Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

I would not want to send off a new toy in the mail and wait for it to do a round trip, and possibly get one even worse.
It's your money but I never understand people sending things back for minor stuff. You could put the blade in a vice and torque the handle a bit and straighten it out, that one degree it's off or whatever.

I would not want to send off a new toy in the mail and wait for it to do a round trip, and possibly get one even worse.
It's your money but I never understand people sending things back for minor stuff. You could put the blade in a vice and torque the handle a bit and straighten it out, that one degree it's off or whatever.

It's more than one degree off, I don't consider that minor. If it had a defect I considered minor I would keep it. I also don't have a vice. And the cool thing about where I ordered this from is that they ship out a new one as soon as you file a return request, so the other one will be here tomorrow. If I don't like that one I can just get a refund and send it back too.

That's pretty quick, not used to that here. One week each way, at least. I have seen people send knives back with the blade coating slightly marred, on a cheap cold steel knife. I would hate to see these people in a restaurant.

That's pretty quick, not used to that here. One week each way, at least. I have seen people send knives back with the blade coating slightly marred, on a cheap cold steel knife. I would hate to see these people in a restaurant.

Something like that I wouldn't bother with. I had a CS bowie bushman and the pocket on the sheath had torn out on the bottom, I didn't bother to return that one I just cut the pocket off.

Here is my take on Norse Hawk.

axe_01.jpg

axe_02.jpg

axe_03.jpg

inlaid malachite

axe_04.jpg

axe_05.jpg

axe_06.jpg

My first attempt on tooling leather.

axe_07.jpg

axe_08.jpg

axe09.jpg

Here is my display box. :)

axe10.jpg

axe_11.jpg

I got my replacement pipe hawk today. The bit on this one is canted also and the head is actually loose! if it wasn't for the set screw the head would fall off. That would be something I would fix if it not for the bit. I can't believe they would ship one like that. I'm going to return this one too and just get a refund and maybe spring for something a little bit higher quality.

It's a CS tomahawk, the head is suppose to be loose to an extent. The point of the CS hawk is to work them into something they're not - it's a blank canvas. Work the haft, sand it, shape it properly and you'll see that you can get the head nice and snug. I strongly doubt it would just "fall off", centrifugal force is a wonderful thing!
Remember you're paying about $30 for it, don't expect it to be perfect...

It's a CS tomahawk, the head is suppose to be loose to an extent. The point of the CS hawk is to work them into something they're not - it's a blank canvas. Work the haft, sand it, shape it properly and you'll see that you can get the head nice and snug. I strongly doubt it would just "fall off", centrifugal force is a wonderful thing!
Remember you're paying about $30 for it, don't expect it to be perfect...

I know all about the CS hawks and how to fit the head. If it weren't for the canted bit I would have kept it because I can fit the handle to the head. But this head was wobbling when I got it, it was literally only held on by the set screw. For the casual people that buy these just to goof around with them and aren't going to do any work on them the loose head would be an issue. CS can't assume everyone that buys their hawks is going to take it apart and actually work on it.

The real issue for me is the defect in the bit. It's not something I can fix and I don't feel like living with it. I'm just trying to give guys a heads up before they strip one down and get to the point of no return only to find a defect. If you don't have a problem with an issue like that then cool. I do so they go back. I said before I don't expect perfection, they have plenty of issues I can live with.

Here is my take on Norse Hawk.

axe_01.jpg

http://www.cubefx.com/smart/axe_06.jpg[/

[IMG]http://www.cubefx.com/smart/axe_08.jpg

That is TO COOL. That's spectacular! Hats off to you!!! I'm doing a Norse next and ill be thinking of that one. Great Great job!

That Norse hawk there is in first place, cubefx! The other end of the spectrum from stripping the head and cord wrapping the handle.

Beautiful workmanship on the hawk in metal and wood. Your leather work is stunning also...

What's up with the Zombie stuff? It just doesn't seem to fit with your hawk.

Tom

Nope, NOT a cold steel. A buddy of mine picked that up in the 90's from a ren faire blacksmith, and had to get rid of it when he moved. He called it a viking raider axe. It had a lovely cherry composite (read: layered) wood handle, but it dried out so much over the years that the head worked its way off. So now I've got an oak 2"x2" I'm shaping into a friction handle like the cold steel hawks. I'm going to give the acid etching trick a try on this one, I think.

Back