Para 3 in December CONFIRMED!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by kniferbro, Nov 12, 2016.

1. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Kind of want

2. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    I'm getting the feeling that any model in s110v blurple is a permanent model.

3. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    so its a shorter pm2? or is it scaled down too? reading this thread has me real confused. thanks for any feeedback.

4. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    It will be nice to get the actual published dimensions from Spyderco. I know as long as it has a compression lock it will be on my purchase list. For EDC the smaller size will suit me just fine. I imagine the fact sheet can't be far behind now and the major vendors must be notifying their IT guys with details to get the web sites ready.

,,,Mike in Canada

5. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Scaled down, slight tweaks, PM2 remains :D

6. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Maybe its because some of us like and use lanyard holes.

Um, no. It's pretty much inevitable that the blade of a folder will be shorter than the handle it folds into. If you want more blade length than handle length, stick with fixed blades. The rest of us carry folders for the convenience of carrying a knife in our pocket without stabbing ourselves in the leg every time we sit down.

7. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    I love my PM2s. Having said that, I'm glad the PM3 is finally here.

I was saving money for a Strider, but I think I'll pass on that and pick up a few of these. I'm diggin' it.

I am chagrined that the large lanyard hole remained. I am not, nor will I ever be...a "lanyard on a folder" guy.

8. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    If it's a scaled down version of the Paramilitary 2... I'm already digging this thing. I sorta wish they'd go ahead and put the specs out there for us...

9. hfrog355

hfrog355

Apr 11, 2014
    Love the PM2, so will undoubtedly wind up owning one of these, but will probably wait for the Sprints/Exclusives to hit.

10. Nfd538

Nfd538

Jul 9, 2015
    Same here

11. toxophilus

toxophilus Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2015
  12. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Trying to decide between this and the sage 5... Guess it will just have to be both

13. hfrog355

hfrog355

Apr 11, 2014
    +1

The sickness is taking hold, I see.

14. Kalibr906

Kalibr906

Jun 6, 2016
    Excited to see a smaller version of the PM2 but definitely have some areas of the Para 3 that I don't love. I am a big clip snob and I hate that they moved the clip location that far down (up?) the handle in tip down carry. It will be interesting to see the full specs on this bad boy though.

15. Rasco

Rasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2014
    That was the *only* thing that held me back from picking up a K2 when KnifeCenter had them for $150. Fantastic knife, but based on my past experience with the Military, another fantastic knife, I know I wouldn't carry it nearly enough to justify even $150. That was a tough one to pass up tho. >4" blade in a great steel, full Ti package... Damn...

16. Jordan@DLT

[email protected] Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jul 22, 2014
    I'm a clip snob as well, but it looks like it'll be fine a deep carry clip. It doesn't have too far to go.

17. wtlj

wtlj

Jun 30, 2014
    NAILED IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Thanks man! Some people here have no concept of a knife with blade to handle ratio because they never have owned one.

It makes no sense to have a long grip and short blade. To me that defeats the pupose of a "pocket" knife. One should want the most cutting length into a small package.

19. skwurll

skwurll

Oct 12, 2008
    I like the Para/Military just the way they are. If Spyderco changed anything on them, I'd have to move to Canada.

Nothing wrong w/Canada stabman... just some election nonsense humor... or lack of.:)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  20. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Wrong and wrong.

I own knives that have almost the same length of blade as handle...so what.
    Doesn't make it a better knife.

As for what one "should want", your personal preference does not a fact make.
    My dad, for instance, would like a longer handle on some of his folders compared to the blade, as he wants a knife with the control and leverage of a large handle, while not getting the fired from his job that a longer blade would bring. ;)

Scalpels have a long handle in comparison to the blade for the same reason; control.
    Many carving knives have longer handles than blades, and the folding versions of them would benefit from that as well.

Maybe you should just not buy the knives you don't like, rather than thinking others are somehow less informed for liking something different. :)