Kershaw Knives News Thread

Ok, so maybe this is crazy but here me out guys. Recently I took the torsion bar out of my Leek to make it a manual. I love this knife even more now. I think it is great except for one small problem. The thumbstud is very uncomfortable. So, this knife has been out for a long time and could use a slight update. I think the Leek, Scallion, and Chive all need to have their thumbstuds refined to be a bit more comfortable. What do you all think?

I think it is the "steps" on the current stud that provide the wear on my thumb. I think something that is more of a straight column with a rounded end would be much more comfortable while still being simple.

The thumbstud is very uncomfortable.
None of my Kershaw's have a thumbstud that serves any purpose other than a blade stop. I was pretty disappointed with the thumbstud on the ZT. My leek and chive are small enough that it doesn't matter to me if I can only use the flipper.

None of my Kershaw's have a thumbstud that serves any purpose other than a blade stop.

My leek and chive are small enough that it doesn't matter to me if I can only use the flipper.

What he said.

Why would you use the thumbstuds when the flipper is available?

I'm not really diggin the flipper love, It's awkward for me, and I have to hold the knife all goofy.

hey pooper, do you have large hands or something? i have pretty large hands and have trouble opening the smaller kershaws (like the baby boa and chive).

None of my Kershaw's have a thumbstud that serves any purpose other than a blade stop. I was pretty disappointed with the thumbstud on the ZT. My leek and chive are small enough that it doesn't matter to me if I can only use the flipper.

Read my post. I said that I removed the torsion bar and the knife is manual now. The Leek flipper only opens the knife like 1/3 of the way in manual mode. I mean, I do sometimes use the flipper along with a wrist flick but I'd like to be able to open the knife both ways with out wearing my thumb away.

I'm not really diggin the flipper love, It's awkward for me, and I have to hold the knife all goofy.

+1
On the little knives, sure, I buy the flipper only. On the zt to pop the blade out I have to have my hand in one position, then quickly readjust my hand to hold the handle. If I were using the thumbstud, I'd be able to open it up with the same grip. No re-positioning.

The zt thumbstud has a flat smooth top. There isn't any grip that your thumb can 'catch' on, and the thumbstud is far too close to the handle to get your thumb between the stud to push it out. I'd modify the surface of the thmbstud, either to have a bit of texture or to change it from flat top to more of an angle, with the lower part towards the handle, angling up towards the motion of the blade opening.
Code:
 __
|  |

To:
 _
| \   <- thumb could catch this.

Perhaps the scales should be modified slightly with a cutout/groove for the thumb instead of going to the hated slanted thumbstuds used in the Storm/Blur?

Perhaps the scales should be modified slightly with a cutout/groove for the thumb instead of going to the hated slanted thumbstuds used in the Storm/Blur?
That's a good idea, and probably easier than trying to grind through a thumbstud without ruining the blade.

Well, I never specified the slanted studs in my original post although I do like them. Actually, what I truly had in mind was something a little more like this:

http://www.knifekits.com/store/s-pages/kk_store_1mainframe.htm?kk_products_folderkits_main.htm~smain

The smaller of the two studs on this page is about the same diameter as the Leek stud and would be much more comfortable on the thumb IMHO. Part of what makes the Leek stud uncomfy is that it feels very sharp and pointy because of the steps on the end. Something in more of a straight cylinder with a slightly rounded end would be great.

Hey guys, let's try to keep this thread limited to past, current, and future Kershaw knives news please! Feel free to start your own thread about thumbstuds, but I'm getting bored. Thanks! :)

Any chance of a s30v/ti leek? (So I don't have to buy both zdp and s3v to swap things around)

Edit:
I was under the impression this thread was for any Kershaw anything, like a dedicated manufacturer forum. I posted this to the toolshed instead of here, but I'd appreciate it if anyone here had any advice or experience (especially Thomas W)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472661

Hate to see a $300 knife dying after a week :/

Edit:
I was under the impression this thread was for any Kershaw anything, like a dedicated manufacturer forum. I posted this to the toolshed instead of here, but I'd appreciate it if anyone here had any advice or experience (especially Thomas W)

I'd like to keep this thread from becoming bogged down with stuff that could be in the Toolshed, Knife reviews & testing, Knife gallery, etc...

If it's occaisionally off-topic, no problem. I'm guilty as well, but I like to keep its posts as much about Kershaw current and future events/knives as possible. Plus, if you have a toolshed/tinkering problem or question about a Kershaw knife, and you post it in that forum with its own thread, your question will have a greater chance of being seen and answered.

I still hope we can get a dedicated Kershaw forum someday!

Nevertheless, Kershaw always stands behind their products, and they will solve your knife problem.

My zt0301 just arrived in the mail and I'm curious: does the torsion bar "rattle" for anyone else? I took it all apart (beautiful and simple!) and it looks fine, but with the blade fully open it definitely rattles around in there. Do I already need new torsion bars?

Thanks!
Diver,
with the titainium laying on its back and the pivot bolt in place (flat side @ 12 o'clock), small washer on, blade on, the big "smiley Face" washer. I have the washer facing so that it is cut out from 2 O'clock all the way around to 9 O'clock
DSCN1161.jpg
[/IMG]

Enjoy

Back