Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

ve4k62y.jpg

Just hanging out with my lambsfoot.

Wonderful read Greg, thank you for the link to it. I have tasked myself with reading the entire Guardians of the Lambfoot thread and eventually would have read this, but, I am glad to have read it now. I can't help but wonder how soon regular trade between England and the newly minted US of A started after the revolution and how much this may have affected specific items used on this side of the Atlantic? Additionally, there was a thing called the War of 1812 and its aftermath that may also have deterred the knife trade here?

I think it's a great read HC, I think I've read it through at least 3 times now :) Interesting thought. My brain is rather fatigued today, but off-hand, from what I recall reading, I'm not sure that trade was disrupted for very long after the Revolution. The Revolution was extremely popular in Sheffield, so much so that local newspaper editors were imprisoned, and supportive crowds charged by the local cavalry, sabres drawn. This song to Tom Paine was written by the cutler's favourite poet, Joseph Mather, and sung on innumerable occasions.

I think that trade was only really disrupted by the price hikes caused by the McKinley tariffs of 1890.

Jack Black Jack Black - Sorry you had to spend your time in such a way. Your comments and edited post #1 couldn’t be any clearer. Here’s to your derailed week getting back on track.

glennbad glennbad superb looking covers on your Lambsfoot.

Good Morning Guardians.
BB66A14E-934A-44D9-B8D6-B2DBC1B920C9_zps9tukq6xh.jpeg

Thank you Harvey, that's a mouth-watering photo :) :thumbsup:

Back on the Lambsfoot track! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've got my Hartshead in my pocket, and it's time to get a patina going. I rarely bother to "force" a patina these days, but will use a new knife to cut some food, just to get things started. I'm really looking forward to seeing if the steel bolsters take on a similar patina. Maybe some mustard will fall on them today at lunch, accidentally on purpose...;)
Has anyone seen signs of patina forming on Barlow Bolsters (Lambsfoot Barlows, of course!)?

I took this picture of Li'l Sambar, who was getting jealous of HB's pocket time. :D
Iq48cmg.jpg

The bolsters and liners are made from exactly the same steel as the blade Rachel, so they should patina in just the same way :)

I haven't had occasion to use it yet Jack but we're going for Chinese this afternoon and I'll take it and use it to cut the noodles and whatever else I can use it on.
Bon appetit Ed :) :thumbsup:

My sincere apologies Jack. I feel this is somewhat directed at myself, and justifiably so. Some of my posts certainly drift way to far off from the topic of lambsfoot knives, so I'll certainly rein myself in from now on.
Again, my apologies to yourself and everyone else for infringing the rules.

I've been under a car for most of the day (and will be again in a minute) but this little chap is being of some assistance.
xEmAe81.jpg

It wasn't David :thumbsup: That said, I think we could perhaps all assess how we post here, me included :thumbsup:

That's a fine pic :) Hopefully we'll get a few in Sheffield tomorrow :thumbsup:

I used my lamb foot and a few simple tools to build these driftwood chairs this weekend!

UsTf8X1.jpg

9rumr5F.jpg

OupoV4z.jpg

Not really. :rolleyes:

You had me going for a minute there Barry! :D What an incredible item of furniture, and a great pic of your Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

I had actually meant to carry some stag today, but as it was, I ended up with Rosewood in my pocket :rolleyes:

PrmTktZ.jpg

I'll be carrying that one again tomorrow, along with some stag and Damascus :thumbsup:

2u2e70g.jpg

As for naming the knife, it pretty much named itself. Lambsfoot Barlow practically begs to be named "LamBar Jack" (maybe LBJ for short ;)).

He's a LamBar Jack, and he's okay!

Say, GT and r8shell, do you know what LamBar Jack said when he fell from the tree?

"Look out Barlooooooow!" :D

I don't have any puns about mine, but I bet Rosewood.

lfwgrqSh.jpg

Back on the Lambsfoot track! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've got my Hartshead in my pocket, and it's time to get a patina going. I rarely bother to "force" a patina these days, but will use a new knife to cut some food, just to get things started. I'm really looking forward to seeing if the steel bolsters take on a similar patina. Maybe some mustard will fall on them today at lunch, accidentally on purpose...;)
Has anyone seen signs of patina forming on Barlow Bolsters (Lambsfoot Barlows, of course!)?

I took this picture of Li'l Sambar, who was getting jealous of HB's pocket time. :D
Iq48cmg.jpg

I am REALLY loving the stag on this one!

What a unique knife your rosewood HHB is, Dwight!
Thank you GT. I am very fortunate to have it.

Well, I missed out on Charlie's great Lambsfoot SFO. What's a guy to do? I went out and found this Venture online. It was quite the jalopy, broken covers, sprung spring, etc. I put some nice NOS bone on it, and it's quite serviceable now.

View attachment 1157808
Beautiful jigged bone and wonderful job Glenn as always. :)

ve4k62y.jpg

With that grouping Vince, I wouldn't worry about anyone pilfering the Harsthead;):D

I think it's a great read HC, I think I've read it through at least 3 times now :) Interesting thought. My brain is rather fatigued today, but off-hand, from what I recall reading, I'm not sure that trade was disrupted for very long after the Revolution. The Revolution was extremely popular in Sheffield, so much so that local newspaper editors were imprisoned, and supportive crowds charged by the local cavalry, sabres drawn. This song to Tom Paine was written by the cutler's favourite poet, Joseph Mather, and sung on innumerable occasions.

I think that trade was only really disrupted by the price hikes caused by the McKinley tariffs of 1890.

Thank you Harvey, that's a mouth-watering photo :) :thumbsup:

The bolsters and liners are made from exactly the same steel as the blade Rachel, so they should patina in just the same way :)

Bon appetit Ed :) :thumbsup:

It wasn't David :thumbsup: That said, I think we could perhaps all assess how we post here, me included :thumbsup:

That's a fine pic :) Hopefully we'll get a few in Sheffield tomorrow :thumbsup:

You had me going for a minute there Barry! :D What an incredible item of furniture, and a great pic of your Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

I had actually meant to carry some stag today, but as it was, I ended up with Rosewood in my pocket :rolleyes:

PrmTktZ.jpg

I'll be carrying that one again tomorrow, along with some stag and Damascus :thumbsup:

2u2e70g.jpg

Well, certainly no step down from Stag with the Rosewood Jack;):):cool::thumbsup:

That is so cool! I have seen a few old knives with "iron" bolsters that take some patina, rather than yellowing like white brass "nickel silver" does. I was never sure if by iron, they meant some kind of steel, and if it was the same kind used for the blade. At any rate, I think thissun will age beautifully!
Say, GT and r8shell, do you know what LamBar Jack said when he fell from the tree?

:D:thumbsup:
I am REALLY loving the stag on this one!
Thanks! I know a lot of folks like popcorn, but I'm partial to smoother, groovy stag.

Aye I had a go at forging once years ago, at an agricultural show I think, when I was a lot stronger than what I am now. I was utterly beat after about 3 minutes :(:D
It was a lot harder to move that metal than I thought it would be, that's for sure.
Now to the important stuff, meat pies, I think my only chance to get some here is to make them myself. Do you happen to know where to find a trusted meat pie recipe. I know, Google, but I don't know enough to know, If ya know what I mean.
Btw, my trade offer for pallets is still good. ;):D

Stately old school Barlow, FBC! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, GT. As you could probably tell, that rosewood HHB has been my go to since it arrived. Something about the HHB just screams to be worked hard.

@Cambertree
Sorry for the late reply.
It took me awhile to find that Minor Threat album. The straight edge relation to that black sheep makes sense, Minor Threat was maybe the first straight edge punk bands to come on the scene. Back in the day ( around here ) the straight edge punks put a "X" on the back of each hand.
48227472741_a4d9fda06d_h.jpg

Have a good week Guardians!

Last edited:
ve4k62y.jpg

Cool pic of a fine hat, cutlery and attire.

lfwgrqSh.jpg
Great pic and very clever post. :cool:

Hang in there Jack. Sorry for your bad start today. :(

IMG_3712.jpeg

Thanks, Jack. These Barlows really are superb. I like showing mine off.

:) :thumbsup:

lfwgrqSh.jpg

Very good Greg! :D And a great pic too :) :thumbsup:

Well, certainly no step down from Stag with the Rosewood Jack;):):cool::thumbsup:

Thanks Paul :) I had meant to take the stag Barlow to show Barber Brian. It was only when I pulled the Rosewood out of its slip, and he said, "Oh, you've shown me that one!" that I realised! :D :thumbsup:

That is so cool! I have seen a few old knives with "iron" bolsters that take some patina, rather than yellowing like white brass "nickel silver" does. I was never sure if by iron, they meant some kind of steel, and if it was the same kind used for the blade. At any rate, I think thissun will age beautifully!

:D:thumbsup:

Thanks! I know a lot of folks like popcorn, but I'm partial to smoother, groovy stag.

Really old knives would have had iron bolsters Rachel, and a few would have had iron blades too o_O I think iron has generally meant steel though, in fact the gaffer at Wright's has referred to the knife as 'All Iron' a few times. GEC have used steel bolsters, but I think it has had a slightly lower carbon content than the steel used for the blades, if I remember correctly. In this case though, the steel is the same, it just isn't heat-treated in the way that the blade and spring are :thumbsup:

Good day, folks.

My apologies, Jack, for the frustrations you've endured at the start of your week. To me, this thread is for the Lambsfoot enthusiasts; to show off our collections, discuss the histories, and opine on the many merits of such a versatile design. Though I attempt my due diligence in keeping up with the pace of things here, it does become less interesting when one has to sift through a lot of non-Lambsfoot related content. I am active in many areas of this forum. After all, I am a knife enthusiast first and foremost, as well as an ardent Lambsfoot fan. I come here to enjoy the wonderful Lambsfoot content and connect with my fellow collectors.

I understand that my angst is my own and though I am happy that Jack has gotten us back on track, it saddens me that he found it necessary to do so. I think that traditional cutlery as a whole is only becoming more and more popular, which is a good thing in general but it brings a lot of less than savory side effects with it. Mark has touched on some of that and I share in his frustration.

That all said, like with what I try and tell anybody regarding any divisive topic, find the good in it and share in the happiness it brings you. In this particular case, Lambsfoot knives bring me a lot of happiness and they go particularly good with other things that make me happy, like coffee. :D

muDxqF0.jpg

My newest addition to the herd :D @waynorth - Thank you, Charlie :cool:

sL00V5T.jpg

Congratulations OG, I can't believe how glossy that ebony is :) Great pic :thumbsup:

Good day, folks.

My apologies, Jack, for the frustrations you've endured at the start of your week. To me, this thread is for the Lambsfoot enthusiasts; to show off our collections, discuss the histories, and opine on the many merits of such a versatile design. Though I attempt my due diligence in keeping up with the pace of things here, it does become less interesting when one has to sift through a lot of non-Lambsfoot related content. I am active in many areas of this forum. After all, I am a knife enthusiast first and foremost, as well as an ardent Lambsfoot fan. I come here to enjoy the wonderful Lambsfoot content and connect with my fellow collectors.

I understand that my angst is my own and though I am happy that Jack has gotten us back on track, it saddens me that he found it necessary to do so. I think that traditional cutlery as a whole is only becoming more and more popular, which is a good thing in general but it brings a lot of less than savory side effects with it. Mark has touched on some of that and I share in his frustration.

That all said, like with what I try and tell anybody regarding any divisive topic, find the good in it and share in the happiness it brings you. In this particular case, Lambsfoot knives bring me a lot of happiness and they go particularly good with other things that make me happy, like coffee. :D

muDxqF0.jpg

Thank you Dylan, some wise words there my friend, and a fantastic pic too :) :thumbsup:

Back