If you are a Knifemaker....then be a Knifemaker

I'm beginning to believe that the people here aren't looking for a solution. Just looking to pick fights.
No wonder the forum, is in the state it's in.....
I'm only sorry that Stacy has to deal with these behaviors on a daily basis. The man is a saint.

If you all chose your words and actions as carefully as you demand that staff should, perhaps this could be a better place.

Last edited:
maybe someone should get on the stick and start a thread titled "Things I would change about shop talk"

And for the love of pete make sure everyone knows it isn't a discussion thread, or it will likely turn into a steaming heap of bovine excrement ;0)

Gentleman, like many of you, I have refrained from posting for fear of "getting involved." And like many of you I have been around here for a long time and remember the "good ole days" with fondness. I have tried to frequent the other forums but BF is my home. This is where I learned and where I cut my teeth, so this seems to be where I will stay.

I don't currently have a knifemaker membership because I am not selling at the moment. I will upgrade soon though. I am fully convinced that the membership is well worth having and have no problem paying for it in order to sell. Now, that being said, if I didn't need to use bladeforums.com for sales, then I would have no reason to buy the "knifemaker" membership.

Now there are two things that can happen here to resolve this problem:
First, we can keep complaining about the strict interpretation of the rules and lament the loss of those who felt they have been pushed out.
Or second, those of us who are left who once sat at the feet of the great masters, should step up and be the teachers for the next generation.

I know for certain that there is still a lot of talent left here but for whatever reason, that talent is only shown in the For Sale area. The lack of WIP's, How To's, and educational articles is not because of the lack of talent. It is because of the lack of participation by those who are still here, and I'm pointing at myself here.

So my challenge to those who are still left is to step up and take the place of someone who left. Make this the type of place it used to be and can become again.

The thread I split was so that Hankins original topic could be discussed and Chucks off topic posts which derailed the original discussion could be discussed also...in it's own thread (which should've been it's own thread in the first place).
Wow! I responded to Roberts question with on topic posts. Karda responds with posts discussing multiple subjects.

Maybe you should go reread your posts.

Chuck

Are you sure this is a rule?

Chuck

Well...like anything else some flexibility is necessary. For the rest of the site, linking to non-paid dealer sites is considered deal spotting and against the rules. Anyone can take a look around the Shop Talk forum and see this isn't enforced. Makers routinely post links for equipment / materials. Many times these links are to non-supporting dealers. Little is said about this activity unless it directly conflicts with our supporting dealers. They pay to be here and of course we'd like them to get first shot any business. So far there haven't been any complaints.

And the link that Mr. DeShivs is complaining about wasnt in Shop Talk.

Did you guys know that you can't post ANYONE'S web site that isn't a paying member here?
In other words, if someone needs to buy a piece of unobtainium that is only available from one place-you can't tell them where to buy it unless that place happens to be a PAID member here.
While Stacy has been the consumate gentleman about this, it seems that Bladeforums is less about forums and helping people than it is about profit. I know, Karda- it's the rules. The rules are hard to follow. Bladeforums could be a really nice place without so many rules and moderators who are ever so eager to enforce them. This is why I refuse to buy a membership. I have several forums that were given to me because I try to be helpful and share my knowledge. I certainly don't need to pay to be here. I don't sell anything here, and I have all the business I want. It's just very difficult tiptoeing around all the "rules" here.

I've always thought your posts were helpful and have learned some things from you. You're right that you don't need a paid membership since you don't do any business (selling/advertising) here. I'm happy you stick around to share and help.

If you consider yourself a knifemaker, you should take pride in that fact and proclaim it to the world, or at least this forum that you are on. When someone ask me what I do I take great pride in saying I make knives. Its a very specific craft that takes a huge amount of work to accomplish. When you purchase a knifemakers membership its just another step in making this proclamation.
I pay for a dealers membership here on Blade Forums these days but I'll share this with you, I took much more pride in my membership when it stated that I was a knifemaker.
This is a great forum do your part to support it.

Fred

Just to get back on the thread topic I've frequented many forums and out of the many I found one that had a very creative addition. The forum I speak of was Chopcult and they had what they called the blog dump....

http://www.chopcult.com/default.php

This blog dump enabled a steady stream of steady blog posts, some were products that the individual builder fabricated, some were tips and trick, some were tooling reviews, and some were reviews on parts purchased from another builder... I know that this thread is riddled with good ideas, but a platform like this would give a knife maker way more exposure and would give the forum a steady stream of active engaging articles and a lovely accessible platform for makers to market and support the craft. Most importantly it gives the maker his little slice of heaven to call home...

I love reading your ideas guys, lets just hash them out in a civil manner and take the trash talking to PM. It's been stated a couple times that Spark is the only one with the means of changing anything so let's give him something to work with. If he murders it, we're not worse off. I'm sure Spark can see the potential in a good idea as well, if not better than anyone else... throw him something to chew on.... progress, not regress.

Last edited:
Fixed it.

Sorry you feel that way Esav.

Not sure how else to handle libelous statements about me though.

I called your man a liar, when he lied about me.

The thread was closed.

What should I do, let the lies sit there publicly, undefended, for posterity?

None of us (mods) are beyond reproach. If you ever have any trouble with a mod, there are several things you can do. First, PM or email the mod in question and try to work it out. If that doesn't work you can contact another mod and ask them to help sort things out. You can also start thread in Tech Support. We do not move or edit threads questioning a mod's activity...it's out there for everyone to see. Most of us have had threads started protesting one thing or another...big site with lots of personalities. You can also contact Spark directly. Love your pens by the way.

Jason

Last edited:
I'm beginning to believe that the people here aren't looking for a solution. Just looking to pick fights.
No wonder the forum, is in the state it's in.....
I'm only sorry that Stacy has to deal with these behaviors on a daily basis. The man is a saint.

If you all chose your words and actions as carefully as you demand that staff should, perhaps this could be a better place.

What I've read is that some people think the rules are being or have been unevenly or heavy handedly enforced which has negatively impacted forum attendance, while you (and others) don't agree.
I wonder if you think that a solution is possible, given that you don't accept the premise the others are arguing. What do you think Karda?

Please take the time to check out how that forum provides for it's grass roots builders and consumers alike.... Wouldn't streaming your own articles via your own web page be too legit? Why have links to good "how to's" when you can host their means of steady traffic?

None of us (mods) are beyond reproach. If you ever have any trouble with a mod there are several things you can do. First, PM or email the mod in question and try to work it out. If that doesn't work you can contact another mod and ask them to help sort things out. You can also start thread in Tech Support. We do not move or edit threads questioning a mod's activity...it's out there for everyone to see. Most of us have had threads started protesting one thing or another...big site with lots of personalities. You can also contact Spark directly. Love your pens by the way.

Jason
Alas, I have no means of contact other than posting.

PM's, emails, etc.. those things are not available to me.

I did send Karda an email, as I do have his address.

How about this, since all of you mods are clearly looking at this.

Please do something about a "Super" mod lying about me in open forum.

He won't even respond to my accusation.

I am happy to discuss it in private, but then there needs to be a public resolution.

What I've read is that some people think the rules are being or have been unevenly or heavy handedly enforced which has negatively impacted forum attendance, while you (and others) don't agree.
I wonder if you think that a solution is possible, given that you don't accept the premise the others are arguing. What do you think Karda?

The only thing I don't accept is that I or other moderators are completely and solely at fault here.

Believe it or not... Stacy, I and others discussed the matter of memberships before anything was done.
Only private Warnings were issued, along with this thread. Warnings only the recipient can see. Some have complied with the request, Others have not. Some did so without question, others became argumentative and/or rude and/or took their ball and went home. The simple fact is no one was forced to leave.

Last edited:
Alas, I have no means of contact other than posting.

PM's, emails, etc.. those things are not available to me.

I did send Karda an email, as I do have his address.

How about this, since all of you mods are clearly looking at this.

Please do something about a "Super" mod lying about me in open forum.

He won't even respond to my accusation.

I am happy to discuss it in private, but then there needs to be a public resolution.

The only forum function not available to you is PMs. If someone has their email address listed in the their profile, all you need to do is click their name to send them an email. The Tech Support forum is open to anyone. Spark can be reached at Spark@Bladeforums.com

You're not going to get a lot of traction on discussion of any mod in the Shop Talk forum....it simply isn't right place for it and will result in this thread getting closed. If you have a specific problem to address, I've given you several ways to pursue it.

Last edited:
You're not going to get a lot of traction on discussion of any mod in the Shop Talk forum....it simply isn't right place for it and will result in this thread getting closed.

OH my word don't lock the thread, snip the post, lots of people talking here ;0)

OH my word don't lock the thread, snip the post, lots of people talking here ;0)

Yea...good idea. I can pull the posts out and put them in a thread in Tech Support but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

Back