How do you guys feel about China copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By purchasing this junk, you are rewarding the Chinese companies that steal intellectual property, then shamelessly misrepresent it as their own, or sell it as a knockoff. Such theft costs legitimate business enterprises billions in lost sales every year, and can only be stopped if sensible consumers refuse to buy their junk.

Great post. If people would stop buying these pieces of S**t, they would no longer make them.

I personaly believe that China is waging an economic war with us right now. By purchasing ANYTHING made in China, you are directly aiding the enemy at a time of war. That is treason, plain and simple.

So go buy your made in communist China junk, and carry the burden or being a traitor to your country.

If you like Strider, you might take a look at a Buck Strider, Made in the US, great Buck warranty and it was a collab with Strider, I think they're discontinued, but I usually see them for half the price of the Regular Striders or less. Paul Bos Heat treat too, just like the regular Striders
bu889od.jpg

I wish you had picked a better example. Although all the attributes you mention are 100% true, the Buck
Strider is a total POS. It was discontinued for a reason.

I personaly believe that China is waging an economic war with us right now. By purchasing ANYTHING made in China, you are directly aiding the enemy at a time of war. That is treason, plain and simple.

So go buy your made in communist China junk, and carry the burden or being a traitor to your country.

kinda hard to not buy anything made in china since half of everything is made in the red, to buy everything in usa it would be damn near impossible i think.

I understand that, but why would you add to the mess by purchasing goods made in China that you can just as easily get that are made in the USA?? Matter of fact, there are e-tailors that exclusively sell products that are made in USA.

As difficult as it may be considering the topic, we need to avoid jumping on our political soap boxes. All political discussion belongs in the Political Arena forum. Please dial it down a bit....thanks

Jason

Last edited:
How does this guy feel about China copies? - Wouldn't have one if it were free. Too many nice, inexpensive knives available here to be bothered with them.

i think they have a place and even if we all dont agree... they arent going nowhere, fakes will always be around.
i dont see anything wrong with someone buying a phony hinderer, strider or crk. not everyone can afford it, to each their own.

i personally have not purchased any (although i am a bit tempted) i'd rather save up for the real things.
its like a fake watch, itll never be the real thing and the only person your fooling is yourself.

I don't have a problem with replicated knives. The guy who buys a $30 copy is generally not going to be in the market for $400 knives. However, by buying the replica they can learn something about the design and decide whether they would want to upgrade to the real thing when the knockoff breaks. The replicas are a starting point, not a destination. It is where beginers can go to start learning about knives, and where they will soon learn to appreciate the value of superior materials, manufacturing and finishes.

n2s

It's funny that all the "I only buy American" guys are posting from an electronic device made in China. If Chris Reeve made Sebenzas in Africa or wherever he came from I bet yall would still buy that shit. Or would you associate Africa with black people and say you can get a better knife here, like a Strider :rolleyes:

When they make electronic devices in America, I'll buy one. Until then, your point isn't valid.

It's funny that all the "I only buy American" guys are posting from an electronic device made in China. If Chris Reeve made Sebenzas in Africa or wherever he came from I bet yall would still buy that shit. Or would you associate Africa with black people and say you can get a better knife here, like a Strider :rolleyes:

Well im a "i only buy American" guy and i wouldn't buy a Sebenza from Africa but i wouldnt "associate Africa with black people" like you said. I would associate it with "non American". I consider myself a patriotic consumer. GO AMERICA!

Don't buy copies. Find a nice Kershaw, Spyderco, Buck, or some other knife that you like and get it instead. You'll get a real warranty with real customer service and you won't be supporting thieves.

Frankly, I think the designer fashion, watch, knife, whatever companies create their own misery. They build a business around an aura of exclusivity and uniqueness, tricking people into craving their products just for the image and name. Of course somebody's going to realize that the image and name aren't that hard to copy... and since that's all 99% of exclusive-brand buyers are really looking for (i.e. bragging rights), then ba-da-bing ba-da-bam.

Sure, these companies may or may not make a fantastic product, but most of the price is really that exclusive brand name... so they are basically selling air (their exclusive image). Which is pretty evil, when you think about it; the dark side of Capitalism; the brand worship. Then they get pissed when some smart guy in China sees through the charade and decides to do a little evil himself to make a buck, also feeding on people's brand-worshipping souls. And then those "exclusive" companies expect me to feel bad for them and be morally outraged that they got punked at their own game. Nope. I'm laughing.

This is a different argument but I've read comments on the forum here about how if Spyderco made knives with the same tolerances CRK does they'd cost just about the same. Small companies producing high quality knives with exacting tolerances and excellent materials costs a lot of money. The exclusivity is related to the low production numbers. CRK isn't cranking out 300,000 Sebenzas a year and charging $500 each. They aren't having the parts produced in China and then shipping them to the USA for assembly and stamping a logo on them. They're made in the USA. I do not think the exclusivity is an artificial price inflation associated with the name. The exclusivity is related to the low production numbers and exacting tolerances.

Just received my Ganzo-brand 14205 knockoff in the mail.

It's kind of funny how accurate they made this knockoff...it's got the benchmade style pocket clip, removable thumb studs, and it even came 'benchmade-sharp' out of the box. :p

As far as I can see right now, this is not a bad little knife for 14$ or whatever I paid for it. It's got less blade play than any other axis lock knife I've handled to date, which already puts it one step ahead of the original in my book. Plus, it's surprisingly well machined and doesn't seem to have any hot spots or jagged edges that will turn it into a blister factory. It hasn't even broken an Omega spring yet! I hope to use it soon so I can see how the steel stands up - 8cr13MoV steel has been the main reason I've avoided chinese knives in the past, so It'll be neat to see whether the '440C' label on this knife is true to it's word.

I'd buy this chinese copy again in a heartbeat - for 14$, they seem to have churned out a knife that's better than the original in some ways. :thumbup:

I guess I won't get to experience the glorious 'pride of ownership' feeling you guys mentioned, because I didn't shell out a month's pay for it, but I think I'll get over that. :rolleyes:

Advantages over the American original:
- Has a better lockup
- Costs 10% what the original costs
- Is comfortable
- Don't have to pay 20$ to ship it back to Benchmade if it breaks

Disadvantages:
- Doesn't come in a little faux-silk baggy

Last edited:
That's kinda sad, actually. For that same $14, you could have bought a knife with some integrity.

KershawHalfTon.jpg

Also made in China, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. And it's backed by Kershaw, who nobody can say anything bad about.

Wow, it took me way too long to realize that the majority of the people on this forum/thread have no problem with spending couple hundred on a knife. No wonder this discussion is so one-sided.
===
That's kinda sad, actually. For that same $14, you could have bought a knife with some integrity.
Also made in China, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. And it's backed by Kershaw, who nobody can say anything bad about.
Right, because that Kershaw looks so much like the knife he originally wanted.
Samael, I know what you mean, and I'm not trying to rip on you or anything. It's not about replacing the original (because it can't); it's simply about looking like and feeling the original. The quality of the copy will eventually show itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back