Lost in the woods - Pick one of these knives!

I think I would go with the Rucksack because of its size and locking blade. It has all that the farmer has to offer, plus size. To be fair, you just cant beat a 110. My vote is still for the SAK.

I'd vote the Para. What do you need a saw for?

If you want to make a fire, there'll be plenty of deadfall around.

And if you're lost, your main object is to be rescued, or to find your way again.

I wouldn't spend my time sitting around sawing a bunch of wood to build a log cabin or something.

I personally think the Para is the best knife Spyderco ever made. ;)

I'd take the 110. Strong, dependable and the most cutting edge of the 3. The para would be a close second.

Spyderco Paramilitary - S30V plain edge
Buck 110 - 420HC Edge 2X
Victorinox Farmer - includes woodsaw

These are three of my favorite knives. I've never been able to decide which one I'd like to find in my pocket if I was lost in the woods. Thought I'd get a collective opinion. :D

All things considered like resharpening without modern sharpeners, handle comfort, multi-function, etc.

Thanks for your input! :thumbup:

If you're lost in the woods, where do you do your picking from?

Skinny,

Who said anything about being lost and then picking? :p ;) :thumbup:

Current tally:
Paramilitary - 11 (12%)
Buck 110 - 20 (22%)
Vic Farmer - 59 (66%)

MSRP:
Paramilitary - $190
Buck 110 - $62
Vic Farmer - $40

:confused:
Just a side note....

The MSRP for the Buck 110 might be $62.00 dollars, but you can get one at Walmart for about $30.00 dollars. ;)

Also, IMHO, the biggest disadvantage of the Farmer is the small handle.
It's simply not as comfortable to use as the Buck 110 and it causes "hand fatigue" much quicker.
And of all three knives, the Farmer would be the worse to have if one was forced to use it for self-defense against a wild animal (or another person).

I think the old tried and true Buck 110 would be my choice. It could be used as a hammer because of it's size and sturdiness, as well as ease of sharpening.

All it takes is pocket lint to easily defeat the 110's lock! Believe me, I know. Can't say the same for the Farmer or the Para.

Buck 110 + leather belt sheath = zero lint. ;)

But even if you carry the 110 in your pocket, all you have to do is give the lock notch a quick glance to see if it is filled with lint.
Or you can just listen and feel....if you don't hear that crisp snap and feel the blade lock up tight, then you know that the lock is not as it should be.
And you can easily remove any lint or dirt with your shirt-tail or a twig.

I would choose the Buck 110.

Very reliable.
Excellent at cutting.
Strong as any folder needs to be.
Time proven track record.
Extremely comfortable handle for long term cutting.
Easy to sharpen on nearly any stone.
Very rust resistant too.

Everything you've said is applicable to the other two knives FYI :p

Everything you've said is applicable to the other two knives FYI :p

I respectfully disagree...

Very reliable.
Excellent at cutting.
Yes, this certainly applies to all three knives.

Possibly, but the Farmer is definitely not as strong as the other two knives as it has thinner blade-stock.

Yes for the 110 and the Farmer, but not for the Para-military.
Compared to the 110 and the Farmer, the Para is still wet behind the ears.
I'm not sure when Victorinox first released the Farmer, but I think it's based upon the Pioneer model....and the Pioneer model with the aluminum alox scales and stainless steel blades has been around probably at least since the 1950's.
And the Buck 110 has been around since 1967.
But IIRC, the Para-Military made its debut in Spyderco's 2004 catelog, so it's only been around for about four years.

Again, no....the Farmer can't even come close to the 110 in this category.
And I find the pocket-clip of the Para to greatly reduce the comfort when doing long-term or hard cutting.
The 110's handle is simply outstanding for long hard use.

No, I think that the harder blade-steel of the Para is certainly more difficult to sharpen than the softer blade-steels of the Farmer and the 110....especially when just using an improvised whet-stone found in the woods.

Very rust resistant too.
But I'm not so sure about the Para....with its steel liners it has alot of steel surface area.

Last edited:
Paramilitary just cause im so used to handling that knife. But an even better option would be the military for the woods.

I respectfully disagree...

Possibly, but the Farmer is definitely not as strong as the other two knives as it has thinner blade-stock.

Not as strong as the others, but as strong as it needs to be, by your own words. Unless you have tasks you do with your Spydercos and 110's you wouldn't do with the Farmer, in which case I'd like to hear them. Depending on how you define strength I would argue the Farmer is superior, because for example the saw can cut through PVC pipe better than the 110 can, the bottle opener will pry better than the Para etc.

Yes for the 110 and the Farmer, but not for the Para-military.
Compared to the 110 and the Farmer, the Para is still wet behind the ears.
IIRC, the Para-Military made its debut in Spyderco's 2004 catelog, so it's only been around for about four or five years.

In those five years has there been any complaints of the Para beyond minor lock issues like vertical play or a sticky lock bar? I'm not aware of any. It seems to have a solid, time-proven track record based on the feedback of the knife. Not as long of a track record as the 110, but long enough for me. Also, consider the 110 they sell today was changed as recently as 10 years ago, and isn't exactly the same as the original.

No, the Farmer can't even come close to the 110 in this category.
And I find the pocket-clip of the Para to greatly reduce the comfort when doing long-term or hard cutting.
The 110's handle is simply outstanding for long hard use.

Ergos are largely subjective so I won't spend long here. The Farmer works great for me, long term included. Your comparison of the Para and 110 isn't fair. Take the clip off the Para then compare them. I find the Para more comfortable but for extended, heavy cutting the Buck does well, as grips not designed around a 50-50 choil generally work better for me when cutting for long periods of time.

No, I think that the harder blade-steel of the Para is certainly more difficult to sharpen than the softer blade-steels of the Farmer and the 110....especially when just using an improvised whet-stone found in the woods.

Sure, S30V takes longer to grind than 420HC, but it's not anything I'd consider "difficult" to sharpen. I can put a fresh edge on my Para with my DMT fine stone in under 20 seconds, one capable of whittling hair. That's not hard. When using a random stone from a creekbed or whatnot I can take a dulled edge to serviceable condition in under a minute. I don't consider that hard either. What do you define easy as?

Very rust resistant too.
But I'm not so sure about the Para....with its steel liners it has alot of steel surface area.

Buck 110's get tarnish on the brass if you even take them out of the clamshell :p

I've never had my Spyderco liners corrode except when sweat got trapped in between the liner and G10 scale of my Cara Cara. Came off easily with some sandpaper.

The blade steel, S30V, has shown excellent corrosion resistance.

This one; not because it's a better all around knife then the other two but because it's a better survival knife.
019-1.jpg

Last edited:
One more vote for the Buck 110.

A splinter picker tip as on the Para is not needed and could be a liability where strength is concerned.

A strong lock is mandatory for safety concerns, as an accident in the woods could be fatal. Exit the Vic.

A comfortable grip helps to prevent friction sores, which are a liability in a survival situation.

The 110 has been proven in the woods over the years as a strong and reliable knife.

Back