"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Beautiful Rodgers Campbellclanman, they have that "specialness" (I've made it a word..)
Have you or would you sharpen the straight razor and use it?
I have my Grandfathers given to me by my Father lately and I'm giving the thought a twirl.
I stropped an old razor the other day, didn't take long :thumbsup:

Does this one qualify within the time frame??

equx24.jpg

dZyyU1.jpg

OuNJHM.jpg

Beautiful Rodgers Campbellclanman, they have that "specialness" (I've made it a word..)
Have you or would you sharpen the straight razor and use it?
I have my Grandfathers given to me by my Father lately and I'm giving the thought a twirl.
My friend - probably not, If I see a nicer Cut Throat I will pick it up - but probably would not use it - it would take a bit of practice- and once I got good enough I probably won’t have any features left on my face 😂

Does this one qualify within the time frame??

equx24.jpg

dZyyU1.jpg

OuNJHM.jpg
I'd imagine it may do Gonzalo but someone more qualified will confirm.
Thats a nice stout knife, lovely tang stamping/handle and full blade. Use it!! :)
My friend - probably not, If I see a nicer Cut Throat I will pick it up - but probably would not use it - it would take a bit of practice- and once I got good enough I probably won’t have any features left on my face 😂
I think that's exactly it:) Practising on your face with a an edge like that is what I refer to as a steep learning curve haha.
Have never used one and as a kid I'd freeze when I'd see the barber produced one.

Jack did you use the one you stropped up? Must have a shot off my Grandfather's...

Jack did you use the one you stropped up? Must have a shot off my Grandfather's...
I did, and it gave a nice shave, being very light in the hand. I have about a dozen straight razors, but have only ever shaved with three of them, and I haven't done it often. It's worth trying though I think - with care obviously! :eek: Plenty of good instructional videos on YouTube, and there's even a sub-forum here if you want advice :thumbsup:
Thank you for your answer! Dating a knife has always been tricky for me.
It's tricky for anyone who has any sense :) That's a nice Thomas Turner, the presence of which I think is legitimate in this thread ;) :thumbsup:

Lot's of lovely old knives posted lately. I also really like the Sheffield knives with deep blade stamps, Joseph Rodgers, Encore, Defiance etc. Very interesting discussion on pattern names as well, it can be a confusing topic. I used to be much more of a stickler for names, but, have softened my views lately. Thanks to all who contributed information.

Not a lot left but so much done! Think of what it's seen and where its been...
Queen Vic so a potential oldie too.

I did, and it gave a nice shave, being very light in the hand. I have about a dozen straight razors, but have only ever shaved with three of them, and I haven't done it often. It's worth trying though I think - with care obviously! :eek: Plenty of good instructional videos on YouTube, and there's even a sub-forum here if you want advice :thumbsup:

It's tricky for anyone who has any sense :) That's a nice Thomas Turner, the presence of which I think is legitimate in this thread ;) :thumbsup:
Had a look there and they are German, pretty decent with full blades. Must read up on how best to sharpen them. Maybe then chance my face;)

Had a look there and they are German, pretty decent with full blades. Must read up on how best to sharpen them. Maybe then chance my face;)
That's a really interesting old knife Ed, what does it measure?

Should hone nicely :) Shave some arm hair before you try them on your face :thumbsup:

That's a really interesting old knife Ed, what does it measure?

Should hone nicely :) Shave some arm hair before you try them on your face :thumbsup:

I assumed quill knife?
Was there ever a specific reasoning for opposing the colours on pile vs mark sides Jack?

Humphreys Radiant. Great history to this company imo, been on the look out for another.
A smarter man than me reckoned the "Cutlery Co Sheffield" is a partial stamp of Pratical Cutlery Company Sheffield operating as blade factors in nearby Eyre Square to them.
For comparison here it is with my recent Harrison Brothers and Howson and the other Humphreys I'm minding.

One of the Old School for sure being Victorian. Interestingly, it could be a Quill type knife by the look of it but even then it was something of an anachronism as metal nibs had displaced quills. With regard to the difference of scale colour: hard to say, it being Stag there are inevitable differences anyway. But the markedly lighter colour may suggest, exposure to cleaning solvent or chemicals that have accidentally/on purpose leached out the colour. Or less likely, extremely prolonged exposure to sunlight on one side only that dried and bleached it. Rather unlikely that it had this disparity when new, but being old and well worn, who can tell?

Very nice item, you seem to have access to many interesting examples.

Thanks, Will

One of the Old School for sure being Victorian. Interestingly, it could be a Quill type knife by the look of it but even then it was something of an anachronism as metal nibs had displaced quills. With regard to the difference of scale colour: hard to say, it being Stag there are inevitable differences anyway. But the markedly lighter colour may suggest, exposure to cleaning solvent or chemicals that have accidentally/on purpose leached out the colour. Or less likely, extremely prolonged exposure to sunlight on one side only that dried and bleached it. Rather unlikely that it had this disparity when new, but being old and well worn, who can tell?

Very nice item, you seem to have access to many interesting examples.

Thanks, Will
Hey Will,
I see some examples in the first 100 pages of this thread which are breathtaking. The humble assortment I'm minding pales in comparison.
Re the colour difference between mark/pile I think it's intentionally done but am open to correction!
I have quite a few examples from Rodgers, Wade Wingfield and Rowbotham, Turner and others where the mark side is pale, especially so when it comes to ivory. The pile side being a warmer pick and mark side being pale. It does make sense in what you say as to how it might be that way but seems manufactured that way to my eye.
As misplaced as this notion is I always feel its kind of like yin/yang thing.

The Rodgers quill knife does seem to carry substantial age to it. Zero snap to it but is still a lovely user.

Last edited:
You might well be right about the colouration, perhaps it was the style at the time ? Sometimes scales may be shaped on the pile side to accommodate the palm more e.g. thicker Stag slabs.

You might well be right about the colouration, perhaps it was the style at the time ? Sometimes scales may be shaped on the pile side to accommodate the palm more e.g. thicker Stag slabs.
I'm not sure Will and am still learning as I go but seems a design feature. Would just love to understand the thinking behind it better, if indeed I'm correct:)

Another nice little fella from Mister Turner. I like small knives and also like that this one has Suffolk Works tang stamped. None of my others have.

The part of the blade that meets the spring had deformed allowing it to over extend when open. Gave it a broke back look. Careful use of soft jawed vice, punch and small hammer fixed it. I'm anal I suppose.

As the thread is quiet I might dare to waffle on further and introduce ye to this bigger fella.

Yes I'd say you could!
It well made and has an earthy feel. Shame somone introduced it to compound and mop at some stage.

Horticultural persuits shall be carried out between this and my WW&R pruner.
Lovely thin grinds (shave worthy) and very hard steel on the file.

You can't stop me now....

Last edited:

Also inherited this Nest Knife. Cool to have from a deeply loved uncle. Still need to remove the active rust, but will preserve all of the patina.

View attachment 1681609View attachment 1681594View attachment 1681596
View attachment 1681598
Nice knife and love the hobo JG Graves. I'd gladly add that to my bike camping kit.

Back