Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

20130814_145729_zpsac36a8cd.jpg

20130814_145419_zps732b6ae7.jpg

20130814_145411_zps47f3146c.jpg

My trail hawk so far
stripped the head and boiled in in vinegar for about an hour i tried wrapping it in a vinegar soaked towel and it just wasn't darkening like i wanted it to so i boiled it
then sanded the head a bit with 220 sand paper
stained the handle in minwax red oak
i fitted the head and it gets tight but after a few whacks into a log the head gets loose
i threw out the set screw and used my dremel to bevel out the head
any advice on fitting the head better?

Last edited:
What have you guys been using to sharpen it? I heard it comes pretty dull.

It does come pretty dull, but sharpens up really nice. I use sand paper and strop when done. It's scary sharp now and can slice or push cut with the best of my knives!!

I used an angle grinder with a 180 grit flap disc for the reprofile! then took it to stones like a knife for that barf inducing edge.

You can use a file though, and sand paper to get the same result - obviously it'll take longer but it isn't difficult, just a little time consuming. :)

I used an angle grinder with a 180 grit flap disc for the reprofile! then took it to stones like a knife for that barf inducing edge.

that's a bit over kill, it would be very easy to grind to much. But if it works, it works

I haven't been following your post, as it progressed, as I just joined the forum. None the less, you have come up with a very nice and interesting look with your "CS Trail Hawk",... In my eye's, it lends to a some what military look.
I have carried and used tomahawks for dozens of years in throwing competition and use in packing into the woods. One thing for sure is that after a few trips into the woods, they never look like they do on that first day right out of the box, or as they do the day they are finished from the modification(s).
I would always take the brightness out of a new hickory handle with a good oil stain,... not so much as a fashion statement, but rather to help to protect the wood handle from the elements.
As far as the head goe's,... I always leave them in the white (the natural metal finish), as they will darken with age and use. If I put anything on them, it would be a very light coat of linseed oil. You will always scratch the head of up, no matter what type of coating that you use,... as the only way to keep them shinny bright is to hang it on the wall to look at. Even then, a good carbon steel will gather rust (depending on where you live and what the climate is like).
None the less, you have put a labor of love into your tomahawk, it looks great, keep up the good work!

Sorry folks, some how my post ended up on the other side of the world,... well maybe not that far, but far enough away from it's intended party as to make all f you wonder what the h--l is this guy posting about or to,... Sorry, a newbie here!

Not a trail hawk or anything from CS, but a fireman' s hatchet I stripped, forced a patina, and stained.

I'm thinking of buying a CS spike hawk! If I do I will be removing that spike and leaving a hammer section.

Why not just buy the pipe hawk (one might say)?

Well, after inspecting images of both, the spike ahwk looks much easier to choke up on and use to carve - io.e it's primary job once in my hands!

I know the heads are rather long and don't allow for the best carving, but I can't resist a project! :)

Anyone else done this?

This is what I've come up.. on paint! lol

As you can see the spike's been removed and the handle shortened, I couldn't add the other ideas as my photoshop/paint skills are weak.

I'm thinking of a blade strip and polish, then a deep blue aswell. And a textured handle, lanyard hole and some rustic leather work to keep it safe.

I'll keep all updated! :)

I just found this photo I took of my trail hawk befoer any modding took place. Without even a sharpen mine was a good cutter, but of course it was far superior once I went to town on it! ;)

Back