Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Tough question. "I'd hate to bet my life on the difference", as John Wayne said to Dean Martin, regarding Ricky Nelson's shooting skills.

I like the less stabby point and the step down from ricasso to edge on the RH. I also like the RH handle, which I've tried to copy because it feels so good in hand.

I love the Kabar's slightly longer, slightly squarer, less tapered handle, which gives good leverage and fine control, and the slight finger grooves, which tell you where your edge is without dictating your grip. The blade is a little thicker than the RH's, so would theoretically be a slightly wedgier slicer, but enough to feel?

The RH looks broader because of the higher point and the stepped edge, but if you hold them over each other they're the same breadth.

By a hair's breadth, I prefer the Kabar, because that handle is pure brilliance.
In the end, it's your knife in your hand, so if it works for you, it works for me! 😸

Zieg

I got a new one in today that I am immeasurably pleased with.

5Ig9w8m.jpg

Nice Dylan 😎👍

Thank you, Jack!

Padruig, More information about the Fred S.....(?) knife please! John

The maker is Fred Siimes, out of Ontario, Canada. I believe he is a relatively new-to-Bladeforums maker but I've seen a few of his pieces come up and they all look pretty stellar - I decided to try out his work by jumping on this one and I am most pleased with it.

He calls this one a "Lapp-style Hunter" and it has a forged 80CrV2 blade with a stacked birch bark handle and nickel silver furniture. I am a fan of stacked birch bark and this one is no exception - it just melts into your hand. Excellently crafted knife with a very sturdy leather sheath.

Thank you, Jack!

The maker is Fred Siimes, out of Ontario, Canada. I believe he is a relatively new-to-Bladeforums maker but I've seen a few of his pieces come up and they all look pretty stellar - I decided to try out his work by jumping on this one and I am most pleased with it.

He calls this one a "Lapp-style Hunter" and it has a forged 80CrV2 blade with a stacked birch bark handle and nickel silver furniture. I am a fan of stacked birch bark and this one is no exception - it just melts into your hand. Excellently crafted knife with a very sturdy leather sheath.
80CrV2 raises it in my estimation by a couple of notches. Is the blade made by Laurin?

Padruig, Thanks for the update. How long is the handle and the blade? It looks great! John

Sorry, John - I completely spaced responding with measurements earlier. The overall length of the knife is 8 9/16" with a 4 3/8" blade, leaving just north of a 4" handle. It's pretty compact but packs a lot into it - plus the balance is impeccable. For what it's worth, I have pretty big mitts and it still handles very comfortably.

I love it Dylan. Can't beat stacked birch bark. Gorgeous and I really like the extra dark tone.

Thank you, Dwight! I believe he treats it with linseed oil, hence the darkened look. I've included a pic comparing it to an untreated birch bark handle below.

80CrV2 raises it in my estimation by a couple of notches. Is the blade made by Laurin?

I am pretty positive that he made the blade himself but I would have to confirm with him. All I know is that it is indeed a forged blade and it is 80CrV2, which I find to be most excellent - the puukko below is 80CrV2 as well.

GuFC0Xw.jpg

I bought this from my mate, Tool Man, between 5 and 10 years ago. It was included in a load of tools he bought. The O1 blade takes a razor-sharp edge, and it's been a useful knife. Came with a decent sheath too. My mate wouldn't let me give him more than £8 for it :D :thumbsup:

C7IFNti.jpg

This started off as a large square tipped cane machete or something that came in one of the Colombian machete assortments I bought, and I decided to reshape it.

It's still basically just a heavier machete, but now it looks more like a Bowie.
View attachment 1845653
I have thought about maybe rehandling it to really be Bowie like but since the steel doesn't really sing on this one I'm not sure it's worth it.
I have one in the garage that said "bolo machette" on it, with a big round front end (couldn't call it a point). I cropped it like that, and for some reason gave it a two-handed handle.

I have one in the garage that said "bolo machette" on it, with a big round front end (couldn't call it a point). I cropped it like that, and for some reason gave it a two-handed handle.
Funny enough, earlier this week I decided to modify it again this time into more of a bolo type profile, and I rehandled it.

Back