New Forum software thread. . .

Spark,

PM popup notifications lead to a 404 Not Found error if used to access the Private Message box.
However, the PM Notifications tab up at the top is working fine. :)

Not getting it in ie or chrome. What browser?

IE8. Someone shoot me a PM and I'll see if it repeats.

ETA: Dunno if it makes a difference... I usually click cancel on the open in new window option, then click view the message. If it happens again, I'll let you know.

OK, Spark, I got this again and here's the deal:

It happens when I get a popup PM notification. I deny the option to read in a new window, then accept the option to read the PM (in the current window) ETA: My bad, I have the order backwards...It's:
You have a new private message.

Sender: XXXXX
Title: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Click OK to view it, or cancel to hide this prompt

I click OK, then choose the option to read in current window. That's when the 404 message appears.
Here's the 404 Not Found screen capture:
BFC_PM-404error.jpg

Here's the current URL for PM's:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/private.php

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
OK, Spark, I got this again and here's the deal:

It happens when I get a popup PM notification. I deny the option to read in a new window, then accept the option to read the PM (in the current window) ETA: My bad... It's:
You have a new private message.

Sender: XXXXX
Title: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Click OK to view it, or cancel to hide this prompt

I click OK, then choose the option to read in current window. That's when the 404 message appears.
Here's the 404 Not Found screen capture:
BFC_PM-404error.jpg

Here's the current URL for PM's:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/private.php

Hope this helps! :)

Part of the same issue as the thread display options down below. Waiting on a response from support

Part of the same issue as the thread display options down below. Waiting on a response from support

Cool, man. No worries! I just had a chance to nail it down, so I did. Like I said before, the other notifications tab up top definitely works fine to access PM's and such. :)
Thank you Spark! All your efforts are much appreciated on this end. :thumbup:

For those of you disliking the brightness, what do you think now?

I think it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Now can we please dispense with those giant envelopes?

Last edited:
I think it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Now can we please dispense with those giant envelopes?

+1 Yes those things are uglying up our/your forum - can you make them gone please? :)

Giant envelopes being replaced are a low priority. Especially since you guys are wanting huge text next to it.

The(started by) under the threads are back to the left.
It was much easier to read when they were to the right.

I'm running NoSquint on Firefox in one of the grey background settings and readability/ease on the eyes is much improved. I recommend it. I've got dark grey for unvisited links and gray/green for visited links. I still prefer the navigation of the old version, such as the way subforums were organized more vertically under headings rather than grouped horizontally.

Where does one find this app?

In Firefox, click on Tools, Add-ons, Get Add-ons. Then if you know what you want you can search for it. You can also browse all Add-ons and find cool things you never heard of.

That's weird. I'm not sure what's going on here. This is a unique problem. I also don't see your subscription. When did you pay for it, & what method?

Should be fixed

Will investigate

Can you give me the exact URL where you are seeing this?

Can you give me the exact URL where you are seeing this? Which forum was that in.

Need more info. Which "reply to thread" button specifically?

It has been addressed, thanks for listening and having such a great forum! :thumbup:

"Recent Threads "
Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum

I noticed that hitting "New Posts" now brings up the unread new posts - not all recent posts as I think the old software did. So now, if you read a post it disappears from the New Posts list.

I would much prefer New Posts to list all recent posts, even if they have been read. Just my 2 cents. :thumbup:

The(started by) under the threads are back to the left.
It was much easier to read when they were to the right.
I'm going to have to completely revamp that section of the templates because of how attachment / tag / subscription icons are handled.
I noticed that hitting "New Posts" now brings up the unread new posts - not all recent posts as I think the old software did. So now, if you read a post it disappears from the New Posts list.
Not a possibility AFAIK, sorry.
Any chance we can get the option of using the old Vbulletin view?
Nope, because the old vbulletin view isn't compatible with the new new template system. If you have specific issues and suggestions I'll do what I can, but I need specific suggestions.

i haven't read the whole thread, but two questions:

1. will the quick links to the subforums be back?
2. will the statistics tab in the profiles be back (total posts, posts per day, etc)?

When viewing a page of threads, it would be better to have just the name of the individual underneath, instead of "started by blah blah at blah blah time"

More importantly, the page numbers and their corresponding links should be on the same line as the title, so they are easily accessible. When the started by line was to the right, I would end up clicking onto the first page of a long thread because the navigation was buried in the gibberish.

The format of title and pages on top and name of thread starter below in smaller type size is superior. (Check default style at JD for reference)

Another issue is why the serif font? Never had it before. It makes stuff look more alien and cluttered.

When viewing a page of threads, it would be better to have just the name of the individual underneath, instead of "started by blah blah at blah blah time"

More importantly, the page numbers and their corresponding links should be on the same line as the title, so they are easily accessible. When the started by line was to the right, I would end up clicking onto the first page of a long thread because the navigation was buried in the gibberish.

The format of title and pages on top and name of thread starter below in smaller type size is superior. (Check default style at JD for reference)

Another issue is why the serif font? Never had it before. It makes stuff look more alien and cluttered.
Jerzeedevil is using the older 3.8.x software, hence the different layout.

Serifs were requested in the large print thread, please address large print style issues in that thread.

Back