Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Congratulations John!
Thanks, Harvey. :)

be9e3a1b-68b2-4c17-a1b7-2979deb17c40-jpeg.1348768
Those are making me hungry. :eek:

I've been trying to find a video online of people's thoughts on British biscuits
At least I didn't order Hobnobs. ;)

A Spring Knife is the original, and more correct way of describing a slipjoint, a term which I doubt is more than a couple of decades old. It was in use from when the mechanism was first introduced :thumbsup:

"Slipjoint" has always seemed "too cute" to me, and I try to avoid using it, but "spring knife" seems very straightforward and descriptive. Maybe I'll try to use that term regularly. :rolleyes:

I don't care for the term "slipjoint", and rarely use it. Learned it on BF. They're "pocketknives." The newfangled "tactical" knives with thumbstuds and pocket clips are the one that need special names. I'm just gonna keep using my pocketknives. :cool:

How do y’all feel about “slippie”? :rolleyes:

I don't think I'd ever heard the phrase 20 years ago, and it sounds concocted to me too. It became more prominent, here in the UK, because British Law decided to differentiate between locking and non-locking folders, and users (and certainly the Law) were perhaps unaware that the latter already had a long-standing name. When I was younger, we just referred to penknives, or pocketknives, and to lock-knives if that applied. The terms 'spring-knife' and 'spring-knife cutler' have never ceased to be used in the Sheffield cutlery trade :thumbsup:

6gSsuAc.jpg

Spring knife, slipjoint, pocketknife...I don't think we'll ever find a definitive answer, but I'll take any of them over the practice of using the term "traditional." :rolleyes: Ugh... I refuse to do it. The word "traditional" is an adjective, it's not a name. Plus, using the term to refer to spring knives/slipjoints/pocketknifes leaves out friction folders, balisongs, and lockbacks not to mention the myriad styles of fixed blades out there.

Whenever someone asks for a recommendation for a "traditional" it takes all my self-control to not tell him to get a bowie knife. I don't always succeed. ;)

Spring knife, slipjoint, pocketknife...I don't think we'll ever find a definitive answer, but I'll take any of them over the practice of using the term "traditional." :rolleyes: Ugh... I refuse to do it. The word "traditional" is an adjective, it's not a name. Plus, using the term to refer to spring knives/slipjoints/pocketknifes leaves out friction folders, balisongs, and lockbacks not to mention the myriad styles of fixed blades out there.

Whenever someone asks for a recommendation for a "traditional" it takes all my self-control to not tell him to get a bowie knife. I don't always succeed. ;)
Bowies are the best. My favourite, but not practical for me as a daily carry knife. And "traditional" encompasses a large variety of cutlery, but does not include modern thumb-studded, pocket-clipped "tactical" knives that predominate in the general forum. It includes old-fashioned Barlows, trappers, stockmans, etc., but also Laguioles, Opinels, Puukus, Bowies, Douk-Douks, and a whole lot more. So to me "traditional" is a useful term. To each his own.

Interesting patina Ron, looking good :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! I’m trying to decide whether to Flitz or let it be. ;)

Quite understandable. I’m exited for you, too. PHEW! Congratulations John!

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you for the heads up on the biscuits. Lovely images.

Good Afternoon Guardians.
View attachment 1348766

Fresh Cut
View attachment 1348768
Harvey, I don’t know which one looks better, the stag or the fries! o_O I’m thinking Stag!!! :thumbsup: :D

You're making me hungry! :) :D They look delicious my friend :) :thumbsup:

Those are making me hungry. :eek:

Mission Acomplished!:D

Thank you Jack.:) Thank you John.:)

Jack Black Jack Black - Totally cool Vid. I’m not much of a dunker(it’s a texture thing), but I’m tempted to order the Digestive and the chocolate bourbon.

This would be the way to go on my watch.:)
https://nerdswithknives.com/british-bourbon-chocolate-biscuits/

Would love to see one of the Guardians try their white floury thumbs on this one.

Last edited:
An alley runs along the north side of our house. If I follow the alley west, there's just one house I pass before the alley ends at a major street; if I follow the alley east, it runs for almost a quarter mile (3 "half-blocks") before ending right across from the Miti-Mini Superette ("BEER WINE GROCERY LIQUOR"). But if I turn left out of the alley at the first street east of my street, I see this yellow house at the corner of Hall and Benjamin. Note the "saltbox" style, with 2 stories on one side, but only one story on the other side:
2.hall&benjamin.jpg

To the left of the house in the pic is this Little Free Library. This is my favorite kind of little library, in that it has an obvious resemblance to the house itself. In this case, the yellow paint and the roof line of library and house are quite similar:
2.libfront&side.jpg

Here's my LamBarJack on a shelf of the library (the top of 3 shelves IIRC). Anyone recognize any of the books?
2.LBJ2.onshelf.jpg

Here's a close-up of LamBarJack resting on top of the partially opened door of the library:
2.zoom.LBJ2.ondoor.jpg

- GT

A decade or so ago, I used to sometimes go to a music venue to see bands. It was a small place, but would get packed, and by the end of the night there wouldn't be any cold beer in the fridges - except for the Sam Smith's Fruit Beers (of which they make several). So me and my friends would sometimes finish off with one. I don't mind a fruit beer very occasionally, but they're usually something I buy for other people, rather than drink myself, one of my daughters can drink twice her weight in them I reckon, or she could when she was younger :rolleyes: Given a choice, I'd have swapped the two fruit beers in my mixed case for something else, but as I had one in the fridge, and as I was going to sit out in the garden for a bit, I thought I'd have this Raspberry Beer. Not bad, if you like that kind of thing :thumbsup:

XfOZhlH.jpg

A decade or so ago, I used to sometimes go to a music venue to see bands. It was a small place, but would get packed, and by the end of the night there wouldn't be any cold beer in the fridges - except for the Sam Smith's Fruit Beers (of which they make several). So me and my friends would sometimes finish off with one. I don't mind a fruit beer very occasionally, but they're usually something I buy for other people, rather than drink myself, one of my daughters can drink twice her weight in them I reckon, or she could when she was younger :rolleyes: Given a choice, I'd have swapped the two fruit beers in my mixed case for something else, but as I had one in the fridge, and as I was going to sit out in the garden for a bit, I thought I'd have this Raspberry Beer. Not bad, if you like that kind of thing :thumbsup:

XfOZhlH.jpg
I don't think I'd buy the raspberry! Will have to settle for wine tonight. Out of beer. :( Will have some more soon. :)

Here's my LamBarJack on a shelf of the library (the top of 3 shelves IIRC). Anyone recognize any of the books?
How can we recognize the books without the titles? I have had a number of Dover paperbacks--mostly chess books that used descriptive/English notation. (I hate algebraic notation--confuses me! Doesn't "P-K4" make much more sense than "e2-e4" for "Pawn to King Four"?)

At least I didn't order Hobnobs. ;)

Hobnobs are great, get the sort without chocolate! :thumbsup:

Well, what we could do is have a look in some history books, and we'll find that the definitive answer is 'spring knife' ;) 'Slipjoint' doesn't really have a pedigree at all :rolleyes: But I agree with you Christian, it's one of the reasons I dislike the stupid phrase 'modern traditional' so much, which is only ever applied to folders. Fair point, but can we leave the Bowie knives for another thread please ;) :thumbsup:

[Heavily Redacted o_O]

This is LAMBSFOOT thread gents, there should be no need to introduce other patterns to make your point, but if you want to discuss them, please take it somewhere else :thumbsup:

Nice photo of your AC Randy :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! I’m trying to decide whether to Flitz or let it be. ;)

When I'm out hiking, and I've been cutting fruit, I tend to wipe the blade quickly with my bandana. Unfortunately, the wiping action, combined with the fruit acids, tends to streak the existing patina, so I get ugly 'tram-lines' along the blade. Hence why I've Flitzed a couple :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Totally cool Vid. I’m not much of a dunker(it’s a texture thing), but I’m tempted to order the Digestive and the chocolate bourbon.

This would be the way to go on my watch.:)
https://nerdswithknives.com/british-bourbon-chocolate-biscuits/

Would love to see one of the Guardians try their white floury thumbs on this one.

Me neither actually Harvey, but I might have to dunk a bourbon just to give it a try! :D Ginger nuts are pretty good dunked, but generally I only rarely dunk :)

That looks pretty good Harvey, I generally eat plain biscuits, but I don't mind the occasional Bourbon ;) :D :thumbsup:

That's not what I was getting at Vince. I was talking about how many folks use the term "traditional" as a synonym for a spring knife/slipoint/pocketknife. Spring knives/slipjoints/pocketknives fall under the traditional umbrella, but they're not the same.

Yes, I agree. :thumbsup:

Me too, well made point Christian :thumbsup:

An alley runs along the north side of our house. If I follow the alley west, there's just one house I pass before the alley ends at a major street; if I follow the alley east, it runs for almost a quarter mile (3 "half-blocks") before ending right across from the Miti-Mini Superette ("BEER WINE GROCERY LIQUOR"). But if I turn left out of the alley at the first street east of my street, I see this yellow house at the corner of Hall and Benjamin. Note the "saltbox" style, with 2 stories on one side, but only one story on the other side:
View attachment 1348912

To the left of the house in the pic is this Little Free Library. This is my favorite kind of little library, in that it has an obvious resemblance to the house itself. In this case, the yellow paint and the roof line of library and house are quite similar:
View attachment 1348914

View attachment 1348913

Here's a close-up of LamBarJack resting on top of the partially opened door of the library:
View attachment 1348915

- GT

Very interesting post Gary, thank you, great pics :) :thumbsup:

I don't think I'd buy the raspberry! Will have to settle for wine tonight. Out of beer. :( Will have some more soon. :)

I don't think you're missing much Vince :thumbsup: I can only think of one really good fruit beer, in this style, off-hand, Kasteel Rouge. At least the Sam Smith's one isn't cloyingly sweet, like some are :thumbsup:

How can we recognize the books without the titles? I have had a number of Dover paperbacks--mostly chess books that used descriptive/English notation. (I hate algebraic notation--confuses me! Doesn't "P-K4" make much more sense than "e2-e4" for "Pawn to King Four"?)

It makes much more sense Vince :thumbsup:

Back