Osage is the new Black, er...Bog Oak...

I recently picked up Drop Point Maverick from the knives Andy took to the ICCE show, as soon as I saw pictures of it on the table I knew it was 'The One". I love my Maverick in Osage, the handle is so comfortable, but really wanted the drop point version.

These 2 knives show how Osage can differ in shade and grain structure even before much use and exposure to sunlight. Each of the 4 slabs has something different to look at.

Andy or Allen could probably help with this but I'm sure the age of the wood when harvested and then amount of time until cut/used must have a bearing on the color of the wood .

Last edited:
I recently picked up Drop Point Maverick from the knives Andy took to the ICCE show, as soon as I saw pictures of it on the table I knew it was 'The One". I love my Maverick in Osage, the handle is so comfortable, but really wanted the drop point version.

These 2 knives show how Osage can differ in shade and grain structure even before much use and exposure to sunlight. Each of the 4 slabs has something different to look at.

Andy or Allen could probably help with this but I'm sure the age of the wood when harvested and then amount of time until cut/used must have a bearing on the color of the wood .

With plants, all plants, there are a lot of factors. Some you mentioned, but also the soil content where it grew, the amount of light while growing, the water and moisture levels of the area it grew in, can all effect not only the size and shape of a tree, but also the color of the wood.

Cool, thanks Brian.

Color variation in wood was something I dealt with a lot as a cabinet maker, especially with the panels and doors. There is a fine line between adding character, and making it look like you were just too damned lazy to find a piece with a different color to it for particular parts :)

So much Osage! But damn I think it's pretty.

My son's favorite knife sandwiched between my two most regularly used blades. And a beautiful osage Tetsubo by Ben Tendick.

IMG_9256-vi.jpg

The knife is cool, that goes without saying. But is that a railroad spike handled ball peen hammer? I like it.

I was thinking the exact same thing. EXACTLY the same thing. I thought it would be perfect for kicking around on a cluttered bench top waiting for the next thing to tweak.

Phillip, got any idea what size the head is? looks like about 10 oz

My son's favorite knife sandwiched between my two most regularly used blades. And a beautiful osage Tetsubo by Ben Tendick.

[newb alert] What is the middle knife [/newb alert], and why is it your son's favorite?

Thanks!

~ P.

My friend don't ever hesitate to ask questions on here. I've been at this for about a year and I'm still new to the game. This is a remarkably generous place and almost everyone on here is always willing to help. Ask away.

I believe that middle knife is a pocket Kephart. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will come in and correct me if I am. It is wrapped in Osage orange with blue stripes.

It is my son's favorite and most treasured knife because it was a surprise gift from a remarkably generous friend. He sent it to him unexpectedly and it was something that the original owner used quite often and treasured himself. He gave it to my son out of kindness and compassion and respect for what my son has been through. I almost lost him to a brain tumor and his medical issues continue to challenge him on a daily basis. And it was that kindness that endeared my son not just to the blade but to the owner.

In many ways it meant even more to me. I had seen this friend go through some rough times on here. I saw his character questioned. And yet I've seen him act behind the scenes, sometimes anonymously, with consistent generosity and kindness and compassion and integrity. So when this thing showed up in a box with my son's name on it I was stunned - and yet not surprised.

And I also know that he's the kind of guy who does not want me posting his name. So let's just say that he's fond of Bud Light, and his dog Maximus tends to be the star of the show on his Instagram account.

It's not the knife. It's everything else. It's why I stick by these guys at Fiddleback Forge no matter what.

My friend don't ever hesitate to ask questions on here. I've been at this for about a year and I'm still new to the game. This is a remarkably generous place and almost everyone on here is always willing to help. Ask away.

I believe that middle knife is a pocket Kephart. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will come in and correct me if I am. It is wrapped in Osage orange with blue stripes.

It is my son's favorite and most treasured knife because it was a surprise gift from a remarkably generous friend. He sent it to him unexpectedly and it was something that the original owner used quite often and treasured himself. He gave it to my son out of kindness and compassion and respect for what my son has been through. I almost lost him to a brain tumor and his medical issues continue to challenge him on a daily basis. And it was that kindness that endeared my son not just to the blade but to the owner.

In many ways it meant even more to me. I had seen this friend go through some rough times on here. I saw his character questioned. And yet I've seen him act behind the scenes, sometimes anonymously, with consistent generosity and kindness and compassion and integrity. So when this thing showed up in a box with my son's name on it I was stunned - and yet not surprised.

And I also know that he's the kind of guy who does not want me posting his name. So let's just say that he's fond of Bud Light, and his dog Maximus tends to be the star of the show on his Instagram account.

It's not the knife. It's everything else. It's why I stick by these guys at Fiddleback Forge no matter what.

This is just awesome. I mean truly awesome. I know that knife, and yes, it is a PK. I gotta agree with you Luca, it's definitely not just the knives. :D

Back