Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Finally some nice cool weather here in N. Georgia and the end of Apple Pickin' season.
We took our Grandsons out to enjoy a day of picking apples and hiking some property we have in N. GA.
image1 - Copy (2).jpeg
The Lambsfoot came in handy when peeling and eating the fruits of our labor.

image0 - Copy (3).jpeg
Hope you all have an enjoyable weekend :thumbsup:

Went to Kohl's with my wife and daughter today. My wife likes to shop there and she had some "Kohl's cash" (coupons). She didn't find anything, but my daughter and I, shopping separately, picked out denim jackets. I don't think I've had one since the '70s. We then went somewhere for ice cream, and at the counter we both picked out a pack of Black Jack chewing gum.
Aw9fTtr.jpg

Don't know if I've ever bought it before. We started chewing some in the car and my wife exclaimed: "What is that awful smell?" She hates licorice! Overall it has been a good day, though.

Finally some nice cool weather here in N. Georgia and the end of Apple Pickin' season.
We took our Grandsons out to enjoy a day of picking apples and hiking some property we have in N. GA.
View attachment 1438795
The Lambsfoot came in handy when peeling and eating the fruits of our labor.

View attachment 1438797
Hope you all have an enjoyable weekend :thumbsup:

Lovely photos George, thanks for sharing them here :) Those lads are going to have some very happy childhood memories :) :thumbsup:

Went to Kohl's with my wife and daughter today. My wife likes to shop there and she had some "Kohl's cash" (coupons). She didn't find anything, but my daughter and I, shopping separately, picked out denim jackets. I don't think I've had one since the '70s. We then went somewhere for ice cream, and at the counter we both picked out a pack of Black Jack chewing gum.
Aw9fTtr.jpg

Don't know if I've ever bought it before. We started chewing some in the car and my wife exclaimed: "What is that awful smell?" She hates licorice! Overall it has been a good day, though.

I grew up with denim jackets, and still have one hanging in the hall, though I think it's the best part of 10 years since I last wore it :) @r8shell kindly sent me some BlackJack gum :D :) :thumbsup:

jYgsauu.jpg

Thanks Jack! We had a great trip. Now we’re home recovering from a week of rest! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I know that feeling Ron! :D I'm still recovering from my day of leisure yesterday, I slept like a log last night! :D :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I'm still aching a bit from my perambulations yesterday, but I have plenty to do today, not least catching up here on The Porch! :eek: have a great day Guardians :thumbsup:

fp8SHV8.jpg

Despite rather dour and gloomy weather throughout most of the day yesterday, we had a decent walk over varied terrain. I wrote a couple of walking guides years ago, and filled them with original routes, but whenever I see a local guide, I am disappointed to see they include the same blatantly cribbed and idlily researched routes. Consequently, the vast majority of walkers, in any given area, stick to the same overcrowded paths, and if you go off the beaten track, and show a little imagination, you can have a lovely walk, with rarely another soul for company. It was certainly like that yesterday, we only saw a couple of farmers, getting on with their work, at a distance.

Our walk started close to 18th century Harewood Bridge, which gracefully spans the River Wharfe just before the West Yorkshire/North Yorkshire boundary. Today, it doesn't look any different to this sketch from 1808.

D07243_E.jpg

Looking downstream, the river was looking higher than on our last visit, and the solitary heron, who usually sits above the weir, was not there today.

1xhOXTY.jpg

We were going upstream today though, so crossed the bridge, and made our way along the damp banks of the Wharfe. There were views north to Almscliffe Crag, a traditional local rock-climbing spot, and we had it in sight throughout most of our hike.

XMdTWVv.jpg

The next weir upstream is ancient, and while partially collapsed, it still diverts some water to a pond on Harewood. It's original function was to provide water-power to a saw-mill, and while in its modern incarnation, it only dates back to 1973, there is still a saw-mill at Harewood Bridge.

g5rj93r.jpg

Walking on over the muddy terrain, we continued alongside the river until we reached ancient woodland, which conceals the even older earthworks of what was once the local centre of manorial power in the district.

gNgsA1I.jpg

Little remains to see of Rougemont Castle, which once stood here, from the later Anglo-Saxon period until the 12th century. It stood at a bend in the river, a ringwork with bailey, which consisted of stone buildings, including the residence of the local Lord, fish ponds, with a ditch surround, a timber palisade, and a stone wall. The paths through the woods still align with the entrances to the structure which once stood here.

RsZpu0h.jpg

sQnGm2r.jpg

We decided to stop for some tea and porridge, and I got to try out my latest titanium set-up ;)

HnlLVzz.jpg

d03n6eF.jpg

Leaving the wood by the northern entrance, we walked alongside a large cleared field, with views back to the wood, and ahead to the small village of Weeton.

Bnxnv72.jpg

The whole area is dense with small villages and hamlets, most of which go back to pre-Norman times, but most of which do not contain so much as a pub or shop, just large houses inhabited by the local bourgeoisie, and a few old farming families. Weeton's only feature of note today is a rather imposing church and adjacent vicarage.

4ePjXQ2.jpg

Crossing the field, we passed an old Ash tree, split asunder, but still thriving, and spotting a suitable fork, I harvested the makings of a slingshot.

rNoVcMA.jpg

Last edited:
We walked uphill, along a country lane, Almscliffe still with us in the distance.

u5JQU8C.jpg

QsRzDZO.jpg

The lane soon turned into a track, known here as a 'Green Lane', which clearly saw little use.

TFyRIjX.jpg

The lane continued to climb uphill, before turning to the East at its summit, and nearby we spotted a good place to have lunch.

F9PpaIS.jpg

1DRESth.jpg

The lane now began to slowly descend, and we were in farming country. Some crops, but it's mainly sheep and cattle in this area.

39j02ue.jpg

Our journey, which had been fairly muddy throughout, began to get even more so, as the tractors had torn up the ground underfoot. It's a busy time in the agricultural year, and we could see and hear various vehicles working away in the distance. It probably wasn't the best time to be walking over farmland, since the wetter weather, and consequent soft ground, combines with the preparations for winter, the various vehicular activities, and the movement of cattle.

We crossed over the busy Leeds-Harrogate road, shown no consideration by speeding motorists, but making it safely across to a footpath on the other side, descending into a sheep-filled field. Crossing the local beck on an ancient moss-covered bridge, we began to climb another very muddy field, and then another to a grand old hall, which is clearly still a working farm. It was built in the early 19th century, replacing a building several hundred years older, at a time when farming must have been considerably more lucrative than it is today.

Ykl9X1Z.jpg

Passing in front of the imposing farmhouse, we descended to a small road, and continued along a series of these, with views of Harewood in the distance, and a ridge we had walked just a few weeks back.

JActwl2.jpg

LCOHyQQ.jpg

We crossed a large and very muddy field, through which cattle had clearly only recently passed to the adjacent field. There was no sign of any human footprints, and the only sign of a footpath across the following fields was on the map. We climbed another small hill, and descended on the other side to a small lake or large pond, which is reputed to be a good spot for bird-watchers. I was just bemoaning the absence of any water-fowl when a large heron flew across in front of us.

3XsS7eq.jpg

OT33zZj.jpg

Walking round the pond, and then along another lane, we crossed a couple of stiles to reach the road, and awaited our carriage home ;)

Last edited:
Lovely photos George, thanks for sharing them here :) Those lads are going to have some very happy childhood memories :) :thumbsup:

I grew up with denim jackets, and still have one hanging in the hall, though I think it's the best part of 10 years since I last wore it :) @r8shell kindly sent me some BlackJack gum :D :) :thumbsup:

jYgsauu.jpg

I know that feeling Ron! :D I'm still recovering from my day of leisure yesterday, I slept like a log last night! :D :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I'm still aching a bit from my perambulations yesterday, but I have plenty to do today, not least catching up here on The Porch! :eek: have a great day Guardians :thumbsup:

fp8SHV8.jpg

We walked uphill, along a country lane, Almscliffe still with us in the distance.

u5JQU8C.jpg

QsRzDZO.jpg

The lane soon turned into a track, known here as a 'Green Lane', which clearly saw little use.

TFyRIjX.jpg

The lane continued to climb uphill, before turning to the East at its summit, and nearby we spotted a good place to have lunch.

F9PpaIS.jpg

1DRESth.jpg

The lane now began to slowly descend, and we were in farming country. Some crops, but it's mainly sheep and cattle in this area.

39j02ue.jpg

Our journey, which had been fairly muddy throughout, began to get even more so, as the tractors had torn up the ground underfoot. It's a busy time in the agricultural year, and we could see and hear various vehicles working away in the distance. It probably wasn't the best time to be walking over farmland, since the wetter weather, and consequent soft ground, combines with the preparations for winter, the various vehicular activities, and the movement of cattle.

We crossed over the busy Leeds-Harrogate road, shown no consideration by speeding motorists, but making it safely across to a footpath on the other side, descending into a sheep-filled field. Crossing the local beck on an ancient moss-covered bridge, we began to climb another very muddy field, and then another to a grand old hall, which is clearly still a working farm. It was built in the early 19th century, replacing a building several hundred years older, at a time when farming must have been considerably more lucrative than it is today.

Ykl9X1Z.jpg

Passing in front of the imposing farmhouse, we descended to a small road, and continued along a series of these, with views of Harewood in the distance, and a ridge we had walked just a few weeks back.

JActwl2.jpg

LCOHyQQ.jpg

We crossed a large and very muddy field, through which cattle had clearly only recently passed to the adjacent field. There was no sign of any human footprints, and the only sign of a footpath across the following fields was on the map. We climbed another small hill, and descended on the other side to a small lake or large pond, which is reputed to be a good spot for bird-watchers. I was just bemoaning the absence of any water-fowl when a large heron flew across in front of us.

3XsS7eq.jpg

OT33zZj.jpg

Walking round the pond, and then along another lane, we crossed a couple of stiles to reach the road, and awaited our carriage home ;)
What a nice stroll you had Jack and the photos are terrific. Your trusty HHB by your side.

u5JQU8C.jpg

QsRzDZO.jpg

TFyRIjX.jpg

F9PpaIS.jpg

1DRESth.jpg

39j02ue.jpg

Ykl9X1Z.jpg

JActwl2.jpg

LCOHyQQ.jpg

3XsS7eq.jpg

OT33zZj.jpg

Lovely tour, Jack. Thanks!

What a nice stroll you had Jack and the photos are terrific. Your trusty HHB by your side.

Thanks Bill, the weather was very dull, and it looked like it was about to rain for much of the day, but we had a nice time :) It always amazes me what lovely countryside, and the peace and quiet, that can be found still within the borders of one of England's biggest cities :thumbsup:

My first order of business today was trimming the fork I took from the old ash tree, and then I stropped and oiled my Barlow :) :thumbsup:

IoM4ept.jpg

ik3MZhB.jpg

The fork will be drying for the next month, and then I'll trim it to size and band it up :) :thumbsup:

Confession is good for the soul, Dan! I would have left it as is. Unlike some others, I make a knife "mine" by carrying and using it, and sharpening it when needed. I don't ever modify knives. But the knife looks fine. Wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you Vince !
I appreciate your input :thumbsup:

Looks like you did a fantastic job Dan :cool: Is there no end to your talents?! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Gracias Jack :)
( lol , you crack me up Jack every time you say that ! :D )

u5JQU8C.jpg

QsRzDZO.jpg

TFyRIjX.jpg

F9PpaIS.jpg

1DRESth.jpg

39j02ue.jpg

Ykl9X1Z.jpg

JActwl2.jpg

LCOHyQQ.jpg

3XsS7eq.jpg

OT33zZj.jpg

Very nice :thumbsup: Jack, thanks for taking us along on your walk !

u5JQU8C.jpg

QsRzDZO.jpg

TFyRIjX.jpg

F9PpaIS.jpg

1DRESth.jpg

39j02ue.jpg

Ykl9X1Z.jpg

JActwl2.jpg

LCOHyQQ.jpg

3XsS7eq.jpg

OT33zZj.jpg

Thanks for the tour and the great photos Jack! :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians

m30zNiJ.jpg

UqmRj0B.jpg
Great photos Dan! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, the weather was very dull, and it looked like it was about to rain for much of the day, but we had a nice time :) It always amazes me what lovely countryside, and the peace and quiet, that can be found still within the borders of one of England's biggest cities :thumbsup:

My first order of business today was trimming the fork I took from the old ash tree, and then I stropped and oiled my Barlow :) :thumbsup:

IoM4ept.jpg

ik3MZhB.jpg

The fork will be drying for the next month, and then I'll trim it to size and band it up :) :thumbsup:
Will that "fork" that you have whittled become something?:) I also like the solitude and quiet of the woods and countryside. One of the reasons why I like fly fishing the limestone creeks of upstate Pennsylvania:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. Sorry that you had rather dull weather but I'm sure things will brighten for you in the future.:D

Back