Name-A-Knife Contest

The Chameleon is already a knife by Gerber.
Here's some of my names, hope none have been taken:
Hsuang Lung (Mandarin for double dragons).
Siren.
Medusa.
Damasca
smile.gif

Kaleidoscope (yeah, I know, dumb one).
Cupid.
Centaur.
Minotaur.
Dionysus (sp?)
Odysseus
Titania
smile.gif

Leviathan.
Mercury.
Shen Dao (miraculous knife)
smile.gif

Heracles.
Mars (too martial, maybe?)
Scorpio. (or Scorpion).
Poseidon.
Like I said, if any are repeats, sorry. The thread is very long.
Jim

I like Gemini, but it was already suggested. How about Hydra, Kenshi (Expert Swordsman), Nova, Astra, Alpha or Evolution?

How about:

Teres
Finis
Mentis
Animus
Tongari

Just thought I'd add my share.. more to come.

--
Shawn
"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."

Here are my thoughts:

"Variation" since each one will be different

"Venture"

"Alliance" since there are two different makers.

Thanks,
Rich

My first choice would be "Stormbringer" (also happens to be my dogs name)

Second Choice would be "Beowulf"
The legendary hero of an anonymous Old english epic poem.

Or maybe "Grendel"
Beowulfs adversary, a monster / demon.

All good choices of course. Thanks!

Concord - harmonious agreement of ideas or feelings, also the MA town where the second battle of the American Revolution was fought.

Concorde - same thing, in French, and the world's first SST.

Concordance would also work, if you don't want folks thinking of the town or the plane.

Did you have any idea you'd get this many responses?
wink.gif
Online folks got waaay too much time, and everybody wants a knife.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

How about:

Solar
Scout
Tau
Tao
Gamma
Tangent
Ambassador
Demon
Damon
Asterick
Sundance
Dragoon
Delta

Can you tell I really want to win this knife?

I'll try again with my unsuccessful entry from a recent Microtech "name the knife" contest . . .

Tengu

I don't know if the unseen new knife says "work" or "defense" or both - probably depending on the beholder, but both makers have a history of martial arts oriented designs. Here's the historical/legendary reference on Tengu, from The Samurai, a Military History by S. R. Turnbull, page 61:

Not surprisingly, the young Minamoto, with much military tradition in his blood, did not take kindly to monastic discipline, and tutored himself secretly in the martial arts. Legend tell us that Yo****sune's instructors in the ways of sword-fighting were the 'tengu', small goblins - half men and half bird - who inhabited the mountains. You****sune used to slip out of the monstery at night and fence with these talented creatures. The tengu found him to be a promising pupil, and taught him numerous cuts and guards with te sword, as well as the use of a war-fan for defense, and, stranger still, how to fight with a tea-kettle!

Here's a link to an illustrated article on the tengu: wynn.molgen.gla.ac.uk/DCstuff/clans/tengu.html

And another: www.matsubayashi-ryu.com/articles/tengu.html

The Tengu are not exactly benign creatures in Japanese legend, but they seem to be more inclined to mischief than mayhem, and bird-like martial artists may relate to the quick bird-like motion of the deployment of a one-hand folder.

The forum's auto-censor takes esception to the Japanese hero's name, so I'll try separating the sylables: Yo-shi-tsu-ne.
redface.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 21 June 1999).]

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 21 June 1999).]

Allen,

Before you actually pick any name let me do a trademark search for you (FREE of course) this way you do not get into an embarassing situation which happened to Microtech recenetly.

Here are a few from me
Shihan - Japanese for "Master"
KIAI - The word KIAI is composed of two Japanese words: Ki (energy) and Ai (to meet with). Together these two words indicate that when a karateka uses a Kiai, energy is transferred with the strike.
Sempai - High grade student or head of class.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

The most fitting name for a knife made by the two finest makers on the planet, this masterpiece is destined to be a "LEGEND".

In case you don't like that one...here is my laundry list:
Mirage
Destiny
Defender (One of my favs)
Hefe

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 21 June 1999).]

Paladin- any of the twelve peers of Charlamagne; hence, a paragon of knighthood

Paragon- model of greatness

Bolster Lock

Danny

Well, all I can say is try very hard to select a fine, memorable, and awesomely cool name (the list above has many). Otherwise, a knife with a Damascus blade, Bolster lock, and Ti frame is destined to be called the Ti-D-Bol. Which I'm guessing is not the desired result.
smile.gif

------------------
Wolf
Always store beer in a dark place.

Back