Need opinions for a cruise knife!

Let me start off by saying I respect your input in every thread you post in. I feel your knowledge adds a lot to this forum.
I feel at times you don’t understand people’s attachments to certain styles of knives. I respect your opinion but your right answer isnt always the right answer.

People ask for our suggestions and we give them.

For me when someone offers an suggestion different then mine, I do not feel it is because they "don't understand" and/or their answer "isn't the right answer."

I merely feel they have a different opinion. Of course, you are certainly welcome to feel otherwise, but it would seem that would make participating in a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas a very difficult experience. :thumbsup:

Of those 3 I personally would probably look at the Dragonfly
I'll second (or third, or fourth...) the Salt series vote. I have a fully serrated Salt Dragonfly that's my beach carry. Super lightweight, fairly inexpensive, and well suited to the role. Sits in my glove box the other 348 days of the year, since its bright yellow it's easy to see back in the corner under the pens and tire gauges and paper napkins.

Yellow would definitely be a great cruise color, and the Dragonfly has a clip, unlike the Ladybug/Manbug. That could come in handy on a cruise if you don't have pockets, or already have too much stuff in them. There is also a Hawkbill version, if you like that.

It would be a great excuse to test the stainless capability of the salt but you may want to also carry a cadet. Hard to open foreign beer bottles with a Spydie hole and my teeth are not what they used to be.....
Use the butt of the handle, with the knife turned on its side.
Brace the bottle just under the cap, and use the liner/Ti slab like you would a counter edge, lighter, or other prying tool.

Bottle caps are easy...

I would rather end up with a knife that I would use frequently later on, like a Spydiechef, or a Tusk.
Too bad they are both over budget.

My uncle had a Case baby copperhead taken away from him two or three years ago before he boarded a cruise ship.
Knives don't come much smaller than that lol.
Don't know which cruise line it was.
It was an older one too with carbon steel blades. Took me a long time to find a replacement to give him for a Christmas present.
He said he'd make sure that he didn't lose this one in the same manner lol.

If it were me, I'd carry something like a Vic Spartan. Cap lifer and cork screw might come in handy. This isn't my regular SAK that I normally carry as I never use a cork screw. You don't need much knife.

I would recommend that you buy what you like. Your cruise will only last a few days to a week and a cruise does not require a specific specialty knife. Buy something that you will like to use when the cruise is over. Buy american made if possible. I would suggest kershaw leek in 14c28n or the carbon fiber cpm154 version. Or for syderco, get the lightweight native5. The s35vn will have all of the rust resistance you will need for a cruise. If you need larger, consider the lightweight manix. I think the full size buck vantage is very nice for the money if you want to keep the price lower. It has a very "slicey" blade.

A little off topic but for those who carry let's say a Salt Dragonfly in your swimsuit at the beach, pool, or lake do you clip it to the pocket of your suit and swim/get in the ocean with it?
I've never carried a knife at the pool, beach or days at the lake on the boat except if I'm fishing or in the glovebox of the boat but one of those would really come in handy this summer for many different tasks plus it's an excuse to buy a new knife.

A little off topic but for those who carry let's say a Salt Dragonfly in your swimsuit at the beach, pool, or lake do you clip it to the pocket of your suit and swim/get in the ocean with it?
I've never carried a knife at the pool, beach or days at the lake on the boat except if I'm fishing or in the glovebox of the boat but one of those would really come in handy this summer for many different tasks plus it's an excuse to buy a new knife.
Like I mentioned previously, I put a salt ladybug hawkbill into that pointlessly tiny pocket that is inside men’s swimsuits. Fits perfectly and isn’t too hard to dig out. I swim with it in the ocean and pool and have had no issues other than a few trips through the washer/dryer. It doesn’t seem to mind. No pocket clip. Don’t know how well the dragonfly would fit.

I would look past the unnecessary demand for a locking blade and just get a Victorinox recruit.

It is necessary...he specifically asked for one. He is looking for one.

How about something kinda cool/gentlemanly/stylish? I'm thinking Boker Urban Trapper of all things. I could see slicing a lime or piece of raw fish with that. Kinda sleek. Sean Connery James Bond-ish kinda vibe.

I usually take a Leatherman Wave in my luggage. There is no need to carry it around since most excursions are well contained and you will have a hassle as you walk through customs and the metal detectors to board ship. But, it does come in handy for doing minor repairs to just about anything that you may have with you in your cabin; like tightening lugage bits, cutting tags off of merchandise, putting that lens back into your sunglasses....as a mini toolbox. Oh...ok, it would probably also be a useful tool to have if the ship sinks on you.....but, why would you book that vacation. :D Have fun!

n2s

Doing a carnival cruise just booked for the summer, and they allow knives under 4” blade length believe it or not, I did check. What would be a good blade to take? Im thinking obviously something quite stainless for ocean and beach time. And something fairly inexpensive incase theft, loss or whatever. Thought about taking my bm triage due to the blade stainless quality but thinking maybe time to try a salt series! Any opinions would be appreciated

You could get an Opinel in inox. No. 6 is the smallest locking model. If you don't mind partially serrated, look at their Outdoor-Survival line, inox and plastic handle.

Lol, good one! Hilarious. :D[/QUOTE. I would suggest an Opinel In stainless Inox with barrel lock as it is sharp and inexpensive but them darn wood handles tend to tighten the blade to point of very hard to open in any humidity or water e
You could get an Opinel in inox. No. 6 is the smallest locking model. If you don't mind partially serrated, look at their Outdoor-Survival line, inox and plastic handle.

I love Opinels and have a No 8 In Inox Steel. The only issue is the handle in humid or water environments tends to shrink and makes opening the blade a bit tough. I solved this by putting mine In an oven at 150 degrees for an hour to get moisture out then using linseed oil on handle.

C8FBE6A5-E6F0-4795-9C9C-92B42274A62F.jpeg Maybe a knife with a theme like the David Boye Blue Whale and a Vic Waiter for the chores.

Cruise Style Steak Cutter!! At least that's how I see it.
IC4rp0h.jpg

Back