Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Oh, that was actually a different guy :) I think they might be trying to discourage people from climbing there now. There's never been anything very challenging there, I think The Shield is graded HVS, and I doubt it gets climbed often. I've done the two ridges on the other side of the gorge, but they're only scrambles (Diff. And V.Diff I think) :)

Interesting to know Jack. I think my days of scrambling are over now, especially with my knees. :D I did come across a couple of climbing bolts, but Lord knows how long they've been up there. :eek:
I'll go back onto Youtube and track those vids down. :thumbsup:

You know I HAD to watch it...
and NO, I would not do that... ever!

Memorable scenery, but even in my youth, I'd have never made that final climb!
- GT

Aye gents I know what you mean. I'm somewhat younger than many here but the days were I'd balance on a newspaper sized rock in 30mph gusts are long gone for me as well.:D

Beautiful shot, David!:cool::thumbsup: Looks like a great place for the Highwaymen to swoop down on their horses onto the unsuspecting travelers below!:D

Wonderful photo of your stag HHB in a striking setting, David!
- GT

Thanks gents, Derbyshire is one of our nicer counties. And as Jack has already mentioned large parts of The Princess Bride were filmed around there. :thumbsup:

I'm Back!!! Well, the doctors in their "Ivory Tower" at OHSU say I've got cancer in my left jaw bone. They are going to remove the left jaw bone and replace it with a bone from my leg or my arm.:eek: Oh Joy. Since I'm going to have to have a Sunny Disposition for what's ahead, I'm posting a picture of my Jack Black Jack Black SFO Hartshead Barlow basking in the Sun to kick-start my Sunny Disposition frame of mind.

uy3qkvB.jpg

Well Ed, to put it mildly that's crap news. May I wish you good luck for all the treatment that has to come.

I was so impressed with the Wright green bone, and the Bowie, that this happened...o_O
um0FqUi.jpg

uTM6tsK.jpg

KAj7YrN.jpg

So now there are 2....
pV081L9.jpg

I think I may as well order one in rosewood, it would be inconsiderate not to...

One for sorrow, two for joy... :):thumbsup:

It's actually only 5.15am here so I don't now what knife I'll be using today but I'll post a pic anyway.
xQ5Lx3v.jpg

Linus just arrived. Yay!
View attachment 1252045

Yay! :) Looking forward to seeing more of the little feller Harvey :) :thumbsup:

I have been using my CPAP machine for over 6 years now. I became so used to it that I am not able to even take a short nap without it.
My wife is grateful too because she does not have to put up with my loud snoring :)

Hi Dennis, just the other day I saw a cardinal on the snow through some of the trees in the forest ... so beautiful !
I wish I had a camera with a good zoom lens. I will definitely try to get a pic of one :thumbsup:

That's good Dan :) I had never heard of them before a discussion in The Lounge, which I have to thank for encouraging me to go and seek tests. My doctor is useless, but I eventually managed to get him to refer me to the hospital, and it turned out I had sleep apnea pretty bad. It took me quite a while to get used to the CPAP machine, but it was a big help. However, because of another medical problem, I developed a really bad long-term cough, which stopped me using it. Getting back to using the machine has been difficult, but I really need to do it :thumbsup:

Cool photo, Jack! John beat me to the comment I was going to make, so I'll just say you have great photos "in spades "!:cool::confused:

That croissant looks awsome, Jack!!

Vey cool. I haven't had that brand before, but we do pick up a bag once in a while. :thumbsup:
Your HHB is looking great, Jack!;):thumbsup:

On the anvil...
8FIdBte.jpg

Thanks a lot Dennis :) I get them to warm the croissants, and they are pretty nice :) That's a fantastic photo my friend, well done :cool: :thumbsup:

Oh man, JB, you're going to make me run to the store to grab a bag of horehound! I've loved that stuff since I was kid, and I haven't had it in quite some time!

As usual, a bevy of beauties have been shown here recently! I'll have to snag my horn lammy when I get home and slip it into my pocket.

I like it a lot Shawn, have to watch what's left of my teeth! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Linus was famished so I fed him.
View attachment 1252140

Great hospitality Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Dennis! Her name is actually Rosie (can't recall if Jack or FBC named her). In any case, I think there are a couple of Rosies floating around here now. Though Holly would certainly be a terrific name as well.

Thank you, Jack!

Sorry to hear about the less than favorable news, Ed. My best wishes go out to you and I hope for a successful operation and speedy recovery.

Thank you, GT! Cracker Jack is looking mighty fine!

Been going with the AC the last couple of days. I hope everyone has a pleasant weekend!

7nDPuyX.jpg

I don't think it was me Dylan, maybe Kevin :) Fine photo of your AC my friend :) :thumbsup:

I had a CPAP in the old days when you had to sleep in a wire turban with a nurse crouched over you to find out if you needed one, and then you had to go back to have them determine the pressure. And the machine was a couple thousand bucks.

I mentioned to my new doctor at our first exam that I had cured myself of sleep apnea, and she sent me off for a sleep test. She was right. I wasn't alarmed by the 55 breath stoppages per hour, because how long could they be, but my oxygen in the finger clamp was 71% instead of 99%, so...
Now the sleep test is done at home for a lot less than in the old days, and now the APAP sets its own pressure level every six breaths, and the machine is much cheaper. And the humidifier unit is much better built. So anyway, one area of progress in the world.

Yikes! :eek: I thoght the home sleep study was bad enough, I think I only got 2 hours sleep! :rolleyes:

At this point I should go take a CPAP and Lambsfoot pic, but I'm rushing a bit this morning. Maybe later ;) :D :thumbsup:

I picked this up off the exchange. Probably overpaid for it, but it's my fault for not asking enough questions. Scales were coming off, major space between liners and backspring... Is the angle of the blade ok? I keep looking here for good representations of the pattern and they all seem to have a straight feed to the handle. The angle doesn't bother me particularly but being this is my first lambfoot I'd like to know if it's a good example of the pattern or should I keep this for a beater since I've "fixed" the scales with epoxy and emery cloth and look for a better copy elsewhere? A. Wright and sons is the manufacturer.View attachment 1252278

Welcome to the Guardians Willie :thumbsup: Sorry to hear you got such a shoddy example off the exchange :( That blade does look to have more cant than it should. Unfortunately, a lot of second-rate knives have left Sheffield in the last 20 years, sometimes 'seconds', bought by unscrupulous dealers, sometimes just bad workmanship and a lack of QC. I've tried very hard to raise standards with my SFOs, but I won't be going back for anymore I'm afraid. I hope you can find something better, feel free to drop me a PM :thumbsup:

Interesting to know Jack. I think my days of scrambling are over now, especially with my knees. :D I did come across a couple of climbing bolts, but Lord knows how long they've been up there. :eek:
I'll go back onto Youtube and track those vids down. :thumbsup:

Aye gents I know what you mean. I'm somewhat younger than many here but the days were I'd balance on a newspaper sized rock in 30mph gusts are long gone for me as well.:D

Thanks gents, Derbyshire is one of our nicer counties. And as Jack has already mentioned large parts of The Princess Bride were filmed around there. :thumbsup:

Well Ed, to put it mildly that's crap news. May I wish you good luck for all the treatment that has to come.

One for sorrow, two for joy... :):thumbsup:

It's actually only 5.15am here so I don't now what knife I'll be using today but I'll post a pic anyway.
xQ5Lx3v.jpg

Mine too David, bad knees, and a big belly! :D That's a superb pic David, makes me miss Derbyshire, I wish I could still get out there in 20 minutes or so :( :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, rushing like crazy I'm afraid, but I'll be sure to catch up later. Have a great weekend everyone :thumbsup:

Saturday stag ;) :thumbsup:

plVNAsK.jpg

Welcome to the Guardians Willie :thumbsup: Sorry to hear you got such a shoddy example off the exchange :( That blade does look to have more cant than it should. Unfortunately, a lot of second-rate knives have left Sheffield in the last 20 years, sometimes 'seconds', bought by unscrupulous dealers, sometimes just bad workmanship and a lack of QC. I've tried very hard to raise standards with my SFOs, but I won't be going back for anymore I'm afraid. I hope you can find something better, feel free to drop me a PM :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warm welcome Jack. I really do like the pattern. Despite the flaws I really don't regret getting it. I'll just have to see if I can't find a better example when my funds recover from Christmas shopping and my recent knife buying frenzy. In the meantime I'll just have to keep lurking here and being jealous.

It's too bad the seller wasn't more forthcoming about the faults of the knife. :(

I'm giving the benefit of doubt on the scales and whatnot. It's really on me for not going into more detail about possible issues and asking for more pictures. It was an easy fix other than the angle of the blade which really doesn't effect it's function as a cutting tool. I also should have done some more research on the maker before pulling the trigger, but in a beer infused haze I jumped at a knife on impulse. I should probably stay off the web while I'm drinking...

Jack Black Jack Black , I tried to send you a pm to get some guidance, but for some reason that I can't figure out I can't start a conversation with you. If you can could you email me if you don't mind? I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to do this but I'm lost as far as how/where else to try it. Hopefully I won't get myself in too much trouble.

Last edited:
Good Morning Guardians

Col pic John :D :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warm welcome Jack. I really do like the pattern. Despite the flaws I really don't regret getting it. I'll just have to see if I can't find a better example when my funds recover from Christmas shopping and my recent knife buying frenzy. In the meantime I'll just have to keep lurking here and being jealous.

Glad to hear you like the Lambsfoot pattern Willie, and look forward to seeing more of you here :) :thumbsup:

It's too bad the seller wasn't more forthcoming about the faults of the knife. :(

Have to agree with that :( :thumbsdown:

I'm giving the benefit of doubt on the scales and whatnot. It's really on me for not going into more detail about possible issues and asking for more pictures. It was an easy fix other than the angle of the blade which really doesn't effect it's function as a cutting tool. I also should have done some more research on the maker before pulling the trigger, but in a beer infused haze I jumped at a knife on impulse. I should probably stay off the web while I'm drinking...

Hmmm....been there :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Howdy folks!!!!

1XM1sZv.jpg

Hey Ed, hope your weekend is going OK mate :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you kindly, Jack. Your Hartshead and donor portrait is Magnifico.:thumbsup:

Modoc ED Modoc ED - Howdy Ed.:)

Good Morning Guardians.

Took Linus on an orientation walk. I must say... He’s a handsome Chap.
9D5B68B5-8305-4E77-BB98-1AFD1D7FF882_zpsqdchlepv.jpeg

View attachment 1252449

Many thanks Harvey, what beautiful photos :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a great day :) My morning was consumed with intense pre-Christmas housework :eek: Then a little beer shopping, pint and a burger, and home. Think I've just about got everything done :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Skoll getting some much needed Sun...

Notice the hole in the wood about half way along the back spring, I think Skoll spent some time next to Lucy. ;)
Beautiful knife and photo John! :)

Ed, I’m sorry to hear this. Praying and wishing for you the best outcome.

Good Morning Guardians.

Working through PB and internet issues.

Linus just arrived. Yay!
View attachment 1252045
It’s good to see Linus! I hope you don’t fatten him up too much Harvey! :)

Good evening.

I'm hoping to loosen Tater's hard pull up a wee bit. Made a copper wire shim and gently tapped it in while the blade is held in a vice.

Edit: I left it like this overnight. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. It's now much easier to pinch open, but still has plenty of snap closed (talk?). Also, there is no hint of wanting to tear my thumbnail when opened that way. :thumbsup: I'm going to live with it like it is for a while and let use and time tell me if I need to repeat the process.

IMG-1633.jpg

Last edited:
Good evening.

I'm hoping to loosen Tater's hard pull up a wee bit. Made a copper wire shim and gently tapped it in while the blade is held in a vice.

IMG-1633.jpg
Yow! It's like when you accidentally stumble on one of those surgery shows when switching channels. :eek:
I've lightened the pull on a blade by carefully filing the inside corner of the tang with a jeweler's file. (the corner that pushes the spring up on opening, not the one that pushes to close.) That way the knife opens easier without actually changing the tension of the spring.

Yow! It's like when you accidentally stumble on one of those surgery shows when switching channels. :eek:
I've lightened the pull on a blade by carefully filing the inside corner of the tang with a jeweler's file. (the corner that pushes the spring up on opening, not the one that pushes to close.) That way the knife opens easier without actually changing the tension of the spring.

Did that. Followed Cambertree’s tune-up procedure. Made a noticeable difference, but still too strong for my liking.

I was planning to make steak, potatoes, and greens beans for dinner but didn’t want to go to the store so instead I sliced up and few snacks with my A. Wright, grabbed a drink, and put on a classic Christmas music....Die Hard!!! Hope everyone’s enjoying their evening.
09DE5FC7-216B-4E84-BB37-328D07825B94.jpeg

Back