Lets talk GEC!

This was my first. I was late to come over to GEC and traditionals in general.
8PvUP9S.jpg

This was my first. I was late to come over to GEC and traditionals in general.

meow! Compared to most folks, that’s a great introductory knife. Hardly common, great blade combo, really interesting lines and showcases the multi blade functionality of a good traditional.

edit: meow was supposed to be wow, but what the heck- lets let it roll.

Of course that’s your first... #grailknife. Love that.
Thanks, I didn't know at the time how lucky I was.
I was at a gun/knife show looking at a table filled with new GEC knives. I got to handle and inspect a bunch (the pulls on a lot of them were too hard for me, especially the 25s) I saw that Whittler, and really liked it, but I'd never spent more than $50 on a knife before. This one cost almost twice that! The dealer let me trade a Queen I had (that I must admit I wish I still had) plus a bit of cash and I popped my first tube, so to speak. I've since looked up the production totals on GEC's site, and they only made 49 of those in ebony. Grailknife, indeed!

edit: meow was supposed to be wow, but what the heck- lets let it roll.
:D I thought you were being catty. :p

Late to the party. My first GEC was a beer scout in maroon micarta that I sold because I didn’t like patina (now that I understand it better, I enjoy patina).
Was it a tiger stripe effect patina? If so, I may own that now. Can't remeber if I bought it from you or not......

It is big, but it carries nice. It's not like having a 110 in your pocket.
Not good in gym shorts, but it ain't bad in jeans or cargo shorts. Right now I carry my 2 blade 23 more than my other knives
Totally agree with this. Have carried my micarta two blade #23 in front pocket or back pocket of my jeans. It's been fine. Brick in gym shorts though lol.

Came with "BS" metal tag from the barrel hoops.

p4lRnOC.jpg
Thanks a lot for posting this. You answered my question as to the production year. Right at the end of 2016. I started collecting in '17 so I "Missed it by that much!" As Get Smart would say.

My four safe queens. Well I do carry em but on RARE occasions. I just can't put myself to using these ones. And they are in sheaths. Besides the #23 :cool:. All my other GECs are used for what they are intended for.
S0Ed1AI.jpg
Mate they are sensational, we cannot get them over here, so i just have to admire from across the seas.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1396327 View attachment 1396326

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the Beer Scout. I believe, and hope, that we will see it again in all but name. The only problem was the use of the word “Scout.” GEC has every right to make the very same knife with a different name, and why wouldn’t they? It is extremely popular, and they often revisit the 15 pattern.

Someone mentioned the Charred Oak is their favorite. It certainly is mine. If you remember, they surprised us with the Charred Oak at the very end of the run. I called GEC to try to get one. Christine Tucker answered the phone. After saying I could have one, she asked which serial number I would like. Numbers 1 and 2 were reserved for the factory so I took number 3! Things were much easier back then! I sure miss Chris and think of her often. I hope she is okay. Does anyone know how she is doing?

It was the use of "Beer Scout Knife" that raised the hackles of the BSA, not the use of "Scout" alone (GEC ran the sheepsfoot "Scout" with secondary pen and e/o notch back in 2013 with apparently no issues). I would love to see another run of 15 "Scouts" with sheepsfoot and secondary pen and/or crown lifters with e/o notch … joined by the simple Radio Knife with clip blade and crown lifter, no gimmicks, just honest straightforward classics that will stand the test of time:

upload_2020-2-28_10-13-55-jpeg.1292609

Here’s my GEC crew. I didn’t start accumulating knives till November of last year. It’s been quite fun and addictive to learn this niche.

They are ordered left to right by when I acquired them. The 92 was my first - a Christmas present from my father-in-law. He also gave me the 47. The Pocket Carver is the only NIT knife. Still on the fence about keeping it. All the rest are users.

It’s great to see everyone’s collections, even if it’s only a select few!

Was it a tiger stripe effect patina? If so, I may own that now. Can't remeber if I bought it from you or not......

No tiger stripes, just some rainbow coloring and a few pepper spots. It was the pepper spot that irked me until I learned to clean and wipe the blade and not let any moisture linger.

Back