Looking for a good Bowie

Well, our new friend '88 did say

... after realizing I couldn't argue with the logic ...

Ultimately it all comes down to how one defines a Bowie and what they want from it. Is a "Bowie" just a large fixed blade, or is it a knife similar to one used by Bowie? De gustibus.

Those Fallkniven NLs are the dead sexiest knives on the planet in my book, and impeccably built. And this whole "chipping" thing that the yahoos on YouTube have cooked up is a non-issue.

And for the folks playing at home, here's my "nothing at all to do with historical reality" Bowie

LVqXZWB.jpg

Marci, I HATE that stupid looking knife in post 86! :poop: What is it...what is it...I must know! Of course it is so I don't buy one right away. ;)

Marci, I HATE that stupid looking knife in post 86! :poop: What is it...what is it...I must know! Of course it is so I don't buy one right away. ;)

Its a custom Ranger RD Bowie by Justin Gingrich in 5160 with maple burl scales. So don't get one of those.

Well, our new friend '88 did say

Ultimately it all comes down to how one defines a Bowie and what they want from it. Is a "Bowie" just a large fixed blade, or is it a knife similar to one used by Bowie? De gustibus.

Those Fallkniven NLs are the dead sexiest knives on the planet in my book, and impeccably built. And this whole "chipping" thing that the yahoos on YouTube have cooked up is a non-issue.

And for the folks playing at home, here's my "nothing at all to do with historical reality" Bowie

LVqXZWB.jpg

Ab-solutely gorgeous, yes this is the design I think of when I think of "Bowie" but I can't get my mind off those fallkniven NL's. Just what do you think NL1 or NL2? I think the 2 is probably closer to a normal sized Bowie, the 1 is quite large (I'm not a small guy though 6'2 220) I do friggen love the look of that Krut knife as well, its just too similar in size to my Winkler to me to buy it.

Also please call me Jack, some idiot on another forum got in their head the 88 was a Nazi reference and I didn't hear the end of it for almost a year, I'm not a Nazi just a fan of my old high school football number...

Ab-solutely gorgeous, yes this is the design I think of when I think of "Bowie" but I can't get my mind off those fallkniven NL's. Just what do you think NL1 or NL2? I think the 2 is probably closer to a normal sized Bowie, the 1 is quite large (I'm not a small guy though 6'2 220) I do friggen love the look of that Krut knife as well, its just too similar in size to my Winkler to me to buy it.

Thanks. NL1 or NL2? You gotta decide that one. (I have been lusting after the Frej for years).

Seriously, I turned on the @Mikael W -signal...he is "the man" when it comes to Fallknivens...hopefully he turns up. Get his take before you move on one.

Thanks. NL1 or NL2? You gotta decide that one. (I have been lusting after the Frej for years).

Seriously, I turned on the @Mikael W -signal...he is "the man" when it comes to Fallknivens...hopefully he turns up. Get his take before you move on one.

Excellent, I appreciate the help! I'm anxiously awaiting a Mauno Keränen Tommi to show up on my doorstep today, so that is keeping me busy! This tropical storm is keeping all the helos on the deck so no flying for me the next few days..

Western 46-8

Western W49 with the Bagwell Mods done

('06 brass for scale)

Ontario Bagwell Helle's Belle

Bought all three of those here at the bf.c for sale sub forum.
Good deals if you are patient.

2 Customs for now...

Livesay Sandbar Bowie #13

PJ Tomes MS San Francisco Price style bowie...

OK... one more ;) :)
Ben Browning forged recurve...

Western 46-8

Western W49 with the Bagwell Mods done

('06 brass for scale)

Ontario Bagwell Helle's Belle

Bought all three of those here at the bf.c for sale sub forum.
Good deals if you are patient.

2 Customs for now...

Livesay Sandbar Bowie #13

PJ Tomes MS San Francisco Price style bowie...

OK... one more ;) :)
Ben Browning forged recurve...

You win the competition of the Bowies Have been lurking there a bit

I had a Fallkniven NL1 and sold it, as it was a great chopper, yet very blade heavy, and the handle shape was hard for me to hold onto under heavy use.
Here is my Ontario Marine Bowie, after I reshaped the blade. It takes a very sharp edge and holds it well under heavy use.

You might consider the early Western W49 bowies, which are Jeremiah Johnson (movie version) style. the Bark River Michigan Bowie is an excellent example of an American bowie and is of excellent quality. Their Teddy, and their Custom 8.5" Bowie with the sabre handle (if you can find one) are interesting as well. I have several Bark Rivers, all hunting sizes, and their convex grind and A2 steel holds an edge well. I am very pleased with their quality and performance. Virtuovice on youtube has reviewed a number of Bark River hunting knives, among others.

Last edited:
I had a Fallkniven and sold it, as it was a great chopper, yet very blade heavy.
Here is my Marine Bowie, after I reground the blade. It takes a very sharp edge and holds it well.

You might consider the early Western W49 bowies, yet the Bark River Michigan Bowie is an excellent example of an American bowie and is of excellent quality.

What did you find wrong with the Fallkniven? It is listed at 17oz which is light for a blade it's size. The Bark River Michigan bowie is in a close second place atm.

two things; the balance was in front of the guard, so was blade heavy, fine for a camp knife yet not what I wanted in a Bowie. I prefer a balance point at the guard, as it makes the knife work much better, and is faster in everything but chopping; and the NL1 straight handle is hard for me to hold on to when swinging it under heavy use. Some type contouring of the handle, or a pommel works better for me. Could be the NL2 would balance better. Bowie was initially a fighting knife, and as such needed to be "fast in hand" which is about weight and balance. Some Bowies have evolved now into camp knives and even choppers.

If you like the NL2, you might also check out the Sheffield Bowies. Reg Cooper has an excellent reputation,
http://www.steelcitycutlery.com/cut...cts_id=7454&osCsid=jgvll5naf67mig4gr43kksbn16

as does J Nowill who has been in business since about 1700 and offers 6, 8, 9, and 10 inch blades in carbon steel. I have one of theirs in 6", and it is superb.

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/4-51.html

My friend has had a Trailmaster by Cold Steel since they were first made, and he has put his thru hell. It has never failed him, and is one tough knife.

Another custom maker you might consider is Ruana, discussed here on the Forum, tho, as they say around here, they is pricey!!
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ruana-knives.716001/

Last edited:
If you are not going to chop, the Laredo & Natchez are nice blades, have great balance & feel fast-light for their size.
IMAG0447_zps64k73gzs.jpg

two things; the balance was in front of the guard, so was blade heavy, fine for a camp knife yet not what I wanted in a Bowie. I prefer a balance point at the guard, as it makes the knife work much better, and is faster in everything but chopping; and the NL1 straight handle is hard for me to hold on to when swinging it under heavy use. Some type contouring of the handle, or a pommel works better for me. Could be the NL2 would balance better. Bowie was initially a fighting knife, and as such needed to be "fast in hand" which is about weight and balance. Some Bowies have evolved now into camp knives and even choppers.

If you like the NL2, you might also check out the Sheffield Bowies. Reg Cooper has an excellent reputation,
http://www.steelcitycutlery.com/cut...cts_id=7454&osCsid=jgvll5naf67mig4gr43kksbn16

as does J Nowill who has been in business since about 1700 and offers 6, 8, 9, and 10 inch blades in carbon steel. I have one of theirs in 6", and it is superb.

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/4-51.html

My friend has had a Trailmaster by Cold Steel since they were first made, and he has put his thru hell. It has never failed him, and is one tough knife.

Another custom maker you might consider is Ruana, discussed here on the Forum, tho, as they say around here, they is pricey!!
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ruana-knives.716001/

Hmm you're the first person I've seen say the balance was off, usually reviewers say the opposite. The NL2 does look more like a traditionally sized Bowie, I mean the NL1 is massive.

Have looked at Sheffield's, they have a long history of making the knives.

Ruana is more than I would want to spend on a knife, I'll put that much towards my guns but not knives.
If you are not going to chop, the Laredo & Natchez are nice blades, have great balance & feel fast-light for their size.
IMAG0447_zps64k73gzs.jpg

I like that Natchez, has a wicked tip and the handle looks as if it would be more secure. I know everyone likes those Busse's but they just look large and unwieldy to me.

Back