HEST Folder - photos in hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the folder doing away with the wire breaker? It looks like the area of the wire breaker went away and became a knock out for sharpening (guessing)?

If so I would offer the advice to angle this more (e.g., Chris Reeve Umnumzaan) or do away with the knock out (not sure of the correct term) and make it like the izula. I feel and have heard from others this type of design catches on material (e.g., rope, string, thread) when cutting. I also wonder if this would catch when gutting/skinning an animal.

I would offer advice about the bottle opener (based on looks) but found the HEST design works great and does not get in the way during use like I thought it would from the looks of it. Nice job!

This knife looks awesome! I can't wait to get it.

rob

Is the folder doing away with the wire breaker? It looks like the area of the wire breaker went away and became a knock out for sharpening (guessing)?

If so I would offer the advice to angle this more (e.g., Chris Reeve Umnumzaan) or do away with the knock out (not sure of the correct term) and make it like the izula. I feel and have heard from others this type of design catches on material (e.g., rope, string, thread) when cutting. I also wonder if this would catch when gutting/skinning an animal.

I would offer advice about the bottle opener (based on looks) but found the HEST design works great and does not get in the way during use like I thought it would from the looks of it. Nice job!

This knife looks awesome! I can't wait to get it.

rob

"Choil" is the correct term of which you speak.

It has been mentioned that D2 is slightly more brittle than 1095 and so the choil on the folder is not meant to be a wire breaker.

The Izula has one, the Umnumzaan does not.

Will the clip say H.E.S.T. on all of the versions of the folder? If the answer is yes, how will the logo be applied? I'm thinking of using this as my EDC when I have to wear business casual (khakis) and I'm not sure if I want the H.E.S.T. logo to show or not.

Will the clip say H.E.S.T. on all of the versions of the folder? If the answer is yes, how will the logo be applied? I'm thinking of using this as my EDC when I have to wear business casual (khakis) and I'm not sure if I want the H.E.S.T. logo to show or not.

Regardless of how it is applied, I'd imagine some light sanding will take care of it. I'd think anyway.

They look even better than I was expecting.I can't wait to get mine.

Thanks for posting the pics:thumbup:

rob

Yes, they catch alot while cleaning game!

That notch cutout on the blade might be there to give room for that pin when the knife is closed.

I'd prefer the cutout wasn't there at all if it can't be used as a wire breaker, but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

- The knife is scary fast out of the pocket...and it locks in place. This feature was not hyped but its a deal closer when you hold it in your hand. Very impressive in the real world too since a closed knife in a hostile environment is not that useful ;))

That's what I wanted to hear! This feature is hands down the reason I've carried my current knife for so long and the reason I haven't replaced it.

This is the first time I've "stood in line" to buy anything. Let alone such an important and personal item without seeing and touching it... your updates take away any doubts.

Thank you!

"lionsteel rotoblock" - I never knew what that was, thanks for explaining that to me (us).

The pictures of the different styles look awesome! I have a dp version on order but I may have to place another one for the production style. Great Job guys, can't wait to have them in hand!!

the notch on the blade as far as i know can be used as a bottle opener or if you can use it right you can probably wave it out of your pocket for a fast deployment.

I really liked the od green and black blade i hope that is the regular production version i signed up for! that is a great looking knife. : )

The pictures of those look good, BUT. I'm not liking the colors of the Mr. DP shown in these pictures, the one on the www.dpxgear.com website looks much better than the one pictured. The one pictured looks a tad too "dark" to me. The colors are a reverse negative of the colors shown on the mockups. I sure hope they switch them back. If they ship as they are shown, I never would have ordered one of my two as a Mr. DP. Lets hope that gets fixed.

They look good, although I'm hoping the final shipping product will have a bit more "polished look". Not polished as in "shiny", but polished in a more refined final product look. Make sense? (it did in my head).

All and all, they look good (aside from what I've mentioned).

Les.

Last edited:
Very sweet! Me want, me want! Gimme, Gimme, GIMME!

Beautiful work (as always) Jeff, and I am looking forward to replacing my current EDC Kershaw with one.

I am glad I got the sterile version. I hope it ends up just like the picture in this thread.

it was my understanding that the sterile version wouldn't have Mr. DP on the scales.

other than that, time will tell.

the laser engraving on the scales looks better in Jeff's pix than it did on the renders, but that's just me.

The pictures of those look good, BUT. I'm not liking the colors of the Mr. DP shown in these pictures, the one on the www.dpxgear.com website looks much better than the one pictured. The one pictured looks a tad too "dark" to me. The colors are a reverse negative of the colors shown on the mockups. I sure hope they switch them back. If they ship as they are shown, I never would have ordered one of my two as a Mr. DP. Lets hope that gets fixed.

not trying to be a grammar nazi, but "reverse negative" would be back to a positive. yes, i may have spent a pit too much time in the darkroom, seeing what developed. :rolleyes:

i just looked again, and didn't see a render of the version with the engraving on the blade. the DP logo on the scale seems much darker on the render than in the pics of the prototypes, but sometimes renders need to slightly exaggerate subtle features.

if you don't like the black finish on the blade, i think this is going to be one of the coatings that's VERY hard to remove. but you may be able to find someone with a production version and swap blades, or just buy a production version, swap the blade and resell the production one.

dunno, just guessing at this point.

trained sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads will engrave it on each clip (except the sterile ones... clips, not sharks).

i think that's what RYP is doing down in the jungle, training the frickin' sharks! :D

the renders show that the sterile version shouldn't have anything on the clip. IIRC, the clip is Ti, so if you get a version with the engraving on the clip and don't want it, find a gunsmith or someone to bead blast it and it should be gone. you could probably sand it off too.

on my Benchmade AFCK i put some stair tread/skateboard tape on the pocket clip to make it easier to draw. the same trick would work on the HEST/F to cover the engraving.

and your khakis probably have a logo on them, if any of the sheeple in your office ask what HEST means, tell them it's "High Estrogen Survival Training" where you learned to put op with nosy beyotches and how stifle your natural impulses for dealing with situations where people stick their nose into other people's business! :eek:

it was my understanding that the sterile version wouldn't have Mr. DP on the scales.

other than that, time will tell.

the laser engraving on the scales looks better in Jeff's pix than it did on the renders, but that's just me.

To answer your question, no, sterile version will not have Mr. Dp on the handle. Only that proto has it. It comes clean of all logos. Nothing on the blade, nothing on the handle and nothing on the clip. In fact, mr.dp will be removed from regular production version handle as well.
Hope this helps clear few things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back