Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thank you, fellas!

I hope everyone is keeping well so far.

I think it goes without saying that my planned evening smoke is ruined...

AQjGHEc.jpg
Sorry to hear that. You don't have an awning or porch?

Well, at least you got a fantastic pic out of it! Well done! :thumbsup:

Amen. Among the things that we can count on in these crazy times is that the photography skills of @Pàdruig and @cigarrodog will remain top-notch. Thank you, gentlemen, for that. And, thank you, everyone, for continuing to be present here, even if it's just lurking, which is my usual mode of late. :thumbsup:

Crazy Chester said "I will fix your rack"? What rack? What's wrong with it?

Maybe it relates to the first verse in which the narrator is just looking for a bed. When I was in college, "hit the rack" was a common phrase for "go to bed" (some of my Korean War uncles used to say it, too, so maybe it's military as well). Could Crazy Chester be saying he'll fix a bed for the narrator if he agrees to take care of Jack, the dog?

- GT

Fun fact: “Crazy Chester” was apparently an eccentric character from Fayetteville, Arkansas (where I lived for several years) who was known to the guys in The Band. Here’s a quote from Levon Helm’s autobiography:

The song was full of our favorite characters. “Luke” was Jimmy Ray Paulman. “Young Anna Lee” was Anna Lee Williams from Turkey Scratch. “Crazy Chester” was a guy we all knew from Fayetteville who came into town on Saturdays wearing a full set of cap guns on his hips and kinda walked around town to help keep the peace, if you follow me. He was like Hopalong Cassidy, and he was a friend of The Hawks. Ronnie [Hawkins] would always check with Crazy Chester to make sure there wasn’t any trouble around town. And Chester would reassure him that everything was peaceable and not to worry, because he was on the case. Two big cap guns, he wore, plus a toupee!
(Turkey Scratch is a small town in eastern Arkansas where Helm grew up. Actually, I’m not sure it’s technically even a town. More of an unincorporated community.)

I did review the boots on the cover, which I think were the Trezeta Ontario GTX - How can I remember that when I struggle to remember what I did yesterday :rolleyes: I actually had 25 pages of copy in that particular issue, as well as 36 photos. I haven't always been the lazy wastrel I am now! :D :thumbsup:

Cool magazine cover, Jack! Looks like a decent pair of boots, too, but I’m not sure about the cutouts with the different color leather. Looks fine, but I’d take a single piece of leather any day! :D

I won’t tell you how old I was in May 1993. ;)

I just took delivery of a bottle of Lagavulin :) No pics, as it's still in quarantine, but it looks a lot like this, but hopefully with twice as much whisky in it ;) :D :thumbsup:

pPaTAAn.jpg

Just been looking in my booze cupboard, and the even larger overspill booze cupboard, and I don't think I'm going to run out of whisky for a while! :eek: :) :thumbsup:

An excellent libation! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I stocked up on Lagavulin back in the fall when there was news of a 25% tariff that was going to be added to all single malt Scotch imported to the US. (I’m not sure whatever happened with that — prices certainly haven’t gone up by 25% — but at the time I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. Paying $5 more for a $20 bottle of whiskey would be irritating, but an extra 25% added to the price of a bottle of Lagavulin would be a real kick in the wallet!) :D

I came across a couple of recipes that I thought might be of interest to one or two people, btb01 btb01 in particular :thumbsup:

Fdv6eYd.jpg

'Cider' means 'Hard Cider' :thumbsup:

That is interesting, Jack. Sounds like an awful lot of work, though, and I don’t know where you’d buy burdock root or dandelion leaves. (Actually, they probably sell both at Whole Foods.) :rolleyes:

Having a rare soft drink ;) :thumbsup:

EE3QRrQ.jpg

That’s certainly brightly colored can! I wonder how much it costs, though… ;) :D

Here’s a bit of recycled Lambsfoot content, a family photo I took a while back. It’s missing a few that I’ve acquired since, most notably my Hartshead Barlow and Waynorth Lambsfoot.

zaTZNM1.jpg

A tastes repast for sure. The HHB had a make-over?:)

Thanks Bill, no that's the same old Barlow :thumbsup:

Knights of the Sourdough....:cool:
View attachment 1314432

Another aspiring Knight of the Sourdough reporting in! Day five of starting the starter:

A50vFr3h.jpg

I've been keeping it in the oven with the light turned on to keep it warm. There's a big "NO" on a post-it stuck to the oven controls to keep me from forgetting about it and preheating the oven for other uses. :D

Great efforts Knights :thumbsup:

Thank you, fellas!

I hope everyone is keeping well so far.

I think it goes without saying that my planned evening smoke is ruined...

AQjGHEc.jpg

That's a shame Dylan, do you have a tarp you can rig up? Still a great pic my friend :thumbsup:

Yes, the ice has pretty much disappeared ... and quite fast this year ! :thumbsup:
Now,... last year we had a major snow storm at Easter time so we are hesitant to celebrate too much the coming of warmer weather in case old man winter hears us :eek:

I did manage on today's walk to find some ice for @mitch4ging who was asking about it :D

k4m69VI.jpg

LUBB66E.jpg

We have been caught out by snow at Easter here a few times Dan, but it is English snow rather than Canadian snow :eek: :D Those are fantastic photos my friend :) :thumbsup:

I carry a lambsfoot...

qqdlNrH.jpg

...because "twin blades" are for sissies!

How 'bout you?

:D :cool: :thumbsup:

Cool magazine cover, Jack! Looks like a decent pair of boots, too, but I’m not sure about the cutouts with the different color leather. Looks fine, but I’d take a single piece of leather any day! :D

You are very observant my friend, cut for looks rather than function. I reviewed the same boots for another (better) magazine, Climber & Hillwalker too. I reviewed 10 pairs of boots for the feature, with my editor at the magazine adding a couple of additional ones - probably part of the reason I suffer so much with my feet now! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Zjf0iLo.jpg

hgq59KE.jpg

I won’t tell you how old I was in May 1993. ;)

I was a bit younger myself mate ;) :D :thumbsup:

An excellent libation! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I stocked up on Lagavulin back in the fall when there was news of a 25% tariff that was going to be added to all single malt Scotch imported to the US. (I’m not sure whatever happened with that — prices certainly haven’t gone up by 25% — but at the time I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. Paying $5 more for a $20 bottle of whiskey would be irritating, but an extra 25% added to the price of a bottle of Lagavulin would be a real kick in the wallet!) :D

That certainly would have been a hike Barrett! :eek: My hand slipped while pouring this one last night :rolleyes:

6LikLnR.jpg

That is interesting, Jack. Sounds like an awful lot of work, though, and I don’t know where you’d buy burdock root or dandelion leaves. (Actually, they probably sell both at Whole Foods.) :rolleyes:

You can buy them Barrett, but the idea is that you go out and pick them fresh :)

Here’s a bit of recycled Lambsfoot content, a family photo I took a while back. It’s missing a few that I’ve acquired since, most notably my Hartshead Barlow and Waynorth Lambsfoot.

zaTZNM1.jpg

That is an impressive collection my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is getting on OK. Been a long week for most of us I think, so I hope that some of you have something to look forward to at the weekend :) :thumbsup:

mbFFqJw.jpg

Thanks Bill, no that's the same old Barlow :thumbsup:

Great efforts Knights :thumbsup:

That's a shame Dylan, do you have a tarp you can rig up? Still a great pic my friend :thumbsup:

We have been caught out by snow at Easter here a few times Dan, but it is English snow rather than Canadian snow :eek: :D Those are fantastic photos my friend :) :thumbsup:

:D :cool: :thumbsup:

You are very observant my friend, cut for looks rather than function. I reviewed the same boots for another (better) magazine, Climber & Hillwalker too. I reviewed 10 pairs of boots for the feature, with my editor at the magazine adding a couple of additional ones - probably part of the reason I suffer so much with my feet now! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Zjf0iLo.jpg

hgq59KE.jpg

I was a bit younger myself mate ;) :D :thumbsup:

That certainly would have been a hike Barrett! :eek: My hand slipped while pouring this one last night :rolleyes:

6LikLnR.jpg

You can buy them Barrett, but the idea is that you go out and pick them fresh :)

That is an impressive collection my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is getting on OK. Been a long week for most of us I think, so I hope that some of you have something to look forward to at the weekend :) :thumbsup:

mbFFqJw.jpg
On my last bottle of Lagavulin 16. I will need to make a run down to South Carolina for more. Prices have been creeping up though. My Laphroig 10 year cask strength is also low. Going into rationing mode I guess. If that's the only hardship I face through these times I guess I should be grateful. You HHB is looking well.

Fun fact: “Crazy Chester” was apparently an eccentric character from Fayetteville, Arkansas (where I lived for several years) who was known to the guys in The Band. Here’s a quote from Levon Helm’s autobiography:

The song was full of our favorite characters. “Luke” was Jimmy Ray Paulman. “Young Anna Lee” was Anna Lee Williams from Turkey Scratch. “Crazy Chester” was a guy we all knew from Fayetteville who came into town on Saturdays wearing a full set of cap guns on his hips and kinda walked around town to help keep the peace, if you follow me. He was like Hopalong Cassidy, and he was a friend of The Hawks. Ronnie [Hawkins] would always check with Crazy Chester to make sure there wasn’t any trouble around town. And Chester would reassure him that everything was peaceable and not to worry, because he was on the case. Two big cap guns, he wore, plus a toupee!
(Turkey Scratch is a small town in eastern Arkansas where Helm grew up. Actually, I’m not sure it’s technically even a town. More of an unincorporated community.)
That is some fun facts. Thanks.
HkftCf6.jpg

Maybe someone thought, 'Ambrosius?! He's got to be from bloody Yorkshire with a name like that!' :rolleyes:

I just can't imagine Guinevere in her Nora Batty stockings... :D
Yym9oeQ.jpg

It's supposed to be good - if you can get in! (I'd put a link in to their site, but it just says they're closed right now):rolleyes: There's very little else in Golcar :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Jack; I didn't know that place existed. Looks like the sort of place that would only be open every third Saturday in the summer. :D

It looks alright doesn't it? I only found it by chance :thumbsup:

Aye I want to have a go at brewing (unhopped) ale or similar drinks and that looks just the ticket. By coincidence I was watching this the other day about spruce beer.

I like that pic David, the ball looks ace! :D :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack. It's the one I mentioned using to massage my injured arm. £2 from Tesco I think.

Looking good David! :)

Thanks Ron. :thumbsup:

Jack mentioned respirators to me before as we had discussed the importance of being clean shaven for face masks to be effective. It got me thinking and I rooted out my mum's old WWII gas mask.
W6Qp5r8.jpg

On my last bottle of Lagavulin 16. I will need to make a run down to South Carolina for more. Prices have been creeping up though. My Laphroig 10 year cask strength is also low. Going into rationing mode I guess. If that's the only hardship I face through these times I guess I should be grateful. You HHB is looking well.

Prices have certainly gone up since I first started drinking Lagavulin in the 80's, and on all the Islay malts, but Lagavulin is pretty pricey these days. I think I should be OK for whisky, even if my other malts don't quite compare :thumbsup:

I just can't imagine Guinevere in her Nora Batty stockings... :D
Yym9oeQ.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Jack; I didn't know that place existed. Looks like the sort of place that would only be open every third Saturday in the summer. :D

Yes :rolleyes: @ADEE reckons it's OK, but then he doesn't have far to visit, living right on the doorstep :thumbsup:

Aye I want to have a go at brewing (unhopped) ale or similar drinks and that looks just the ticket. By coincidence I was watching this the other day about spruce beer.

I have had spruce TEA! :D Funnily enough, I also saw something about spruce beer recently, but I don't think it was on that channel :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack. It's the one I mentioned using to massage my injured arm. £2 from Tesco I think.

Very good :D I've just realised I have an NHS one on my coffee table! :D Just giving it a try (I usually just squeeze it) :thumbsup:

VzrFKFU.jpg

Jack mentioned respirators to me before as we had discussed the importance of being clean shaven for face masks to be effective. It got me thinking and I rooted out my mum's old WWII gas mask.
W6Qp5r8.jpg

That's a great souvenir David! :cool: They used to be all over the place when I was a kid :D I'll have to dig out my German/Israeli one! :D Back in the early 1980's, I had a pal who lived in Birmingham, where he reckoned he could pick up inexpensive two-way radios. I gave him some money to get me 4, so the next time I saw him, he told me he couldn't get any radios, so he got me some gas-masks instead! :confused: o_O :rolleyes: At the time there were loads of these high-quality German-made gas-masks on the world market, and they could be had for under £5 (they were mostly civilian, but some were military). The civilian models came in a cardboard box, with a plastic strap, covered in Hebrew writing, and there was a filter, and a training 'flter' in addition to the mask. The story behind them was that in the run-up to the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, the Israeli government had received intelligence that the Syrians were planning to use chemical weapons, so they bought up stocks of high-quality German gas-masks to issue to the Jewish population. The intelligence proved to be wrong, and the masks were never used, so they were eventually sold off, and because there were so many of them, prices were probably lower than they'd originally cost. It took me years to give away the other 3! :rolleyes:

I have had spruce TEA! :D Funnily enough, I also saw something about spruce beer recently, but I don't think it was on that channel :thumbsup:

Great I'll look for that then. I reckon it could be similar to heather ale (proper home brew stuff not the bottled) that the Scots used to brew, which I got a chance to try years ago. :thumbsup:

Very good :D I've just realised I have an NHS one on my coffee table! :D Just giving it a try (I usually just squeeze it) :thumbsup:

VzrFKFU.jpg

The best results for me was leaning into it against a wall with a slight rotation action. :thumbsup:

That's a great souvenir David! :cool: They used to be all over the place when I was a kid :D I'll have to dig out my German/Israeli one! :D Back in the early 1980's, I had a pal who lived in Birmingham, where he reckoned he could pick up inexpensive two-way radios. I gave him some money to get me 4, so the next time I saw him, he told me he couldn't get any radios, so he got me some gas-masks instead! :confused: o_O :rolleyes: At the time there were loads of these high-quality German-made gas-masks on the world market, and they could be had for under £5 (they were mostly civilian, but some were military). The civilian models came in a cardboard box, with a plastic strap, covered in Hebrew writing, and there was a filter, and a training 'flter' in addition to the mask. The story behind them was that in the run-up to the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, the Israeli government had received intelligence that the Syrians were planning to use chemical weapons, so they bought up stocks of high-quality German gas-masks to issue to the Jewish population. The intelligence proved to be wrong, and the masks were never used, so they were eventually sold off, and because there were so many of them, prices were probably lower than they'd originally cost. It took me years to give away the other 3! :rolleyes:

LOL! That's great. I wonder how they ended up in Birmingham. Definitely not as useful as two-way radios though. :(
I've got my mum's and dad's masks and one from I think my dad's uncle or great uncle.
Ky3CNWz.jpg

Great I'll look for that then. I reckon it could be similar to heather ale (proper home brew stuff not the bottled) that the Scots used to brew, which I got a chance to try years ago. :thumbsup:

The best results for me was leaning into it against a wall with a slight rotation action. :thumbsup:

I remember you mentioning the heather ale :)

Thanks (again) for the advice David :thumbsup:

LOL! That's great. I wonder how they ended up in Birmingham. Definitely not as useful as two-way radios though. :(
I've got my mum's and dad's masks and one from I think my dad's uncle or great uncle.
Ky3CNWz.jpg

I forget if they were from a second-hand market or an army surplus store, but those masks were on sale all over the place during that time. As he failed to get the radios, I'd rather have had my £20 back! o_O

Very cool :cool: :thumbsup:

Knights of the Sourdough....:cool:
View attachment 1314432

Another aspiring Knight of the Sourdough reporting in! Day five of starting the starter:

A50vFr3h.jpg

I've been keeping it in the oven with the light turned on to keep it warm. There's a big "NO" on a post-it stuck to the oven controls to keep me from forgetting about it and preheating the oven for other uses. :D

Go Knights! I’m starting my first build, in order to bake tomorrow.
WvjCCO9.jpg

Back