Need opinions for a cruise knife!

I know it's sacrilege to suggest on knife forum, but leave your knives at home, what you really need and will find much more useful is cheap but waterproof wrist watch. With all the fun in sun & on the beach time sure flies by :) last thing you want is to be late back to ship. (phones run out of power unlike wrist watches) Cruise ships run on strict schedule for both meals and port departures, neither of which you want to miss ever :(

I know some of us feel naked withoud at least 1 knife on us at all times, in that case I suggest discreetly "borrowing" steak knife while on board of ship, for duration of cruise. Also at all times be aware of all available knives/tools/things around you that can be used in emergency.

But on shore excursions I would advise against bringing any knives, last thing you want to do is deal with foreign legal system :(
Instead bring heavy rope belt with big "decorative" monkey fist type knots or couple of plastic or wooden chopsticks, so you don't feel completely naked, while appearing totally harmless ;)

The OP is obviously just looking for an excuse to buy a new knife, so buy whatever.

Let's face it, there's not a single thing that's going to happen on that cruise that the OP couldn't just say "Hey, grab me another beer and, could you cut this tag for me?"

Oh, but the OP might go out for an 'excursion' and a knife could be handy then too? Sure... "Hey, could you cut the tag off this sweet pair of flip flops and bottle of overpriced tourist tequila I just bought? Thanks..."

As for practicality, I vote for a cheap pair of scissors. They won't get confiscated and they'll be useful for cutting off tags and wrist bands.

Im a grown adult I didn’t look for excuses or justifications from strangers just wanted opinions with someone with experience on a cruise please don’t advise me to steal a eating utensil for self defense like an inmate making shivs! Lol I never asked for any advice on weapons, defense or a dang terrorist situation but thanks lol

IMG_0211.JPG I think all you need is a Swiss Army knife, the Tinker or even the Classic. Just for odd little jobs, most of your needs are met on the cruise. Or if to be different, a small Opinel, like the #6 in stainless, the smallest with the barrel lock. I have always wondered if those stainless utility with file, blade, and bottle opener that comes in a toiletry kit would be adequate.

Now, just to throw this out there, pick up a knife in one your stops, at least decent quality and a momento of your cruise. I picked up this one on St. Thomas on our first cruise in 1995, I really liked it because it looked like scrimshaw ( real bone I think) with a breaching whale and a tall ship.

Last edited:
I haven't been on a cruise ship but I do carry a boat knife -

The Opinel - N° 08 Outdoor Survival Pocket Knife - It has a whistle too :D

3.35 " blade of "Sandvik 12C27 modified stainless steel. It is anti-corrosive thanks to the addition of chrome and requires no special maintenance. Its carbon content of at least 0.40% provides an excellent cutting edge." From the web site. Oh - just sos ya know - $ 40.00 from the Opinel web site.Other sources may vary. More color options too!

Has been a great little boating knife - though not a one hand opener. Kept wicked sharp with my Sharpmaker.

Have fun on the cruise, whatever your cutlery :thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
It goes without saying, if you do take one, load it into your checked baggage on the plane if you have to travel to a port.

Vic "Signature".
Has scissors, nail file, small blade, tweezers (the toothpick from a Classic fits if you prefer a toothpick instead of the tweezers) and a pen, so you can sign all the whatever's you have to aboard ship.
If you want a single blade locking knife, consider adding one of the synthetic handled Opinels in size 8.
They only come with a stainless blade. Unfortunately (IMHO) they are all partially serrated.
Some even have a whistle built into the handle.
(EDIT: See post 86, above.)

The twist ring lock works quite well, and can be used to lock the blade closed as well as open.

Neither of these come across as "threatening" to non knife people. If you should decide to use your Opinel at the dining table, no one would look at you askance.

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget the camera, extra batteries (if applicable) and charger and cord (if applicable).
:)

Last edited:
Vic Hunter. Locking blade, gutting blade for that stubborn steak or great white shark that you catch, woodsaw to get saw thru your chair so that when you "accidently fall" you can sue for 2 million dollars, and a corkscrew for when you steal some wine from the bar because you don't want to spend an extra $60 for a $10 bottle of wine. Booze is usually extra $ right?

Just get a new knife. You want a new knife. Get what you like. If you decide it's "too big", buy another or take one you already have with you. I have to admit that I'm not taking this thread too seriously any more.

I think the whole thing is we all like knives, and he doesn't want to be without one, even on a cruise. Still have to satisfy the need for one, maybe he just wants a new one, but that is okay, that is the fun of this place. We all need to be careful or at least be aware of the possibility of getting into trouble with authorities, or losing our favorite knives, or the knives we like to carry.

Just get a new knife. You want a new knife. Get what you like. If you decide it's "too big", buy another or take one you already have with you. I have to admit that I'm not taking this thread too seriously any more.
Wasn’t supposed to be topic of the most serious! Thought it would be a different and fun topic! Seriously? Getting very negative opinions about knife discussion on knife forum lol

I think the whole thing is we all like knives, and he doesn't want to be without one, even on a cruise. Still have to satisfy the need for one, maybe he just wants a new one, but that is okay, that is the fun of this place. We all need to be careful or at least be aware of the possibility of getting into trouble with authorities, or losing our favorite knives, or the knives we like to carry.
C he gets it! Thanks

Wasn’t supposed to be topic of the most serious! Thought it would be a different and fun topic! Seriously? Getting very negative opinions about knife discussion on knife forum lol

^ :D still - I would not have expected pushing 6 pages of replies to this question.
We do take our knives seriously :rolleyes:

I just had to play too. :cool:

Ray

Don't give the negative ones the pleasure, just have fun and keep going!! They will always be there. One way to really have fun with this, I think there are threads on this already, is to just take pics of your knife in the various locations you visit, shown in creative ways. Like against a rock on top of a mountain, or in a log in the forest, or on a sand dune at the beach ( winter here so need to to wait for warmer weather), or at the camp site next to some hot food or beverage in a kuksa ( been hanging around the bushcraft site again ). Have fun and give us more pics!!! We knife guys like that.

Last edited:
Been on 30 some cruises and been taking the same knife for most of them. SAK Midnight Manager. It is small and has a light (bathroom to get rid of the beer), caplifter (order a bucket of beer, they open the first one and you can do the rest) and scissors. Also has all the other standard stuff but I use those 3 the most along with the nail file.
Not very macho but works well for me.

Venice, you're a man of experience who like's his beer! :D On stuff like this, I just fall back to a SAK as they are unobtrusive, stainless steel, and not high on the list of things for the maids to steel from your room since they probably have plenty already. ;) I really do feel a little naked or lacking when I don't have some kind of a knife on me.

Im a grown adult I didn’t look for excuses or justifications from strangers just wanted opinions with someone with experience on a cruise please don’t advise me to steal a eating utensil for self defense like an inmate making shivs! Lol I never asked for any advice on weapons, defense or a dang terrorist situation but thanks lol
I recommended the One Hand Trekker from Vic based on your criteria, but really, I wouldn't carry that with me if I were going.

The cruise may say 4" or less, but some locales may have different rules. I prefer to travel with something that's as universally legal as possible. Something like a Deluxe Tinker or a Leatherman Squirt.

They provide a ton of utility and have non-locking blades under 3" that require two hands to open. As close to borderless as you're going to get. I took a Tinker on my one cruise experience and had no rust issues. Just wiped/rinsed it a couple times a day.

Back