Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I’m trying to decide whether to Flitz or let it be.
I usually Flitz, Patina, Flitz, Patina, repeat... ;)

It's the fries!!
Right? :D

2-libfront-side-jpg.1348914
I'm enjoying your hunt for free libraries.
I'm tempted to send you some flies for the flybrary.

Sometimes forget which room I'm in.
It's called the "Dog House", Vince. :D

Well, what we could do is have a look in some history books, and we'll find that the definitive answer is 'spring knife' ;) 'Slipjoint' doesn't really have a pedigree at all :rolleyes:

OK, you've convinced me. Henceforth I will use the term spring knife in lieu of slipjoint. I still refuse to call them "traditionals." :p

If it's not too much trouble, can you post any supporting documentation Jack? The older the better.

OK, you've convinced me. Henceforth I will use the term spring knife in lieu of slipjoint. I still refuse to call them "traditionals." :p

kamagong kamagong - Christian. You may have been around when the "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" sub-forum was established by I think Elliott (Blues) and Gus (Bastid) along with of Course Spark. Up until then all posts about what we refer to here as traditional knives were posted in the General Knife Forum and slid off the page in quick order. I think Blues and Bastid picked the word "Traditional" to set off our knives vs. other types of knives so we could have an independent sub-forum.

Jack has merit in his suggestion but I also take into account the difference between meanings of certain words and phrases between Great Britain and the USA. I see nothing wrong with either reference talked about here. Anyway, my .02¢

That is all.

Evening Guardians, just on my phone at the moment, so this will be brief. I just want to make it clear that I'm not trying to limit the use of the word slipjoint here. A few pages back @flatblackcapo asked what the term 'spring knife' meant, and I explained that it is what slipjoints were called historically, from the time they were first introduced, and on both sides of the Atlantic. The word 'slipjoint' is a modern collectors term, like many other words we hear here. If people want to use it, I have no problem with that, I use it myself. There is a wealth of books on cutlery history, some of them are listed, (along with many free resources), in a post which is indexed, and many can be obtained for much less than the cost of a new knife :thumbsup:

kamagong kamagong - Christian. You may have been around when the "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" sub-forum was established by I think Elliott (Blues) and Gus (Bastid) along with of Course Spark. Up until then all posts about what we refer to here as traditional knives were posted in the General Knife Forum and slid off the page in quick order. I think Blues and Bastid picked the word "Traditional" to set off our knives vs. other types of knives so we could have an independent sub-forum.

Jack has merit in his suggestion but I also take into account the difference between meanings of certain words and phrases between Great Britain and the USA. I see nothing wrong with either reference talked about here. Anyway, my .02¢

That is all.

I remember Ed, and you're right, I was around. This forum -- Traditional (Folders + Fixed Blades) -- was formed to create a space for spring knives, friction folders, lockbacks, puukkos, bolos, khukuris, as well as other types of knives. Over time the term "traditional" was corrupted to refer specifically to spring knives. I reject that development and will continue to use traditional as an adjective and continue to call those old-timey pocketknives either slipjoints or spring knives.

I remember Ed, and you're right, I was around. This forum -- Traditional (Folders + Fixed Blades) -- was formed to create a space for spring knives, friction folders, lockbacks, puukkos, bolos, khukuris, as well as other types of knives. Over time the term "traditional" was corrupted to refer specifically to spring knives. I reject that development and will continue to use traditional as an adjective and continue to call those old-timey pocketknives either slipjoints or spring knives.

I'm right along with you Christian. I've been doing that and will continue to do so.:thumbsup::)

Hello Jack - read your post (thoroughly:)) on your GAW. I'll nominate Vaporstang Vaporstang . I'm not sure if he owns a lambfoot or not but I won a very nice Indianhead knife on his GAW recently so I would return the favor if I win your GAW and send it on to him. If this does not conform to you rules it's ok. Let me know and I'll try again or withdraw my entry.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

Interesting patina Ron, looking good :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, Vaporstang Vaporstang is a long-standing and well-respected member here on The Porch, I'm sure he'd be a great asset to The Guardians :thumbsup:
Thanks both of you!

Good Morning Guardians,

My apologies for the fact that the thread has been locked for several hours. I reluctantly took this action at about 1.15am (GMT) because I didn't want to wake up to a anymore posts which unnecessarily reference patterns other than the Lambsfoot. Recently, I have been having to raise this issue more frequently, as I did again yesterday, and I can only do so politely so many times. As most posters know and respect, this thread exists to discuss Lambsfoot knives - it doesn't exist to discuss Bowies, Puukkos, Bolos, Khukuris, Laguioles, Opinels, or Douk-Douks, all of which were mentioned here yesterday, and without any reference to Lambsfoot knives. If you want to discuss these patterns, there are plenty of threads in which to do so, but this thread is for Lambsfoot knives. So long as there is some Lambsfoot content, you can discuss other topics here in the friendly way that has helped to make everyone feel at home here, but other patterns should be discussed elsewhere, and unless there is a very good reason to mention them in direct relation to the Lambsfoot pattern, they do not need to be discussed here.

Thank you for understanding

Jack

yCDngVs.jpg

My afternoon cup of coffee

I see you like your coffee like you like your knives John ;) :thumbsup:

If it's not too much trouble, can you post any supporting documentation Jack? The older the better.

Feel free to use either term Christian :thumbsup: Penknives and pocket-knives, are actually older terms than spring knife, which only came about when folding knives with springs were invented, in France, as early as the beginning of the 17th century. There is a great deal of prior discussion on this and related subjects earlier in this thread, some of which is indexed, and you can find a link to the thread index in my first post. If you look there, you will also find a link to a post I made with a list of knife history books and free downloadable PDFs.

Just a few pages back, you will see how this recent discussion started, with a background photo I used from a late 19th century book on Sheffield.

hdL09Sw.jpg

You can find many old 18th and 19th century Sheffield trade catalogues free to download online, which list 'Spring Knife Cutlers', and if you look in the Vintage Knife Ad sticky, you will find examples of relevant ads, like the one I posted here in this thread the other day, just a few pages back.

6gSsuAc.jpg

Here's a few examples, but I could be posting these all day, and the best place for them is in the sticky, where they should be dated.

Fuyr2MX.jpg

1K9KqQX.jpg

aC5QS5p.jpg

DCYfqJC.jpg

AptFPck.jpg

There was certainly no confusion on this issue among American cutlers, they did not for example mistake a spring knife for an automatic knife, which as in the Old World, they called a 'Fly-Open Knife' :thumbsup:

Not to slight any Guardians but I have two new Best Friends. Meet Chester Cheetah and Mini-Vanilla. Two snacks that melt in my mouth and are swallow friendly. So here's my food picture contribution to this thread.

oILjkee.jpg

Hope you enjoyed getting to know your new friends Ed :thumbsup:

Good morning! I hope y’all are all doing well today! My coffee might be just a shade darker than my 2018 Guardians Ebony SFO this morning! ;) But, they are both mighty fine! :thumbsup: :D

49655426758_5803f1ba20_o_d.jpg

Sweet Ron ;) :thumbsup:

Good day Guardians! I haven’t posted in awhile but I’m still around. Carrying my AC today.

View attachment 1349284

Good to see you here Joshua, and your AC of course :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Jer :thumbsup:

I thought I'd post a couple of Modoc ED Modoc ED -style 'Before & After' pics of my Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:

gmT3hSE.jpg

5dnaKDO.jpg

Back