No Vacation! Starring Snark W. Griswold

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by The Warrior, Mar 21, 2020.

1. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    you use half and half in your yogurt?
    I just use 2% and then strain it down to 1/2 volume.
    sometimes i use the whey instead of stout for the liquid in my bread.

2. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    50% grass-fed whole milk, 50% organic (grass-fed if I can get it, harder) half-and-half.
    Try it, it will blow your mind.
    I do not eat reduced-fat anything. Don't take the food out of my food. One of the reasons to yogurtify milk is to reduce the lactose (a sugar). If you use whole milk, your calorie balance is a lower carb-to-other ratio in the first place. Fat slows down the absorbtion of sugars and causes you to feel satiated sooner, reducing the compulsion to eat more. And the calories burn slower, because fat takes more metabolic steps to digest than simple carbs (or even complex carbs). Fat also doesn't trigger an insulin response, and therefore doesn't tell your body to store those calories (which aren't even carbs yet anyway) as body fat. Fat in your diet has to be processed, it doesn't go straight to your thighs.

I use grass-fed dairy (and buy grass-fed cheese) because it has a higher ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats. If we feed our critters their natural-evolved diet, they are healthier and produce food for us that is better matched to our own evolved digestive/metabolic/reconstructive needs. A higher omega-3 ratio tends to reduce chronic low-grade inflammation in the body (hence all the supplements etc.).

But ultimately, high-fat yogurt is so damn good, you'll never go back. No need to strain it because it's not mostly water... And it burns slowly, so you won't be starving between meals. Even just going to whole milk yogurt will taste way better.

(Ooops, I'm getting off my yogurt box now. Sorry!!)

Tanker 1/66, 1066vik and GeofS like this.
  3. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Cool R/C jet:

4. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    WOW! That guy controlling that Jet was DAMM GOOD :D Thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup: That Jet is AWESOME!

5. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Lot of cool R/C vids on the tube. :thumbsup: Check out this helicopter. Give it a few minutes to get wild:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  6. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    CRAZY :p:p R/Cs sure have come a long way :thumbsup::thumbsup:

tanglediver, GeofS and The Warrior like this.
  7. Galeocerdoshark

Galeocerdoshark

May 21, 2011
    Been prospecting hard with Google maps, looking for some spots to hunt when we're allowed to make non essential trips again. I really need to get back out there with my sifting gear, shovel, hammers and of course my Becker knives. Out of pure boredom I even dug some holes in my yard and planted some stuff. Yuck!

8. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Get REALLY drunk and bury some of your fossil collection in your back yard. Then go out and find them next week.

9. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I bought some gold pans and a couple of classifiers, gold panning was supposed to be my spring project with two of my boys. I thought I'd tap into their capitalist pig* nature to get them away from video games.

*No offense intended to Capitalist pigs, I count myself among you.

10. Galeocerdoshark

Galeocerdoshark

May 21, 2011
    This is a freakin' great idea for multiple reasons!
    Not sure if my SO would agree. I'd probably destroy some of her flowers in the process.

I did exactly the same. Never really went gem hunting before but I just ordered a pan last night. It's not that there's a ton of that yellow stuff being found in my tiny country, and I'm not even sure if you're allowed to dig in river banks but you can't know if you don't try.

1066vik and GeofS like this.
  11. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    We just had a hell of a storm go through. Was wondering if we were going to get a tornado or not. I don't have a garage, or carport, so I always worry about getting hail damage. The wife and I drove our cars to the car wash, and parked in there, haha. I just filed for a work permit today, to start building an attached carport. I have to pay the $30 dollar fee for the permit, knowing it's going to be denied, because the town I live in requires a structure to be 7 feet off the property line. The carport will be 2 and a half feet from the line. After it gets denied, I have to pay $300 to get a variance approved. I then have to wait for that to get approved before I can start building, if it gets approved. Whether it does or not, it still costs me $300. When I talked to the building inspector, he said he's never seen one get denied, so I hope all goes well.

12. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Good luck!

GeofS likes this.
  13. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I hate silly bureaucracy. :thumbsdown:

Galeocerdoshark, Xr6x and DunkEm like this.
  14. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks man.

I hear ya. It's how the city makes a few extra bucks I guess.

Galeocerdoshark and GeofS like this.
  15. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Hoping to get the driveway rocked when we get the carport done, and build a deck on back of the house. Then, I'm either going to build, or buy a shed to make a much needed little workshop.

Galeocerdoshark, Xr6x, DunkEm and 3 others like this.
  16. tanglediver

tanglediver Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Sounds like the only road to Carportville is bumpy and uphill. :cool:

Xr6x, The Warrior and Aikiguy like this.
  17. Galeocerdoshark

Galeocerdoshark

May 21, 2011
    That sucks. My country is very bureaucratic as well. It has been for decades, hence there's a pretty large and widespread sense of civil disobedience in that regard. Everyone has sheds in their yard and non have permits.
    Last year I wanted to have a bunch of trees cut down, but they're quite strict in that regard so I applied for a permit. As you said, first there's a fee for administration or whatever, and then you have to submit a plan of what trees there are, how far they are from the property line, pictures etc. etc.
    I applied for the permit, 3 months later without any comment of the agency in the meantime, it got declined. Reason: I did not draw on my map from what angle in the yard I took the pictures of my trees... Kafkaesk, for real. It didn't even state this in the instructions, lol. Oh well. Trees are gone now.

Aikiguy, The Warrior and Xr6x like this.
  18. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    That's why I'm glad I live in a rural environment in the free-est state in the free-est country.

When I needed to build a new garage, I just had it built. Ditto with a new work shop and a bathroom/laundry room/office addition to the house. When I needed to tear down a building or cut a few trees or plant an orchard - done.

Sorry for y'all's issues, but no HOAs or no city rules for me. Gotta paint your house to a list of "approved" colors? Can't replace a roof without a permit? Some dumbass board dictating what I can or can't do???

Nope.

DunkEm, dogboye and Galeocerdoshark like this.
  19. bearfacedkiller

bearfacedkiller Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    My current house as well as the house before this one both only ever had one permit drawn on them and those were the initial permits to build.

I am the last house on a dead end dirt road in the woods. I do what I want when I want. We don’t need no stinking permits!

Galeocerdoshark likes this.
  20. gmoneyluv

gmoneyluv Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Holy shit! I did not know you were into comics?

EVS is an incredible artist. Have you been following his Indiegogo campaigns?

GeofS likes this.