Need opinions for a cruise knife!

A little off topic but for those who carry let's say a Salt Dragonfly in your swimsuit at the beach, pool, or lake do you clip it to the pocket of your suit and swim/get in the ocean with it?
I've never carried a knife at the pool, beach or days at the lake on the boat except if I'm fishing or in the glovebox of the boat but one of those would really come in handy this summer for many different tasks plus it's an excuse to buy a new knife.
I find the Dragonfly carries with nearly the same footprint as a Ladybug. If you wanted a knife with a clip and a bit bigger grip/edge it would be a good choice.

I carried a SpydieChef quite a bit in surf shorts this summer mostly IWB and found it was great for that but I think it's over the size and price limits for this thread. the wire clip and the super thin and flat profile were great.

Cruise Style Steak Cutter!! At least that's how I see it.
IC4rp0h.jpg
R those scales ti or stainless? It’s nice

Oooh were did ya get those only ones I’ve seen were the wilkins scales

Oooh were did ya get those only ones I’ve seen were the wilkins scales
That is a factory knife. Ti and VG-10 Damascus. They were pretty pricey when they came out , but my buddy had a few from their close out on them and he let me have it for $85. I figured that was a heck of a deal for a "Gentleman's Cruise" knife.

Last edited:
Doing a carnival cruise just booked for the summer, and they allow knives under 4” blade length believe it or not, I did check. What would be a good blade to take? Im thinking obviously something quite stainless for ocean and beach time. And something fairly inexpensive incase theft, loss or whatever. Thought about taking my bm triage due to the blade stainless quality but thinking maybe time to try a salt series! Any opinions would be appreciated
I've been on many cruises and recently went on one over Thanksgiving, I brought 2 Spyderco Salt knives for water activities and my Spyderco Native 5 Fluted CF S90V for a dressier option as well as a SAK Cadet. Quick tip, if you wear board shorts in the ocean, get some para cord and tie one end to your knife and the other end to your board shorts. That way if it comes unclipped it won't be lost to Davey Jones Locker. Also, I went with my DLC coated Salts because if your going to the Caribbean or Mexico, Barracudas will be attracted to the shiny uncoated blades. Even though knives are allowed Security will tell you it's "not recommended" to bring them off the ship and you should leave them in your room. I always told them they were for diving (which was true) and I always declared them when I returned to the ship. It's understandable if you're going to another country, their laws may be vastly different. I got the feeling that if you told them (ship security) what you were doing with them you were ok, but if you caught them off guard when returning to the ship and going through the metal detectors they were not so happy.

Was it Carnival as well? If so why would they give attitude if they’re allowed

Was it Carnival as well? If so why would they give attitude if they’re allowed
It was Holland America which is owned by Carnival so basically the same rules apply. It seemed like with most places these days the Security really didn't know their own policy. I inquired before I went this last time to get more info on knife regs and their customer service actually told me that NO knives were allowed, which was obviously false. At the end of the day, if it's not an absurd size the Security is just as much focused on pleasing the cruisers and customer service as they are on security, like I said being straight up with them when I left the ship and when I came back led me to have no issues what so ever. One thing I forgot though is that if your knife is "big" and "murdery" in your checked bag it may be flagged by initial screening before they take your bags to your room, that happened to me not this time but the one before that. I got called to the security office the night of the first day, after being worried that my bag had not made it to my room yet, when everyone else's had.

No flying driving to the port. But since u do this often, do u no the knife related laws for Nassau and Freeport? Can’t find much about it other than “dangerous knives aren’t allowed”. Lol

How about something kinda cool/gentlemanly/stylish? I'm thinking Boker Urban Trapper of all things. I could see slicing a lime or piece of raw fish with that. Kinda sleek. Sean Connery James Bond-ish kinda vibe.

It DOES have a Bond... James Bond... kinda vibe! Titanium framelock with a ball bearing pivot and VG-10 stainless. :thumbsup:

And if you get the Petite version, it actually weighs less than the Dragonfly Salt!

I say Dragonfly over Manbug or Ladybug because it has a pocket clip, and Pocket Clip = Money Clip.... useful on cruises.

I think everyone suggesting corrosion resistant Salt series knives are missing the point of a cruise knife; If salt water corrosion becomes a problem for a cruise knife, you've got MUCH bigger problems to worry about!

Go with a SAK Pro Grip; locking blade and you'll be able to get those pesky beer and wine bottles open!
View attachment 832192

Yes butt will be spending a reasonable amount of time on shore and beach sand and such and I don’t wanna have to worry over it! So that’s why

Leatherman style keychain knife (for the bottle opener), and a Buck Vantage 420hc for an inexpensive stainless blade.

Doing a carnival cruise just booked for the summer, and they allow knives under 4” blade length believe it or not, I did check. What would be a good blade to take? Im thinking obviously something quite stainless for ocean and beach time. And something fairly inexpensive incase theft, loss or whatever. Thought about taking my bm triage due to the blade stainless quality but thinking maybe time to try a salt series! Any opinions would be appreciated
Do yourself a favor and get one of these:

timthumb.php

Vic One hand trekker or soldier. They're not glamorous, but tend not to get stolen and will take care of whatever you need to do.

Just got back from a Norwegian cruise. I took an Opinel No. 8 and my wife took a Dragonfly Salt. Their literature also mentioned 4” inches but didn’t really specify whether that was overall length, open length or blade length, so I was a bit worried. Got on the boat okay with them in the luggage, but I was a bit concerned about the excursions so I didn’t try to get off and back on with them.

I chose those knives because the Dragonfly appeared to meet the criteria any way you checked and the Opinel because if they hassled me about it I could just throw it away. I wasn’t about to to throw away a good knife or try and get it back to my car, too much stress.

Back