group.

Can someone tell me from which steel are made backsprings on the hucklebery model? SS or carbon? I guess that the liners are ss....

Interesting, production schedule says ebony and jigged bone for covers on the new run of Boy's Knives
But this in production picture they posted looks like some other kind of wood.
GEDC0118.JPG

Back