Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Do you ever have any shrinkage problems in the cold?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :D

Best wishes for your kid on the next round, John! When and where does that happen?
Thanks, GT. It'll be mid January.

You certainly come up with some very non-traditional Christmas ornaments, John!
Yes, my tree is full of Seahawks Football, Sci-Fi, and Super Heroes.
Oh ya, my wife has a few traditional ornaments on there too. I'm sure she's proud. :D

Sad to hear about Sköll's SAD, but glad to hear that Sköll is out for a stroll!
Lol... :D:thumbsup:

Probably an impossible dream, but
This is my quest
To follow those stars
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

(Cervantes statue in Toledo:
3-3-cervantes-fullstatue-jpg.1252009
Nice pic. My wife is reading Don Quixote right now, and tells me I need to read it too. I have to find a print version, though--she's using a Kindle or Nook, I think.
Great knife Choice, Vince!
And thanks for the birthday wishes. :) (I received a birthday email from the ophthalmologist, too. How do you all know/remember birthdates??)
If you check the "Members" section, there is a "Today's Birthdays" list. I just happened to see your cowboy hat and moustache there!

Your horn lambsfoot is looking well, Gary! Do you ever have any shrinkage problems in the cold, dry weather?
It might have shrunk some, Gary. The horn is not quite flush with the liners, but I'm not sure whether it was or wasn't before I just checked. I do get some shrinkage in the winter with some of my stag handled knives. Not all of them though, which is interesting. Must have to do with what condition the stag was in when it was hafted, it's density and maybe also the weather. Anyway, the stag returns to normal when the humidity is higher.
It's 8 degrees outside right now and the inside humidity is 26%. I might need to crank up the humidifier!

Strategic placement. :D
I'm glad you survived and had a good time.

Your Harthead is ACES. :cool::thumbsup:

I'm glad it went well and you rewarded yourself with a tasty treat. Hopefully you can relax now and enjoy the holidays. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks a lot pal :) I still have a fair bit to do (worse luck), but for the moment I'm relaxing with some of the Horehound Candy Stuart @Duckdog sent me recently, really interesting flavour :) :thumbsup:

P5f7FkO.jpg

Good Morning Guardians.
Just received this ornament from a coworker. :cool:

That's cool John :D :thumbsup:

Okay GT... I'm throwing Skoll in my pocket right now and will make sure he gets some sunlight. Thanks for the reminder. :cool::thumbsup:

Get chasing that sun Skoll! :D :) :thumbsup:

Interesting pic Kevin, hope you're doing OK buddy :thumbsup: My mate gave me a book last night ;) :thumbsup:

20mA9XL.jpg

Probably an impossible dream, but
This is my quest
To follow those stars
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

View attachment 1252009

Thanks, Jack. :) Counting candles isn't so bad if you take advantage of our place value numeration system. Just declare that red candles represent decades, and white candles represent single years, and then I need only 6 reds and 8 whites!

Mathematically speaking, 6 is a perfect number.
I didn't recall that fact about that film location, but, upon reading your post, I recognized that you (or someone else) has mentioned it on BF before; very cool! (I wonder if The Princess Bride counts as a Christmas movie?)

Did I mention that my lambsfoot for this week is my Ashley's Choice that I named Cracker Jack?
View attachment 1252012

Union Jack bringing more season's greetings:
View attachment 1252014

- GT

Love that statue GT, I've never been to Toledo :D :thumbsup:

A terracotta tile on my kitchen wall :)

ZraZdDL.jpg

I'm counting CANDIES at the moment Gary ;) :D :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure that would have been me who mentioned the film before! :D I know that part of the English Peak District extremely well, and can name all the locations! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Fantastic photos my friend :) :thumbsup:

Nice pic. My wife is reading Don Quixote right now, and tells me I need to read it too. I have to find a print version, though--she's using a Kindle or Nook, I think.

If you check the "Members" section, there is a "Today's Birthdays" list. I just happened to see your cowboy hat and moustache there!

I loved reading it as a kid Vince, but it was only a children's version. It is a book I have always meant to read. I did have a beautiful antique version in Spanish, but it was stolen many years ago unfortunately :(

It might have shrunk some, Gary. The horn is not quite flush with the liners, but I'm not sure whether it was or wasn't before I just checked. I do get some shrinkage in the winter with some of my stag handled knives. Not all of them though, which is interesting. Must have to do with what condition the stag was in when it was hafted, it's density and maybe also the weather. Anyway, the stag returns to normal when the humidity is higher.
It's 8 degrees outside right now and the inside humidity is 26%. I might need to crank up the humidifier!

There's a whole section on horn in the thread index Gary. None of mine has shrunk, but some members have had problems due to the climate. Also with warping/peeling. I left a couple of knives out in the sun, and the horn peeled, but then went back to its previous state. I think it's best if the horn can be left to 'season' for many years before being used, it's a difficult material for slipjoints, and I can understand why many makers won't touch it :thumbsup:

its-alive.jpg

A whole hearted thanks to all who have wished me well and to those who put me in their prayers. As a Grumpy Old Dude, as Gary Peregrin Peregrin called me:), it means a lot. I don't have my wits fully about me (medicine) so can't reply to every one on a case-by-case basis. Please don't take offense if you don't get a personal reply.

To further strengthen my Sunny Disposition, here is a "Big-un" with Buffalo Horn covers basking in the sunshine.

EmjXEEk.jpg

Skoll getting some much needed Sun...

Notice the hole in the wood about half way along the back spring, I think Skoll spent some time next to Lucy. ;)

Yikes! :eek: She must have sneaked out! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

4697513B00000578-0-image-a-23_1511316562600.jpg

A whole hearted thanks to all who have wished me well and to those who put me in their prayers. As a Grumpy Old Dude, as Gary Peregrin Peregrin called me:), it means a lot. I don't have my wits fully about me (medicine) so can't reply to every one on a case-by-case basis. Please don't take offense if you don't get a personal reply.

To further strengthen my Sunny Disposition, here is a "Big-un" with Buffalo Horn covers basking in the sunshine.

EmjXEEk.jpg

We're here for you Ed :thumbsup:

EmjXEEk.jpg
Ed, I’m sorry to hear this. Praying and wishing for you the best outcome.

Good Morning Guardians.

Working through PB and internet issues.

Linus just arrived. Yay!
FBC4DED4-FDC3-4D1C-935B-80F543BD3DA0.jpeg

I have a CPAP machine I need to start using again
I have been using my CPAP machine for over 6 years now. I became so used to it that I am not able to even take a short nap without it.
My wife is grateful too because she does not have to put up with my loud snoring :)
Lovely shot, Dan! I love seeing cardinals with snow, look forward to seeing that here.
Hi Dennis, just the other day I saw a cardinal on the snow through some of the trees in the forest ... so beautiful !
I wish I had a camera with a good zoom lens. I will definitely try to get a pic of one :thumbsup:

Hope you can get out soon Dennis :)
Me too, my friend!
Cool photo my friend :) :thumbsup:
Thank you, sir!
Hope everyone has a good Friday, the weekend is nearly here :) :thumbsup:

0TOaUx0.jpg
Your Harthead is ACES. :cool::thumbsup:
Cool photo, Jack! John beat me to the comment I was going to make, so I'll just say you have great photos "in spades "!:cool::confused:
I appreciate your compliments and replies, Dennis, to me and so many others. :) I'm always amazed that you can fit so many quotes into a single post without having to split it!
I haven't thought about Andes mints in years; now I want some!
Keep the puns coming. ;)
Thanks for the kind words, Gary! I can destroy a bag of those mints pretty quickly, I like to put a few in the freezer and eat them frozen as well!:oops:.. it's a sickness!:D
Cracker Jack this week:
cj-pile-patina-leafcart-jpg.1251954

Another pre-owned Holiday Photo with Union Jack:
uj-realtree-jpg.1251956

There's always room for Cracker Jack:
cj-pile-closed-rock-jpg.1251967

Union Jack in a holiday mood:
uj-reindeer-jpg.1251966
Love your Jack-Jack combo, Gary!:):thumbsup:
I survived my trip to town relatively unscathed ;) Stopped off for a coffee and a blueberry croissant :)

sV21ipl.jpg
That croissant looks awsome, Jack!!

What a great picture. I don't follow college ball but I hope your team is doing well.
Excellent pic of your stag HHB! If I don't have a natural rooting interest, and tend to cheer for the underdog. So I don't very often root for the Sooners, but I will against LSU (and the SEC). Sooner or later, it had to happen!
I don't watch much, but the playoffs aught to be exciting! I mostly pull for OSU Cowboys, since I had two nephews graduate from there.
Good Morning Guardians.
Just received this ornament from a coworker. :cool:
Very cool, John!
Nice, Kevin...two Special Editions together!:cool::thumbsup:
3-3-cervantes-fullstatue-jpg.1252009
I'm just glad they got my good side!:rolleyes::p

Did I mention that my lambsfoot for this week is my Ashley's Choice that I named Cracker Jack?
cj-mark-vopen-gardenpost-jpg.1252012

Union Jack bringing more season's greetings:
uj-sleigh-jpg.1252014
Hey, I've seen those two somewhere! :eek::cool::thumbsup:
Horehound Candy Stuart @Duckdog sent me recently, really interesting flavour :) :thumbsup:

P5f7FkO.jpg
Vey cool. I haven't had that brand before, but we do pick up a bag once in a while. :thumbsup:
Your HHB is looking great, Jack!;):thumbsup:
Skoll getting some much needed Sun...

Notice the hole in the wood about half way along the back spring, I think Skoll spent some time next to Lucy. ;)
Looks like Sköll is having a 'howling good time'!:D:cool::thumbsup:

EmjXEEk.jpg
Well they certainly help with the whole disposition thing!:):thumbsup:

On the anvil...
8FIdBte.jpg

Oh man, JB, you're going to make me run to the store to grab a bag of horehound! I've loved that stuff since I was kid, and I haven't had it in quite some time!

As usual, a bevy of beauties have been shown here recently! I'll have to snag my horn lammy when I get home and slip it into my pocket.

And a dandy photo, Dylan! Her name be Holly??:cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, Dennis! Her name is actually Rosie (can't recall if Jack or FBC named her). In any case, I think there are a couple of Rosies floating around here now. Though Holly would certainly be a terrific name as well.

Thanks a lot Dylan, great to see that one :) Nice pic :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack!

I'm Back!!! Well, the doctors in their "Ivory Tower" at OHSU say I've got cancer in my left jaw bone. They are going to remove the left jaw bone and replace it with a bone from my leg or my arm.:eek: Oh Joy. Since I'm going to have to have a Sunny Disposition for what's ahead, I'm posting a picture of my Jack Black Jack Black SFO Hartshead Barlow basking in the Sun to kick-start my Sunny Disposition frame of mind.

uy3qkvB.jpg

Sorry to hear about the less than favorable news, Ed. My best wishes go out to you and I hope for a successful operation and speedy recovery.

The holidays must be making you and John nostalgic, Dylan. That's a marvelous knife!

Thank you, GT! Cracker Jack is looking mighty fine!

Been going with the AC the last couple of days. I hope everyone has a pleasant weekend!

7nDPuyX.jpg

I have been using my CPAP machine for over 6 years now. I became so used to it that I am not able to even take a short nap without it.
My wife is grateful too because she does not have to put up with my loud snoring :)

Hi Dennis, just the other day I saw a cardinal on the snow through some of the trees in the forest ... so beautiful !
I wish I had a camera with a good zoom lens. I will definitely try to get a pic of one :thumbsup:
I had a CPAP in the old days when you had to sleep in a wire turban with a nurse crouched over you to find out if you needed one, and then you had to go back to have them determine the pressure. And the machine was a couple thousand bucks.

I mentioned to my new doctor at our first exam that I had cured myself of sleep apnea, and she sent me off for a sleep test. She was right. I wasn't alarmed by the 55 breath stoppages per hour, because how long could they be, but my oxygen in the finger clamp was 71% instead of 99%, so...
Now the sleep test is done at home for a lot less than in the old days, and now the APAP sets its own pressure level every six breaths, and the machine is much cheaper. And the humidifier unit is much better built. So anyway, one area of progress in the world.

Attachments

• DSCF3798.JPG
    DSCF3798.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I picked this up off the exchange. Probably overpaid for it, but it's my fault for not asking enough questions. Scales were coming off, major space between liners and backspring... Is the angle of the blade ok? I keep looking here for good representations of the pattern and they all seem to have a straight feed to the handle. The angle doesn't bother me particularly but being this is my first lambfoot I'd like to know if it's a good example of the pattern or should I keep this for a beater since I've "fixed" the scales with epoxy and emery cloth and look for a better copy elsewhere? A. Wright and sons is the manufacturer.15768946756411399897914.jpg

Back