If you are a Knifemaker....then be a Knifemaker

Noone "ran him off"...... nor was anyone made to feel unwelcome. They were and are still welcome to post here as long as they follow the same posted rules as everyone else and act in a civil adult manner.....

If anything is likely to "run people off"...it's the constant bickering and hurt feelings by some members, over clearly posted rules everyone agreed to when registering and have been in place a very long time.

Do you know what I find interesting is that you don't see your own part in that.

Every interaction I read with you appears to me as being argumentative and confrontational

It seems to me that you manipulate threads, splitting them, closing them, and always get in the last word.

I believe that moderators should be less emotionally involved and have the best interests of the Forum at heart.
Some do a really good job.

There was once a huge knowledge base and it is no longer here.
that's a problem because the content is the draw for the rest of us. It's what creates the community

Saying it's not a problem, doesn't make it so.

There's damn few occasions where I see something that surprises me or educates me here.

good post
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-then-be-a-Knifemaker?p=13926776#post13926776

I read the last 5 pages and am confused. can i or can't i post picks of my knives or even WIPs in shop talk.

I will try one more time to explain it...it is really simple:

ANYONE can post photos of a knife they made. ANYONE can talk about the knives they make. Only KNIFEMAKER level members can have any sales related info on their threads or posts. That is links to a home page where they sell knives, talk about selling the knives shown, offers to sell the knife, or talk about the price it is available for. If you make it clear that you sell knives in your profile or threads, then you are a knife seller. If you post photos that are not related to any specific educational purpose ( "My latest knives", "Just finished this one", etc.), it is basically advertising.

WIPs, informative threads ( "This is how I make a take down knife", "Grinding a Perfect Plunge line", etc), or photos of example of knife styles or processes being discussed are fine...just keep all sales talk out of it.

I try to be really lenient and let all gray areas pass by, but if direct selling or sales pitches enter a thread .... from the OP or others, I have no choice but to close it.

I had almost forgot my password because the only time I revisit this forum these days is when I receive a message from somebody that a thread like this has involved my name again. Let me say that the only reason I am posting here is that some revisionist history needs to be cleared up, which is really ironic since all of this forums history is still there in writing; kind of like the mystery of folks not understanding written rules.

Let’s be clear, I was not reprimanded or disciplined in any way, but I broke the rules, rules that I was unaware of due to an absence, but they say ignorance of the law is no excuse. I posted a picture of my work without a paid membership, the knife was sold and I take no orders, but I mentioned that it would be at the Blade show. When I learned of the violation I felt awful as I had never knowingly violated any rule on this forum, and BF still has my most humble apologies for that violation.

I really want it known and on the record that I did not leave because of the rules, I am a big boy and can follow the rules like anybody else. I don’t expect special treatment or anything free and if I feel a forum is worth supporting I will give as much time as I can to it expecting nothing in return. Heck, I don’t even expect thanks or gratitude as it is my choice to contribute. But I do expect to be treated with civility and a modicum of respect and therein lies the real problem.

From 2003 to 2008 I happily posted more information on this forum than any other, those were good times back then, and can safely say I never tried to, or ever did, sell a thing doing it as I feel that is tacky on an educational forum. But then a personal assault the likes of which I have never before experienced began when certain folks decided that my technical posts were a threat that needed to be silenced. This is when I realized how little value my contributions were to the staff of this forum when the endless harassment was allowed to continue for months (posting song lyrics, and pictures of circus freaks is valued contributions? Really?). That final thread was not to inform me of the rules but to launch yet another blast of personal attacks (it has been conveniently edited by those who lack the fortitude to stand by the things they initially wrote). While I did not have a Knifemaker membership, I did pay for a Basic membership in order to give something back, but when it reached the point where I could not participate at all without being attacked I quit paying, just how much should I pay for something I cannot use, or for the privilege of being insulted daily?

Karda, you are being set on pretty hard in this thread and I commend you for your patience, keeping this thread open is a good display of P.R. and listening to the folks. But it pains me to say that I have to get it off my chest that the debated last straw in my departure was unfortunately you sir.

“…I myself find it hard to believe that notable makers with enough money to have a website, attend blade show and other such advertisement do not have a measly $60 to spend on a membership to the largest knife forum on the internet…”
From the final thread in question.

After all the years I spent helping anybody I could on this forum the ultimate insult came from a member of the staff calling me a cheapskate for not buying a membership that I could not even use due to their unwillingness to enforce the rules governing basic decent behavior.

The advertising/membership rules here would not keep me from coming back, the rules are the rules and I wouldn’t have any problem following them. But if you are going to ask me to pay to be someplace you need to offer a place that I would at least enjoy being at. A person is not “thin skinned” for not wanting to hang out in a place where they have to watch their back every minute when they have better things to do, they just have some common sense, or a modicum of self-respect. There are more than a couple of sites out there with a professional enough approach to make it a pleasure to contribute, there you will find me and some of the other guys that are being referred to here.

P.S. in all sincerity please let me know if I have not stripped all inappropriate references from my profile as I am not certain as to how clean I have scrubbed it.

That's how I've been doing it.
I know, you were my example when I suggested that I just close one account, and open an anonymous one so that I could help and not be accused of advertising.
I was told that it's against the rules.

It's too late to become mysterious with my current name, and the things I have posted.
So, there was an impasse...

It's impossible to post regularly, without posting something that possibly runs afoul of what could be construed as advertising.

Even if it's not advertising, and the intent is to help, not advertise.

The mods say that it is OK, and God bless Stacy, he's been good to his word, with me at least.
But the reality is different, and it just becomes more trouble than it is worth, when the only value that you place on it is the self satisfaction of helping.

There are other places where you can still receive that satisfaction, "hey, I helped someone today", and not need moderator migraine medicine.

@Kevin R. Cashen

Lets hope the forum gets lucky and this is the first post of your triumphant return ;0)

I read through a lot of your posts and visitor messages and there seems to have been a lot of good back in the day ;0)

I also have a few Kevin Cashen bookmarks in my web browser. I refer to them often. I do hope you come back Kevin. It seems to be a different vibe in Shop talk these days. I haven't seen any discussions like you experienced back then.
This is when I realized how little value my contributions were to the staff of this forum when the endless harassment was allowed to continue for months (posting song lyrics, and pictures of circus freaks is valued contributions?

From 2003 to 2008 I happily posted more information on this forum than any other, those were good times back then

It's hard to believe a person could put as much of themselves into something as you put into Bladeforums and then just walk away from it.

Those were good times then. You are greatly missed here.

I had almost forgot my password because the only time I revisit this forum these days is when I receive a message from somebody that a thread like this has involved my name again. Let me say that the only reason I am posting here is that some revisionist history needs to be cleared up, which is really ironic since all of this forums history is still there in writing; kind of like the mystery of folks not understanding written rules.

Let’s be clear, I was not reprimanded or disciplined in any way, but I broke the rules, rules that I was unaware of due to an absence, but they say ignorance of the law is no excuse. I posted a picture of my work without a paid membership, the knife was sold and I take no orders, but I mentioned that it would be at the Blade show. When I learned of the violation I felt awful as I had never knowingly violated any rule on this forum, and BF still has my most humble apologies for that violation.

I really want it known and on the record that I did not leave because of the rules, I am a big boy and can follow the rules like anybody else. I don’t expect special treatment or anything free and if I feel a forum is worth supporting I will give as much time as I can to it expecting nothing in return. Heck, I don’t even expect thanks or gratitude as it is my choice to contribute. But I do expect to be treated with civility and a modicum of respect and therein lies the real problem.

From 2003 to 2008 I happily posted more information on this forum than any other, those were good times back then, and can safely say I never tried to, or ever did, sell a thing doing it as I feel that is tacky on an educational forum. But then a personal assault the likes of which I have never before experienced began when certain folks decided that my technical posts were a threat that needed to be silenced. This is when I realized how little value my contributions were to the staff of this forum when the endless harassment was allowed to continue for months (posting song lyrics, and pictures of circus freaks is valued contributions? Really?). That final thread was not to inform me of the rules but to launch yet another blast of personal attacks (it has been conveniently edited by those who lack the fortitude to stand by the things they initially wrote). While I did not have a Knifemaker membership, I did pay for a Basic membership in order to give something back, but when it reached the point where I could not participate at all without being attacked I quit paying, just how much should I pay for something I cannot use, or for the privilege of being insulted daily?

Karda, you are being set on pretty hard in this thread and I commend you for your patience, keeping this thread open is a good display of P.R. and listening to the folks. But it pains me to say that I have to get it off my chest that the debated last straw in my departure was unfortunately you sir.

From the final thread in question.

After all the years I spent helping anybody I could on this forum the ultimate insult came from a member of the staff calling me a cheapskate for not buying a membership that I could not even use due to their unwillingness to enforce the rules governing basic decent behavior.

The advertising/membership rules here would not keep me from coming back, the rules are the rules and I wouldn’t have any problem following them. But if you are going to ask me to pay to be someplace you need to offer a place that I would at least enjoy being at. A person is not “thin skinned” for not wanting to hang out in a place where they have to watch their back every minute when they have better things to do, they just have some common sense, or a modicum of self-respect. There are more than a couple of sites out there with a professional enough approach to make it a pleasure to contribute, there you will find me and some of the other guys that are being referred to here.

P.S. in all sincerity please let me know if I have not stripped all inappropriate references from my profile as I am not certain as to how clean I have scrubbed it.

Mr. Cashen,

As you can see, that statement was not pointed directly at anyone. If you had taken it that way, I do apologize.

You are also welcome to participate at the registered user level as long as your home page listing and any advertising is removed. All it takes is going into your profile settings and removing them the same way as they were put in.

Did you report the posters who were insulting you daily, so that mod staff could act?
I just did a search of your name in the back end and found only one reference and that poster was subsequently banned.

With the large site and limited staff we have, it cannot be expected that moderators will be on top of every post or issue without the help of the members reporting these things, unfortunately many members do not help the community by doing so.

Did you guys know that you can't post ANYONE'S web site that isn't a paying member here?
In other words, if someone needs to buy a piece of unobtainium that is only available from one place-you can't tell them where to buy it unless that place happens to be a PAID member here.
While Stacy has been the consumate gentleman about this, it seems that Bladeforums is less about forums and helping people than it is about profit. I know, Karda- it's the rules. The rules are hard to follow. Bladeforums could be a really nice place without so many rules and moderators who are ever so eager to enforce them. This is why I refuse to buy a membership. I have several forums that were given to me because I try to be helpful and share my knowledge. I certainly don't need to pay to be here. I don't sell anything here, and I have all the business I want. It's just very difficult tiptoeing around all the "rules" here.

Kevin, sorry if I got the story wrong. Not sure how my memory twisted that, but there it is. Good to see you came back to set the record straight.

Karda, I reported that Kevin was being harassed once, even - I don't remember chuck gollnicks response, but it was basically telling me that I was to blame, and that if I didn't cool it off I'd be cited. If you can pull that up, I'd love to re-read it...

We have cleaned up our act considerably in the last couple years. Bad behavior and trolling is not tolerated by the general community and our egos are in check. Shoptalk is not the rude and rowdy place it was a few years ago. Our biggest problem, as I see it, is there isn't much meat left in the soup and we've lost "critical mass". Shoptalk is becoming irrelevant, for a number of reasons, and that really bothers me.

Did you guys know that you can't post ANYONE'S web site that isn't a paying member here?
In other words, if someone needs to buy a piece of unobtainium that is only available from one place-you can't tell them where to buy it unless that place happens to be a PAID member here.
While Stacy has been the consumate gentleman about this, it seems that Bladeforums is less about forums and helping people than it is about profit. I know, Karda- it's the rules. The rules are hard to follow. Bladeforums could be a really nice place without so many rules and moderators who are ever so eager to enforce them. This is why I refuse to buy a membership. I have several forums that were given to me because I try to be helpful and share my knowledge. I certainly don't need to pay to be here. I don't sell anything here, and I have all the business I want. It's just very difficult tiptoeing around all the "rules" here.

I had a forum member 'save' me because, not realizing that I couldn't do this, I posted that a knifemaker supply shop was offering a stupendous deal on belts. That would have given me an infraction, apparently.

Do you know what I find interesting is that you don't see your own part in that.

Every interaction I read with you appears to me as being argumentative and confrontational

It seems to me that you manipulate threads, splitting them, closing them, and always get in the last word.

I believe that moderators should be less emotionally involved and have the best interests of the Forum at heart.
Some do a really good job.

There was once a huge knowledge base and it is no longer here.
that's a problem because the content is the draw for the rest of us. It's what creates the community

Saying it's not a problem, doesn't make it so.

There's damn few occasions where I see something that surprises me or educates me here.

good post
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-then-be-a-Knifemaker?p=13926776#post13926776

It would be nice if members would recognize their own part, also.
The thread I split was so that Hankins original topic could be discussed and Chucks off topic posts which derailed the original discussion could be discussed also...in it's own thread (which should've been it's own thread in the first place).
That same thread was closed due to the poor manners of another poster, who actually could have been banned for his actions. Had I taken that route, we would be having another discussion of how poor staff handles things.

Edited this post.

It wasn't productive.

Is there any way we can speak to someone that might actually help change occur here in a rational fashion, or is it what it is? Are our voices literally going unheard?

That same thread was closed due to the poor manners of another poster, who actually could have been banned for his actions. Had I taken that route, we would be having another discussion of how poor staff handles things.
You could be banned for lying about me in public?

Awesome.

Talk about poor manners...

I would vote for that, as would many others if the amount of emails I have received today are any indication.

Rather than defend yourself when I call you out for being a lying bully, which clearly you are, you just sidestep, and close the thread.

These are not insults, man protected behind a pseudonym, they are just the facts.

I'm sure it unpleasant to read, as it is certainly unpleasant to write, but it's just calling a spade, a spade...

I have no idea who you are, or where you come from, but in the real world, it is ones responsibility to defend himself when another man lies about him.

You lied about me, in a public space, on the largest knife forum in the world.
I am a knifemaker, this is how I make my living.
It would be irresponsible to myself, my family, and my livelihood to not respond.
This is what feeds my children.

Last edited:
Is there any way we can speak to someone that might actually help change occur here in a rational fashion, or is it what it is? Are our voices literally going unheard?

As I previously stated once. If further clarification of the rules is necessary, a thread in service & support to ask the owner for it is the option.
Stacy, I and the other mods have done as much as we can to do so. Spark was aware of this conversation when it originally happened and his response was noted in an another thread and quoted here.

You could be banned for lying about me in public?

Awesome.

Talk about poor manners...

I would vote for that, as would many others if the amount of emails I have received today are any indication.

Rather than defend yourself when I call you out for being a lying bully, which clearly you are, you just sidestep, and close the thread.

These are not insults, man protected behind a pseudonym, they are just the facts.

I'm sure it unpleasant to read, as it is certainly unpleasant to write, but it's just calling a spade, a spade...

I have no idea who you are, or where you come from, but in the real world, it is ones responsibility to defend himself when another man lies about him.

You lied about me, in a public space, on the largest knife forum in the world.
I am a knifemaker, this is how I make my living.
It would be irresponsible to myself, my family, and my livelihood to not respond.
This what feeds my children.

Do you know how to Reply With Quote; who are you talking to?

The rest of your post reads like testosterone-fueled teenager. Puff up your chest and strut. No wonder the place was a permanent argument.

I would close this thread myself, but I think you and a few others enjoy the whining. Include me out.

Fixed it.

Sorry you feel that way Esav.

Not sure how else to handle libelous statements about me though.

I called your man a liar, when he lied about me.

The thread was closed.

What should I do, let the lies sit there publicly, undefended, for posterity?

Back