1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Good morning Guardians! :) Hopefully everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving had a good one with all things considered! I’m carrying a 2018 Guardians Ebony today. I hope everyone has a great day and weekend! Y’all stay safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    And the letters were mnemonic: Fire Side nine-...
    [​IMG]

3. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Yep. That's why there are the little letters under the numbers on the phone keypad. There was some concern about people being able to remember a sequence of seven numbers. So they started with a word, like
    KLondike 5 (KL5= 555) Ours was MOhawk 4-**** which meant 664-****

Also, our phone number was a "bad" one, because it had 8s and 9s in it, so it took longer to dial. A "good" number had lower numbers and was faster for the dial to make its way round.
    I feel old.
    Oh, those look good!

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! :D That's a great pic Dan, and a reminder that I haven't actually had any chestnuts since earlier in the year. I definitely need to make up for that :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Ron :) That knife was actually the cause of my first contact with Wright's. Rachel bought me one, as an Xmas present, from a UK vendor, and it was absolutely terrible, and nothing whatsoever like the photo on their website o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, after I contacted Wright's, I received a prompt response from John Maleham, asking me to return it, and he would get me one made that I would be proud to carry. That was pretty decent I thought :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

I'm still not a great fan of this particular Lambsfoot pattern, but I guess, like Marmite, you either love it or hate it :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Lovely ebony Ron :) :thumbsup:

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That must have been exciting Bill :) Unfortunately though, just like mine, it means that it won't qualify for that particular thread since a requirement is that the knife was acquired in 2020 (or after Xmas Day 2019). Mine was my Knife of 2019, since it had already taken over my pocket :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, you're very kind my friend :) Your Thanksgiving feast sounds pretty good. Costco always super-size everything don't they?! :D I hope the rain hasn't returned, and that you're having a great day, it's your last weekend as a pirate hopefully ;) Nice-looking '19 there :thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.
  6. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That's all really interesting :) I was about 13 or 14 before my parents got a home telephone, which wasn't something that thrilled me as it meant that my school could then phone them when I wasn't there! o_O I still had a dial telephone in the 80's :D I knew an old feller who lived in a remote farmhouse up on the moors near Sheffield, and he still had a five-digit phone number. I can still remember that too, and I doubt that I ever rang him more than once or twice (in the 70's)! :D :thumbsup:

Prester John, CelloDan and r8shell like this.
  7. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Along with a another pattern knife, I'll be carrying this Standard Lambfoot custom covered with Snakewood by @Signalprick . I use it often.

[​IMG]

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

8. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    That was a kind and gracious gesture and gift from Rachel, but it was definitely a dud if I’ve ever seen one Jack! It was a very smart business decision for John to replace it with a new one. The replacement is a beautiful knife. It just goes to enforce the fact that Wright’s are capable of building quality knives. Reinforced by all your SFO’s. But their knives are definitely “hit or miss” if one is purchasing from a dealer “sight unseen”! :rolleyes: Thanks for the compliment on my’18 Ebony. It’s definitely a personal favorite! :) :thumbsup:

CelloDan and Jack Black like this.
  9. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Ours was TUlip (88). Mohawk is way cooler!

Pt-Luso, r8shell and Jack Black like this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It had a huge number of flaws, apart from that awful-looking 'stag' too Ron, just a really badly-made knife :( I find it hugely frustrating that while Wright's are indeed capable of producing excellent knives, they let garbage like that leave their factory. I think their QC is worse than ever unfortunately :( The standard of UK dealers certainly doesn't help anyone trying to find a decent knife, I'm not sure most of them can even tell between a well-made knife and one that has been made badly :thumbsdown:

11. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

Onebigbill, Dschal, WHT and 4 others like this.
  12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    The weather doesn't look like it's going to be up to much tomorrow, but as long as it doesn't rain all day, I'll be happy to get out for a hike. So, if I don't get time to post in the morning, have a great weekend Guardians. Stay safe out there :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

13. peanutsxx

peanutsxx Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I still feel bad about nipping the tip when flushing it! I should have left well enough alone; I had already decided to send it to you but thought I'd flush the joints. Back and forth, back and forth, open and close -- wait, why did that feel funny when I opened it? :oops: Hope you've smoothed it out and get some use out of it! :D

P.S. For those curious I somehow managed to get the tip of a very thin sheepsfoot main caught between the backspring and liner and broke the tip...

14. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    I do not know, but do they even have QC checking?o_O

15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    They say they check them over, but based upon what I've seen there's no QC at all, with even the most obvious of cock-ups not being spotted. I've got plenty of examples I could post o_O

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Good morning Guardians, not a great start to the day here, and the forecast is for rain most of the day. I'm going to head out anyway, and hope I don't get too soaked. Have a good day everyone, stay safe out there :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  17. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  18. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Good morning Guardians !
    I hope your hike goes well Jack.
    Things are not great here either, lots of slush on the trails but we are going to try anyways later today.
    The girls will be playing/streaming their music online for churches in Kingston and Brockville this morning so I'll be setting up the equipment soon.

Have a great day everyone :)

[​IMG]

19. CelloDan

Dec 2, 2017
    deleted double post

Jack Black likes this.
  20. CelloDan

Dec 2, 2017
    Triple post :rolleyes: